What Can You Do When You Turn 18?

• Thread starter Andy
  • Start date
In summary, Andy is saying that if you're 18 and want to do things, go ahead. Just be sure to stay on the right side of the law.
Andy
Soon to be 18 and thought it would be an interesting idea to find out what things are to be done once i am 18, obviously things not to be done are also welcome here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Register to vote! and be sure you do!
In the U.S. (not sure about international laws) be sure that now that you can smoke legally...you don't!

Again..in the U.S... many young men celebrate turning 18 by signing up for the draft!

1. Drink in pubs and nightclubs.
2. If asked for ID, annoy them by showing it.
3. Vote when election comes round.
4. Get married without parents consent.
5. Get paid more if you are on minimum wage.
6. Be eligable for getting more debt.
7. Car insurance costs less.

7. Car insurance costs less.

Not much less! At the moment its insured on my mums name, so its only a few hundred pounds, if i where to insure it in my name i would be looking at nearer £1,500 which as you mite agree is a bit steep.

1. Get totally wasted every night
2. pick up hot chicks
3. wash rinse repeat

Oh..you mean what YOU should do??pfft.. can't help. that was plan scenario at 18 though:wink:

For better and for worse

life as you know it is about to end.

It's a great ride though! :wink:

18! I've got shoes older than that!

Think about the things that you really want to do, and do them (the legal stuff of course). I mean actually do it.

To paraphrase (I may actually be quoting it, but I can't remember if I'm right about some of the words) one of my favorite movies, "The Music Man", if you keeping putting things off till tommorrow, you will find yourself with a lot of empty yesterdays.

Figure out what you want to accomplish and start to do it.

Originally posted by Artman
18! I've got shoes older than that! (Me too)

Think about the things that you really want to do, and do them (the legal stuff of course). I mean actually do it.

To paraphrase (I may actually be quoting it, but I can't remember if I'm right about some of the words) one of my favorite movies, "The Music Man", if you keeping putting things off till tommorrow, you will find yourself with a lot of empty yesterdays.

Figure out what you want to accomplish and start to do it.

That's pretty good advise.

anything you can do when you're 18 (nothing illegal of course), you can also do when you're 17. you just got to try harder. :smile:

"Life is what happens when you make other plans"
I heard it on "Sex and the City", but it seems it was first said by John Lennon.
I myself did the unthinkable on the night I turned 18: I slept...

Originally posted by Andy
...once i am 18...

Study advanced astrophysics, cosmology and fundamental physics,
just like when you were 10.

Do everything possible to stay on the right side of the law. Argueably less fun, but greater Freedom.

Originally(?) stated by Foccault
"We have greater Freedom With rules"

Bastard LAW! hate it already.

Bastard LAW! hate it already.
How ironic, that is (The Law) exactly the thing that gives you the right to say that! (neat eh?!)

Soon to be 18 and thought it would be an interesting idea to find out what things are to be done once i am 18, obviously things not to be done are also welcome here.

be depressed that your not 21... neither am I :frown:

You may or may not want to consider this;

http://www.fishermansexpress.com/photo-gallery.html

But it sure could etch into one's mind an awareness of their own mortality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha! In england you can do just as much stuff when 18 as you can when your 21.

Ha! In england you can do just as much stuff when 18 as you can when your 21.

We can't in america, but we do it anyways:wink:

Go to California, build a boat then Sail to Hong Kong, China. When your there meet a Kung Fu master and learn Kung Fu. Then travel to Mount Everest and climb that with little gear. After that, head to Tibet to meet the Dolia Llama. Then walk along the great wall of China. Then Travel to Lake Baykal. After that, go back to your family and show them the side effects of your Journey. And do NOT! through out your whole journey! DO NOT use a vehicle of any kind and do not beg for Food and water. You must live off the land as you travel. You must always be on foot. You can carry a huge backpack for your items. GOOD LUCK! You should also make a spear for when you sail on your boat, you will need to go fishing Indian style by tying a string to your spear or piercing a Huge Marine animal by the spear. You must bring all the water you can get on to the sail boat. If you run out of water, try to catch the rain fall while on the boat to Hong Kong, China. Once again, GOOD LUCK!

EDIT MESSAGE: I actually plan on doing this if my future doesn't turn out the way I want it too.

Last edited:
When you turn eighteen, become an adult, (legally) the next thing you learn, usually, is that now your Freedom to do things cost$ money.

It is near impossible to be an adult, and have freedom, (In North American Society) without money.

So what to do when you turn eighteen?, start saving money in an RRSP (Registered Retirement Savings Plan) or whatever they have like that in England. The difference in the amopunts of money, at the end, (the forced retirement time) can be enourmous, compound interest doing what it does.

Mr. Robin Parsons,

Could I impose upon you to define
the word amopunts?

Zoobyshoe

Originally posted by zoobyshoe
Mr. Robin Parsons,
Could I impose upon you to define
the word amopunts?

Zoobyshoe
Certainly, it is what a guy, with a broken arm, (in a cast, 'wrist locked') types, when he really wants to type amount, and someone silly takes him to task for the fact that he did it quickly, and didn't have time to spell check it, nor to even read it, as his computer use is at the "kindness of others".

Tell me, does it bother you all that much??, couldn't you figure out what I meant??, is it really all that bad??, is it wrong that, I too, am human, and make errors??

Mr. Robin Parsons,

You took my question the wrong way. I was trying to feed you
a straight line to which you
could respond with something
witty.

"Amopunts" struck me as a word
replete with humorous resonances
that I felt should be exploited
for the betterment of mankind.

I am sorry about your wrist and
hope it heals quickly.

-Zoobyshoe

And the topic is "Things to do when your 18", sooo...

1. What can I legally do when I turn 18?

When you turn 18, you are considered a legal adult in most countries. This means you can vote, enter into contracts, and serve on a jury. You can also apply for credit cards and loans without a parent or guardian's permission.

2. Can I move out of my parents' house when I turn 18?

Yes, turning 18 means you are legally allowed to move out of your parents' house. However, you may still need their permission if they are supporting you financially or if you are still in high school.

3. Can I buy alcohol and cigarettes when I turn 18?

In the United States, the legal age to purchase alcohol and cigarettes is 21. However, in some countries, the legal age may be 18. It is important to check your local laws and regulations.

4. Will I automatically be registered for selective service when I turn 18?

If you are a male living in the United States, you are required to register for selective service within 30 days of turning 18. This is a requirement for receiving federal financial aid, job training, and government jobs.

5. Can I run for public office when I turn 18?

Yes, you can run for public office when you turn 18. However, there may be certain age restrictions for certain positions, such as the presidency in the United States which requires a minimum age of 35.