Your favorite original, pet physics theory

In summary, In my opinion, the greatest achievement of physics is the discovery of the cause of gravity.
Loren Booda
C'mon, all of you have invented physics at one time or another! Please outline that most Nobel physics achievement of yours - innovative, simple and predictive.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, first off let me say that if you're going to start a topic like this, you should have gone first. C'mon, let's hear yours

I have two, myself, but one is about solar system formation and would be better suited to astronomy than physics. So I'll go with the great "old standby" for scientific speculation in the field physics; the cause of gravity.

GR gives us a good idea as to what gravity is, but does not explain the cause of it. I think the clue to this cause can be found in Quantum entanglement. If we envision the particles involved as being hyperdimensional entities (possessing more than the normal 4-D), then we could see how they are capable of being connected across these extra dimensions. I use the following Flatland-style annalogy to describe it.

Picture a clear container with water in it. If you place this container on an overhead projector, the image projected will serve as our 2-D representation of the 3-D universe. Now take a semi-rigid string (guitar string, perhaps) held by the ends with a lot of slack, so it sags in the middle. Lower it until it comes into contact with the water, and a point appears. This could be the event we refer to as a particle. Continue to lower it, and the single point becomes two. These two are connected, and cannot be affected individually. Twirl the string between your fingers, and both points will spin. Reverse the direction, and both reverse. And because the change does not travell across the surface of the water, it does not need to obey the rules of information transfer across water. This is why entangled particles can exchange information instantaneously like they do. Because the information travels through no space (no time).

In using this annalogy I noticed an oddity; the curvature fo the water's surface where the string punctures the surface. This to me suggests a cause for the curvature of space around particles with mass. These "particles" may be the points where extradimensional objects puncture our spacetime, causing a dent. And it is that dent that is the curvature of spacetime we call gravity.

My favorite? Let me quote from my website,
The "Hubble acceleration," aH=c2/RH=cH0=6 x 10-8 cm/s2, demarcates a critical radial acceleration for galaxies and larger bodies where the influence of so-called dark matter begins. Following the rotation curve for a given galaxy, one notices the departure from conventional luminous matter dynamics at approximately the rotational velocity v with radius r so that aH=v2/r. This asserts that the radial universal expansion parameters, i. e., the Hubble acceleration, also affect rotational dynamics. The concept of "dark matter" may arise in large part to a discretizing of aH. If so, it would indicate a property of baryonic matter's inertia to overcome an "ultraviolet catastrophe" (similar to the blackbody's). In doing so it maintains acceleration, and likewise the velocity, of galaxies' outlying halos.The effects of "dark matter" on large-scale structures are predominantly due to compliance with minimal acceleration, given by the ratio between speed of light squared and the cosmological horizon radius. Whether dark matter as such exists, and is not an artifact of baryonic, discrete acceleration physics, remains to be seen.

Well, I can't think of any pet theories worth mentioning (off hand), but I swear to you that I conceived of the idea of both photonic bandgap networks and microfabricated photomultiplier tubes long before they were ever invented. I sh:t you not.

eNtRopY

Lurch, that one is pretty cool! Very ponderable. I've got one, probably more along the lines of LB's, just from analyzing the equation H = dr/rdt (what's with the Hubble constant for generating all kinds of crackpot theories, eh!?). So anyway, if these equations are non-instantaneous and simultaneously true: r = c/t; H = v/ro, then analyzing H = dr/rdt for r gives
r = roeHt
which gives instantaneous scale factor r with initial scale factor ro.
if u = dr/dt then u = HroeHt (subst ht=v/c) u=vev/c (where v= measured redshift velocity)
you can go on through Newtonian mechanical definitions:
p = mu = mHroeHt -> p(v)=mvev/c
F = ma = mH2roeHt --> F(r)=mHr2eHr/c
Finally if you use the definitions KE = [int]p(v)dv and PE = [int]F(r)dr
you can find that with boundary conditions v=c, v=0; r=c/H, r=0, KE=PE=mc2
which seems weird, that the energy stored in "space" (the energy required to accelerate matter to the edge of the universe) is equal to the total internal energy of the mass m.

Last edited by a moderator:
My newest crackpot pet theory is that a Bose-Einstein condensate can be used as an antigravity device, becuase when the atoms are super cooled they seem to form the makings of one giant atom moving very slowly and taking on tremendous electromagnetic and nuclear forces, enough to nearly stop light, and so that atom's polarity(assuming it forms one) might be aligned somehow counter the polarity of the Earth's magnetic field and result in levitation or antigravity. If it can slow light to a crawl, it seems a matter of time and effort before they can use it to do all kinds of crazy science fiction type things, or maybe it could create a miniature black hole, well now that's kind of scary, what if black holes were formed by expirimenters of condensates on other far away planets who took it a step too far.

