Carbon tubes suffused with buckyfoam

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Carbon
In summary,The carbon-filled buckyball structure "buckyfoam" could potentially be used in place of traditional rigid foams and solid forms, with a tenfold increase in strength and mass.
Loren Booda
Imagine a tube or sandwiched wall of carbon, with width W. Now fill its interior with connected buckyballs of random diameters d up to d~(Wrbuckminsterfullerene)1/2. This artificial organic structure mimics that of natural wood, bone or pumice. It retains maximum strength and rigidity with relative ease of construction (utilizing random buckyballs).

This "buckyfoam" could eventually be applied where most rigid foams and many solid forms are now used, with increase in strength/mass by over tenfold. For instance, the I-beam or other superstructures might be replaced by carbon tubes suffused with buckyfoam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see how this mimics either wood, bone, or pumice, since all three have quite different structures. Do you mean lots of litle cavities? And "relative ease of construction" isn't saying much.

Random orders of buckyballs may compose a foam-like structure (buckyfoam), one that may be relatively easy to create (as buckeyballs are now "mass-produced" with arbitrary molecular weight) and has properties far superior to ordinary rigid foam.

Last edited:
Is this what they are thinking of making the Tokyo pyramid city out of, if it ever gets built? I remember it saying something about nanotubes, but there was more to it than that. So maybe it was this buckyfoam? How strong would it be?

Buckyfoam is my own "invention."

Originally posted by Loren Booda
Imagine a tube or sandwiched wall of carbon, with width W. Now fill its interior with connected buckyballs of random diameters d up to d~(Wrbuckminsterfullerene)1/2. This artificial organic structure mimics that of natural wood, bone or pumice. It retains maximum strength and rigidity with relative ease of construction (utilizing random buckyballs).

This "buckyfoam" could eventually be applied where most rigid foams and many solid forms are now used, with increase in strength/mass by over tenfold. For instance, the I-beam or other superstructures might be replaced by carbon tubes suffused with buckyfoam.

I think of foam as being by definition a surface effect phenomena rather than completely enclosed. I can't even begin to imagine any advantages to such a creation. As usual Booda, you ask the deep questions. Is it a surface or an enclosure? How do you distinguish between the two? If it does have any advantages I suspect they are more along the lines of electrical or some subtle mechanical effect no one has detected yet. :0)

wuliheron-

"Rigid" foam's acoustic properties arise from its isotropic energy dissipation. (Your "stereo" speakers may well have foam rubber enclosed within.) In a structure like a tube (I offered a carbon, i. e. graphite, one as an example), stresses are redirected by randomly massed and situated bucky balls. Since carbon 60 is difficult to isolate, I thought to utilize a spectrum of buckminsterfullerenes (typically carbon 60) for mass production of buckyfoam.

Its expensive stuff no matter how you make it, and the sizes are so small it seems pointless. Anything small enough to utilize their shock absorbing ability would not need it. Something bigger like a speaker, wouldn't notice the difference. The waves moving through the speaker would be magnetudes larger than the foam and the carbon nanotubes themselves would be magnetudes stronger than you would need for a speaker. I don't know what the smallest size accustic wave is, but it seems it must be larger than a bucky ball.

Greetings !
Originally posted by Loren Booda
Buckyfoam is my own "invention."
Well, I find it a bit difficult to see how
this will work, but hell - what do I know ?
Anyway, what do you mean - did you apply for
a patent or what ?
Also, I think there was this process invented
in the beginning of the 90s, after these molecule
types were enitialy discovered, that greatly
reduced their costs of production, but I believe
it's still not that simple for mass scale.

btw, C60 molecules could have an exciting future
as fuel for future generations of electric
ion propulsion thrusters (used in space :wink:).

Live long and prosper.

1. What are carbon tubes suffused with buckyfoam?

Carbon tubes suffused with buckyfoam are a type of nanomaterial that consist of carbon nanotubes filled with buckminsterfullerene molecules (also known as "buckyballs"). These materials have unique properties, such as high strength and conductivity, making them useful for various applications in fields such as electronics and materials science.

2. How are carbon tubes suffused with buckyfoam made?

Carbon tubes suffused with buckyfoam are typically made through a process called "sonication", where carbon nanotubes and buckminsterfullerene molecules are mixed together in a solvent and exposed to high-frequency sound waves. This causes the buckyballs to enter and fill the hollow cavities of the carbon nanotubes.

3. What are the potential applications of carbon tubes suffused with buckyfoam?

Carbon tubes suffused with buckyfoam have a wide range of potential applications. Some of the most promising include use in electronics and sensors, as well as in the creation of lightweight and strong materials for use in aerospace and automotive industries.

4. What are the benefits of using carbon tubes suffused with buckyfoam?

The use of carbon tubes suffused with buckyfoam offers several benefits over traditional materials. These include high strength and stiffness, excellent electrical and thermal conductivity, and a low density. Additionally, these materials have the potential to be used in a variety of applications due to their unique properties.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks or challenges associated with carbon tubes suffused with buckyfoam?

While carbon tubes suffused with buckyfoam have many potential benefits, there are also some challenges associated with their use. For example, the production process can be costly and time-consuming, and there is still much research needed to fully understand and optimize the properties of these materials. Additionally, there may be concerns about the environmental and health impacts of using carbon nanotubes and buckminsterfullerene molecules.