If disaster hits NY hide under desk

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, New York has published a new household preparedness manual advising residents on what to do in the event of various disasters, including earthquakes, floods, terrorist attacks, and chemical spills. The manual suggests hiding under a desk if disaster hits New York City, but if exposed to radiation, it is advised to go indoors if outdoors and vice versa. However, it is unclear if these guidelines apply to other towns and cities and what a dirty bomb is. A dirty bomb is a weapon that uses radioactive materials to spread radiation and can cause widespread damage.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If disaster hits NY "hide under desk"

"On Thursday New York published its new household preparedness manual, telling residents what to do in case of any number of disasters, ranging from earthquakes (news - web sites), floods, tornadoes, terrorist attacks, collapsing buildings, chemical spills to dirty bombs."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=856&ncid=856&e=8&u=/nm/20030711/od_uk_nm/oukoe_security_newyork [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
from the article:
What to do if exposed to radiation? Well, it depends on where you are. If you're outside, the city suggests you go inside. And if the event happens inside, going outdoors might be a good idea.

I guess that settles it for NY. But what if you're in a different town? The same things apply? Or the public defence must be made city dependent? And what's a dirty bomb?

Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood
from the article:

I guess that settles it for NY. But what if you're in a different town? The same things apply? Or the public defence must be made city dependent? And what's a dirty bomb?

Dirty bomb is a name given to any number of weapons designed to spread radioactive materials. Instead of making a nuclear weapon, the idea is to use radioactive materials or waste in a regular bomb. This just spreads the stuff everywhere making life impossible...in theory.

1. What type of disasters should I hide under my desk for?

It is recommended to hide under your desk for disasters such as earthquakes, tornadoes, or active shooter situations.

2. Is hiding under a desk an effective way to protect myself during a disaster?

In some cases, hiding under a desk can provide protection from falling debris or stray bullets. However, it is important to also have an emergency plan and evacuate if necessary.

3. How long should I stay under my desk during a disaster?

It is important to stay under your desk until the disaster has passed or until you have received further instructions from emergency personnel.

4. What should I do if I am unable to reach a desk during a disaster?

If you are unable to reach a desk, try to find an alternative form of shelter such as a sturdy table or piece of furniture to protect yourself.

5. Can I use any desk to hide under during a disaster?

It is recommended to use a sturdy and stable desk that can provide adequate protection. Avoid desks that are wobbly or made of flimsy materials.