Not really a theory but a wild and wooly what if:
Suppose that some version of the Many Worlds is correct and that the boundaries between parallel universes are not well defined. I think this could explain the famous one-missing-sock-in-the-washer paradox!
Some reality exists out there that contains many unpaired socks.:wink:

Imagine what this would mean for democratic elections!

Last edited:
Jammieg, Are you the one who posted the experiment idea which involved enclosing a lead ball in He4 and measuring for any change in wieght when the temp is dropped low enough to form a BEC? That is one of my favorite ideas in this site.

Ivan, I'm more concerned about the possibility that quantum computers may someday be used to tally the Fla. votes; every balot will be both "Yes" and "No"!

Last edited:
Oh yea, I've also come up with the idea that whenever the magnetic poles of the Earth are destabalised enough to be ready to "flip" (reach critical instability), the reversal is triggered by the next Solar Max. I've not heard that mentioned by anyone else, so I might be the only one to think of it, though that seems unlikely.

Originally posted by Loren Booda
C'mon, all of you have invented physics at one time or another! Please outline that most Nobel physics achievement of yours - innovative, simple and predictive.

Well, when I was just about 9 or 8, I had an idea that parallel universes might exist. Of course, I didn't call them parallel universes (I didn't name them). Anyhow, I believed that the universe was like the center of an atom. There were opposite universes; negative and positive. So these universes would all be 'stuck' together. One universe would have different events, another that would be exactly the same, and another that would be completely the different. These would be the positive universe cluster.
The negative universe cluster would be negatively charged, thus chaotic. So, I concluded that the whole "center of the atom" must be a kind of nuclear atom.
I dismissed it as an absurd idea, and returned to my studies. Wierd though.
This one's more of a philosophy one I came up with around the same time as the aforementined one:
And there's my idea that we were all different people and ourselves at the same time. We are actually someone elses imaginations. This someone else would be asleep. I thought this would explain my feeling of unreality; when something amazing happens, you're inclined to feel like its unreal. This theory explained it. Anyway, I thought that it explained de ja vou. Things that happened "twice" could be results of chemical reactions in the brain that occur at exactly the same vibration.

Totally far out, huh?!

the reversal is triggered by the next Solar Max.
why would that be?

Originally posted by LURCH
Ivan, I'm more concerned about the possibility that quantum computers may someday be used to tally the Fla. votes; every balot will be both "Yes" and "No"!

It seems they already do. :wink:

Lurch, I didn't come up with that one, that's the work of a sane man- not my style. Here's another one though:
How about a device that could amplify and focus electromagnetic waves like a device that amplifies and focuses light to form a laser... Such a device might be able to split atoms with enough precision and power, maybe this could be used for fission, I don't believe in fusion that takes energy.

...I must have been smoking something here...

Originally posted by schwarzchildradius
why would that be?

Only because the Earth's magnetic field is embedded within the Sun's. Both appear to change polarity on occasion (the Sun's has been observed, Earth's has only been deduced), but the Sun is on an 11-yr cycle, while the time period for Earth's polar reversal appears to be a couple hundred-thousand years (on average).

Using the Sun as a model, I imagine the Earth's poles gradually growing more and more unstable, then switching suddenly (in geological terms). If this is the case, then it would seem that there would be a point at which the Earth's field has "crossed the threshold", and become unstable enough to reverse. When the Earth's magnetic field is at or very near this point, the Sun's polarity could have enough effect to make the difference.

I wonder if there is a relationship between the Sun's poles and the Earth's and other planets... They seem to line up to the point of saturn, like giant compass needles they seem to influence each other in this way.

My favourite? Gene Ray and his Timecube crap: http://www.timecube.com/ [Broken]

A nifty quote from that page:
Academia is an accreditation of real stupidity - deadly to all humanity. Dumb ass teachers fear Time Cube and will eat dung before debating it. Dumb students are educated stupid.

Oh heck, I'm going to quote more of it. He's so funny.

