Latest Verdict on Warm/Cold Blooded Dinosaurs & T-Rex Forelimbs

• Thread starter sage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blood
In summary, scientists are still debating whether T-rex was a warm blooded or cold blooded animal. The latest verdict is that some were warmblooded and some were cold blooded, but the evidence for T-Rex being a scavenger is not convincing.
sage
last time i heard scientists were bitterly disputing whether dinosaurs are warm blooded or cold blooded.what's the latest verdict?by the way can anyone give me a sane reason why a predator like t-rex should have no use for
forelimbs?

Biology news on Phys.org
I think the verdict is still out on that, but if I'm not mistaken the consensus is pointing towards warm blooded.

Who says T-rex didn't have uses for it's forearms? Sure, they're small compared to the rest of its body, but they could still tear some **** up. I think I read each arm was capable of lifting around 800 lbs.

i think they came to the conclusion that some were warmblooded and some were cold. also t-rex's arms were so short it would be hard to find a use for them. t-rex also was probably not a predator, it was seemingly (from fossil evidence) very slow, had great smelling capabilities, and could barely see, t-rex was probably a scavenger.

Originally posted by HazZy
i think they came to the conclusion that some were warmblooded and some were cold. also t-rex's arms were so short it would be hard to find a use for them. t-rex also was probably not a predator, it was seemingly (from fossil evidence) very slow, had great smelling capabilities, and could barely see, t-rex was probably a scavenger.

Just want to put in for the opposing point of view. I think that the evidence for T-Rex being a scavanger is nto at all convincing. For me, the evidence from dentition put the whole matter to rest; T-Rex, I am fairly convinced, was an ambush predator.

Also, the best evidence we have for T-Rex in particular suggests that it was an endotherm. This evidence consists chiefly of the ratio of preditor-to-prey fossil evidence. The idea is that a preditor's population will grow 'till it holds as many individuals as can be supported by the available food supply. Food requirements for an endotherm are at least three times the amount needed by exotherms. The predator-to-prey ratio for T-Rex (and most Cretatious preditors that have been investigated) is indicative of a warm-blooded preditor.

perhaps, but i still see no reason in which t-rexs sight was so poor, yet its olfactory was so advanced... look at a common ambush predator like an alligator, its eyesight is amazing and it's also quite fast (in water). now look at a scavenger like a vulcher, slow moving, bad eyesight, great sense of smell.

i like divergence of opinion.keep it up.i still say trex had small forearms.i have got an impression that there was a steady trend to this decrease amongst tyranosaur family culminating with rex.what is the explanation.anyway what difference does it make if it were a scavenger(iff!)why should a scavenger not need forearms?

Obviously, there's still a big scientific debate on both sides. And on the middle (e.g., a predator that also scavenges).

Originally posted by Phobos
Obviously, there's still a big scientific debate on both sides. And on the middle (e.g., a predator that also scavenges).
great point, I've recently looked into some of this stuff and found that even though t-rex was slow, compared with other large plant eaters (triceratops for example) it was relatively the same speed. so indeed it would be able to catch its food, something a lot of scientist deemed impossible. also some believe it could "launch" itself with it's tail much like an alligator, quite interesting.

a predator/scavenger would have been quite the ideal type of dinosaur back in those times huh? :wink:

What is the latest scientific verdict on whether dinosaurs were warm-blooded or cold-blooded?

The latest scientific research suggests that dinosaurs were most likely mesothermic, meaning they had both warm and cold-blooded characteristics. This means that they were able to regulate their body temperature to some extent, but not as efficiently as modern warm-blooded animals.

What evidence supports the idea that dinosaurs may have been warm-blooded?

Some evidence that supports the idea of dinosaurs being warm-blooded includes their large size, fast growth rates, and high activity levels. Additionally, the presence of feathers and the ability to regulate body temperature through internal mechanisms also suggest warm-bloodedness.

How do T-Rex forelimbs contribute to the debate on warm-blooded versus cold-blooded dinosaurs?

The forelimbs of T-Rex are a point of contention in the debate because they are relatively small and not well-suited for supporting the weight of the animal. This suggests that T-Rex may have been more cold-blooded, as smaller limbs would require less energy to maintain. However, the discovery of feathered T-Rex fossils also supports the idea of warm-bloodedness.

Are there any other factors that could help determine whether dinosaurs were warm-blooded or cold-blooded?

Other factors that could contribute to the debate include bone structure and growth patterns, as well as the presence of specialized respiratory systems. However, these factors are still being studied and debated within the scientific community.

How does the conclusion on the warm-blooded versus cold-blooded debate impact our understanding of dinosaurs?

If dinosaurs were indeed mesothermic, it would suggest that they were more active and energetic animals than previously thought. It would also challenge the traditional view of dinosaurs as slow, lumbering creatures and may change the way we interpret their behavior and interactions with their environment.