How Do You Calculate Capacitance and Electric Potential?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the area of plates for a desired capacitance, and finding the potential at a certain distance from a nucleus of charge. The formula used for the first question is C=e_o (A/d) and for the second question, a Coulomb potential should be used instead of V=Ed.
Dx
[SOLVED] Capacitance potential

Hello,

I have 2 questions here to ask for help with?

1) a .2F cap is desired. What area must the pplates have if they are to be separated by a 2.2mm air gap?

My formula i used with substition was C=e_o (A/d) with e_o = 8.85x10^-12.

I rounded my answer it was 4.5 so rounded it to 5x10^7m^2 is this correct?

2)What is the potential at a distance of 5 x 10^-10 m from the nucleus of charge +60e?
I donno if my formula is correct? ids it V=Ed?

I donno how to solve for this, can you help point me that way.
Thanks!
Dx :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Dx
1) a .2F cap is desired. What area must the pplates have if they are to be separated by a 2.2mm air gap?

My formula i used with substition was C=e_o (A/d) with e_o = 8.85x10^-12.

I rounded my answer it was 4.5 so rounded it to 5x10^7m^2 is this correct?

Yes.

2)What is the potential at a distance of 5 x 10^-10 m from the nucleus of charge +60e?
I donno if my formula is correct? ids it V=Ed?

No, that formula only works for constant, uniform electric field. What you have here is a Coulomb potential, which you should be able to find in your book.

Hello,

For the first question, your formula and calculation are correct. The area of the plates should be approximately 5x10^7 m^2 to achieve a capacitance of 0.2F with a 2.2mm air gap.

For the second question, you are correct that the formula for potential is V=Ed. In this case, E represents the electric field strength, which can be calculated using the formula E=kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant (9x10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q is the charge of the nucleus (+60e = 60 times the charge of an electron), and r is the distance from the nucleus (5x10^-10 m). So the potential at this distance would be V= (9x10^9 Nm^2/C^2)(60e)(5x10^-10 m)/ (5x10^-10 m)^2 = 108 V.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is capacitance potential?

Capacitance potential refers to the amount of energy stored in a capacitor due to its ability to store and release electrical charge. It is measured in units of volts (V).

2. How is capacitance potential calculated?

The capacitance potential of a capacitor can be calculated using the formula C = Q/V, where C is capacitance in farads (F), Q is charge in coulombs (C), and V is voltage in volts (V).

3. What factors affect capacitance potential?

The capacitance potential of a capacitor is affected by the distance between its plates (d), the area of its plates (A), and the type of material used to separate the plates (ε). It is also influenced by the voltage and charge on the capacitor.

4. How does capacitance potential differ from capacitance?

Capacitance potential is a measure of the stored energy in a capacitor, while capacitance is a measure of the capacitor's ability to store charge. In other words, capacitance potential is a measure of the strength of the electric field within the capacitor, while capacitance is a measure of the amount of charge the capacitor can hold for a given potential difference.

5. What are some common applications of capacitance potential?

Capacitance potential has many practical applications, such as in electronic circuits for energy storage, filtering, and timing. It is also used in devices such as sensors, touch screens, and audio equipment. In addition, capacitance potential plays a crucial role in wireless communication technologies like radio and television broadcasting.