I have requested that the UCS, or Union of Concerned Scientists, act to evaluate Nature's Harmonic Time Cube Principle of Creation - for the welfare of children, nature and the future of all humanity. The dumb, stupid and evil bastards have ignored their obligation to their humanity fellowship to research Time Cube, and deserve to be spit upon publicly. It is their moral duty to test Time Cube, and a curse of evil if they ignore the greatest discovery of humanity. I have offered $10,000.00 to the evil bastards if they disprove Time Cube. They can't disprove it, so they hide like yellow-belly bastards they are.
There is no human entity, just human Cubics - as in 4 different people in a 4 corner stage metamorphic rotation - never more than 1 corner at same time.
Cubeless education - is a deadly evil. Cubeless educators are evil bastards. Humans are dumb, educated stupid, and evil. They don't want to know Nature's Cubic Order of Creation.
Man invented word, and calls it god. "The Word World", imposed by the academic institutions, is synonymous with the Matrix's induced "Dream World". Both are most efficient mind enslavers, and humans know not their difference from "The Cubic World", the creation principle of all that exist.
Academic free speech is a damn lie. Try to discuss & debate Nature's Time Cube and your evil teachers will not allow you. Ignorance of Time Cube dooms humans, inflicting their own created "word hell". Educators are actually "evil word gods", teaching commercial plunder of Nature. The damn bastards suppress free speech, by denying Time Cube debate discussion. Students MUST DEMAND free speech - for the greatest of all human discoveries: Nature's Harmonic Simultaneous 4 Day Rotating Creation Principle of Cubicism. Educated stupid, you can't know Truth.
Read physics of Santa Claus . Explain the physics of a god. Belief has no inherent value, but worship of such nonvalue as a god, equates to nonacceptance of Cubic knowledge - as demonstrated by ineffable Truth and the Highest Order of Wisdom. I can talk with a human for hours about the Time Cube and they will agree with every claim I make. But at the end of the conversation, they remark that they believe in the nonvalue belief god and cannot accept Cubic Creation, regardless of all the ineffable Truth and Wisdom it proves. A Belief Matrix pulls a 1 day world over your eyes, while the real Cubic World has 4 simultaneous days in 1 Earth rotation. Educators own your mind and fills it with garbage, that will soon destroy humanity.
You are a slave - to academic induced inculcated belief - an insidious entity, an evil which corrupts human mental ability to accept creation knowledge, as demonstrated in Cubicism.
Did you see the movie Matrix? Actually the induced night "dream world" is synonymous with the academic religious induced daytime "word world" enslavement of humans. Word has no inherent value, as it was invented as a counterfeit and fictitious value to represent natural values in commerce. Unfortunately, human values have declined to fictitious word values. Unknowingly, you are living in a "Word World", as in a fictitious life in a counterfeit nation - which you could consider Matrix induced "Dream World". Can you distinguish the academic induced "Word World" from the natural "Real World"? Beware of the change when your brain is free from induced"Word World" enslavement - for you could find that the natural "Real World" has been destroyed.

Lurch:
apparently the magnetic field lines wrap around the sun as it differentially rotates. At some point after 11 years the field collapses and re-establishes itself, opposite polarity. You're right that this ought to put force on the earth;s moving charged particles. But I wonder, does the Earth's crust create a Gaussian surface that would shield electric charges from the outside? Interesting.

The time cube theory is way the hell out there, I'm not impressed by someone who tries to support their argument by demeaning others.
There could be a lot of variables to explain the Earth's magnetic pole flips, but my guess is the main variable is connected to the Sun's polarity, it might even be found that Mars's polarity flipped just about when Earth's flipped, maybe the whole solar system is set up for maximum polarity orientation.

1. What inspired you to develop your favorite original, pet physics theory?

I have always been fascinated by the laws of physics and how they govern the world around us. I wanted to explore and understand the fundamental principles of the universe, and that led me to develop my favorite original, pet physics theory.

2. Can you provide a brief overview of your pet physics theory?

My pet physics theory proposes that the universe is made up of tiny, vibrating strings that interact with each other to create all the particles and forces we observe. These strings are the fundamental building blocks of the universe and their vibrations determine the properties of matter and energy.

3. How does your pet physics theory differ from existing theories?

My pet physics theory differs from traditional theories, such as the Standard Model and String Theory, in that it proposes a more fundamental and holistic approach to understanding the universe. It also offers potential explanations for phenomena that current theories have not been able to fully explain.

4. Have there been any experiments or evidence to support your pet physics theory?

My pet physics theory is still in its early stages, so there have not been any specific experiments or evidence to support it yet. However, it is based on mathematical equations and principles that have been tested and verified in other areas of physics.

5. What do you hope to achieve with your pet physics theory in the future?

I hope to continue developing and refining my pet physics theory to make it more comprehensive and possibly able to explain some of the biggest mysteries in physics, such as dark matter and dark energy. I also hope to collaborate with other scientists and potentially conduct experiments to test and validate my theory.