Kinematics Problem: Cockroach Collision Calculation and Solution

In summary, two cockroaches with accelerations of 0.20 m/s^2 and 0.12 m/s^2 respectively, begin running towards each other from a distance of 60 cm. Using the formula for displacement and the given accelerations, we can calculate their respective displacements and find the time at which they meet. Solving for t, we find that they meet at 3.33 seconds and have traveled a distance of 0.56 m and 0.22 m respectively before bumping into each other.
chonny
Please help me...I've been struggling for a long time over this following problem...

Some cockroaches can run as fast as 1.5 m/s. Suppose that two cockroaches are separated by a distance of 60 cm and that they begin to run toward each other at the same moment. Both insects have constant acceleration until they meet. The first cockroach has an acceleration of 0.20 m/s^2 in one direction and the second one has an acceleration of 0.12 m/s^2 in the opposite direction. How much time passes before the two insects bump into each other?

Please give me the answer and the steps leading to the answer as soon as possible...I am most grateful

If not...I will kill myself

Physics news on Phys.org
first convert the cm to m so you use the same units. then use your logic. if two things are accelerating towards each other, then what is their acceleration?

after, just plug it into the formula

and on a side note, this belongs in homework help

Well...I'm stuck at this certain point...

Roach #1 has the A=.20 m/s^2
Well Time = Change in Velocity / Acceleration
1.5m/s dividedby .2m/s^2 = 7.5 s

Roach 1 would have a displacement of 5.625m from 1/2 * 1.5m/s * 7.5s

Roach #2 has the A=.12 m/s^2
1.5m/s dividedby .12m/s^2 = 12.55s

Roach 2 would then have a displacement of 9.375m from 1/2 * 1.5m/s * 12.55s

...now I'm stuck...how would I figure out where they would bump in that .6m distance and how much time passes when they bump

Originally posted by chonny
Well...I'm stuck at this certain point...

Roach #1 has the A=.20 m/s^2
Well Time = Change in Velocity / Acceleration
1.5m/s dividedby .2m/s^2 = 7.5 s

Roach 1 would have a displacement of 5.625m from 1/2 * 1.5m/s * 7.5s

Roach #2 has the A=.12 m/s^2
1.5m/s dividedby .12m/s^2 = 12.55s

Roach 2 would then have a displacement of 9.375m from 1/2 * 1.5m/s * 12.55s

...now I'm stuck...how would I figure out where they would bump in that .6m distance and how much time passes when they bump

You appear to be assuming that the cockroaches accelerate to 1.5 m/s and that they meet when they reach that speed. That is not said anywhere in the problem. It simply says that "some cockroaches can run 1.5 m/s". Other than suggesting that the speed should not be more than that, it really isn't relevant to the problem.

If the first roach has acceleration 0.2 m/s^2, then its speed at any time, t, is 0.2 t m/s and the distance traveled (displacement) is 0.1 t^2 m.

If the second roach has acceleration .12 m/s^2, then its speed at any time, t, is 0.06 t m/s and the distance it traveled is 0.03 t^2 m.

At the time they meet they will, together, have covered the entire
60 cm= 0.6 m distance between them:

0.1 t^2+ 0.03 t^2= 0.6

Solve that for t to find when they meet and use that to determine the distance each has run to find where they meet.

Roach

1. How do you approach solving a kinematics problem involving a cockroach collision?

When solving a kinematics problem involving a cockroach collision, the first step is to clearly define the problem and identify the known and unknown variables. This will help determine which kinematic equations to use in the problem. It is also important to draw a diagram to visualize the situation and label all the variables.

2. What are the main kinematic equations used in solving a cockroach collision problem?

The main kinematic equations used in solving a cockroach collision problem are the equations of motion, namely:
1. v = u + at
2. s = ut + 1/2 at^2
3. v^2 = u^2 + 2as
Where
v = final velocity
u = initial velocity
a = acceleration
s = displacement
t = time

3. How do you determine the initial and final velocities of the colliding cockroaches?

The initial and final velocities of the colliding cockroaches can be determined by using the conservation of momentum principle. This means that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. By setting the initial and final momentum equations equal to each other and solving for the unknown velocities, we can determine both the initial and final velocities of the cockroaches.

4. What factors can affect the outcome of a cockroach collision?

Some factors that can affect the outcome of a cockroach collision include the initial velocities and masses of the cockroaches, the angle of collision, and any external forces acting on the cockroaches. The type of surface they are colliding on can also play a role, as well as any friction present between the surfaces.

5. How do you check the accuracy of your solution to a cockroach collision problem?

To check the accuracy of a solution to a cockroach collision problem, you can use the kinematic equations to calculate the final velocity of each cockroach and compare it to the known values. Additionally, you can also check if the conservation of momentum principle is satisfied by calculating the initial and final momentum values and ensuring they are equal.