Does anybody know the neurological explanation behind insomnia?

• Thread starter Entropia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explanation
In summary, the conversation discusses the neurochemical explanation behind insomnia. One explanation is that stress can disrupt the sleep process by throwing off the balance of neurochemicals. Another explanation is that long-term insomnia can be caused by a general imbalance in the neurochemical system. The release of cortisol at different frequencies throughout the day, known as the Circadian Rhythm, also plays a role in determining when we sleep. Stimulants and depressants can also alter the production of cortisol and affect sleep patterns. Ultimately, the thoughts and neurotransmitters must be in balance for good sleep to occur.
Entropia
Does anybody know the neurochemical explanation behind insomnia?

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org

Originally posted by Entropia

Sleep is a neurochemical and neurophysical process but I'm not sure that there is a specific neurochemical explanation for insomnia, stress can throw off the sleep process, therefore creating an abnormal balance. I'm fairly sure that is the only explanation. That is obviously only for stress-related or short-term insomnia.

I think long-term insomnia is caused by a general unbalance in the neurochemical system.

Originally posted by Entropia
Its called Dr. Pepper.

When you sleep is determined by your Circadian Rythm. This is a sort of bio-rythm that consists of the release of cortisol at different frequencies throughout the day. If you are not releasing cortisol at the proper frequency, then your sleep pattern will be confused. Your cortisol gets infrequent, when you don't follow any kind of schedule for sleeping (staying up late sometimes, and going to sleep early sometimes...), and/or when you use stimulants or depressants, which alter the production of cortisol in your system chemically.

I can't give a much more technical response, since I don't know that much about it, but that's my "two cents" for you.

hyper acetecholine/neurotransmiters

Where the thoughts go, the neurotransmitters will follow.

Where the neurotransmitters gather... so too will the thoughts.
Its a snowball effect.

Where the thoughts and the neurotransmitters get together, there will be poor-to-nil sleep.

Try turning off the thoughts. Sleep will be fair-to-middling.

Watch the sheep... except for Agnes, the ugly one.

1. What is insomnia?

Insomnia is a sleep disorder characterized by difficulty falling or staying asleep, or waking up too early and not being able to fall back asleep.

2. What are the symptoms of insomnia?

The main symptoms of insomnia include difficulty falling asleep, waking up frequently during the night, waking up too early, feeling tired upon waking up, and difficulty functioning during the day due to lack of sleep.

3. What causes insomnia?

There is no single cause of insomnia, but it can be caused by various factors such as stress, anxiety, depression, certain medications, and underlying medical conditions.

4. How does the brain play a role in insomnia?

The brain plays a crucial role in regulating sleep. Insomnia can be linked to disruptions in the brain's sleep-wake cycle, which can be caused by imbalances in certain neurotransmitters or hormones.

5. What are the neurological explanations behind insomnia?

Some neurological explanations for insomnia include hyperarousal, which is an overactive state of the brain that makes it difficult to fall asleep, and abnormalities in the brain's sleep patterns, such as decreased slow wave sleep or increased REM sleep.