Kinematics: two dimensional motion, and vectors

In summary, the speaker is struggling in their physics class due to their teacher's teaching methods. They have failed a quiz and are seeking help for understanding vectors in two dimensional motion. They request links or explanations for applying trigonometry functions to vector problems and express frustration with their teacher's teaching style. They are grateful for any assistance.
stickchick596
Alright. My physics teacher sucks. So if the class isn't already difficult enough, I have someone that can't teach it to me to make it harder. I just failed a quiz today, [?] I just know I did. Now, I need help. [?] Can someone give me a link, or explain to me how vectors in two dimensional motion work. I understand Trig functions, I passed Geometry [zz)] , but I need to know how and when to apply the functions to a vector problem that uses the coordinate method to solve. Thanks a bunch.

Physics news on Phys.org
vectors in two dimensional motion sites

hi stickchick596:

If you want to find some sites involving two dimensional motion, just key in "vectors in two dimensional motion" and that should come up with some sites that deal with the subject. One site in particular that I thought might help is

http://www.wellesley.edu/Physics/phyllisflemingphysics/104_o_2dimmotion.html

I hope this will help clarify things for you.

WOW! thanks soooo much! If my teacher just explained this in the first place ( ) rather than assuming that we can just know physics, life would be so much easier! Thanks again!:smile:

1. What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities in kinematics?

Scalar quantities only have magnitude, while vector quantities have both magnitude and direction. In kinematics, scalar quantities include speed and distance, while vector quantities include displacement and velocity.

2. How is two-dimensional motion different from one-dimensional motion in kinematics?

In one-dimensional motion, an object only moves along one axis (typically the x-axis). In two-dimensional motion, an object moves along both the x-axis and the y-axis, and its motion can be described using vectors and trigonometric functions.

3. What is the difference between average and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time taken. Instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time, and can be found by taking the derivative of the position-time graph.

4. How do you add two vectors together in kinematics?

To add two vectors, you must first resolve them into their horizontal and vertical components. Then, you can add the horizontal components together and the vertical components together using basic algebra. Finally, you can find the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions.

5. How does projectile motion work in kinematics?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and then moves under the influence of gravity. In kinematics, it can be broken down into horizontal and vertical components, and the path of the object can be described using projectile motion equations and vectors.