DHCP Server for ICS Network: How IP Addresses Change on Broadband Connection

• Thread starter Radiatedtheory18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Server
In summary, the conversation is discussing a network setup with two computers on an ICS network without a router. The host is giving the client a separate IP address, and there is a question about whether the client's IP address will change each time the computers are networked. It is mentioned that in similar setups, the computer typically gives the same IP address to the client. The conversation also briefly touches on ICS (internet connection sharing) and the use of IP addresses in a windows network.
Radiatedtheory18
i've got 2 computers running on a ICS network without a router. I am on broadband with 1 ip address. the host is giving the client a separate ip address. will the clients computer's ip address change each time the computers are networked? because i know when i dial up broadband the ip addresses change i think.

thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Radiatedtheory18
i've got 2 computers running on a ICS network without a router. I am on broadband with 1 ip address. the host is giving the client a separate ip address. will the clients computer's ip address change each time the computers are networked? because i know when i dial up broadband the ip addresses change i think.

thanks

A simple way to check is go to Start>Run>winipcfg

this will give you the IP information. I'm pretty sure your computer will give the same IP each time though, I'm not positive, but with my experience the computer has given the same IP even if it is dynamically assigned.

What's ICS?

Usually in these setups, you're doing some kind of software NAT on the host, and it will generally give the same IP to the client, often something like 192.168.0.1 .

Originally posted by damgo
What's ICS?

Usually in these setups, you're doing some kind of software NAT on the host, and it will generally give the same IP to the client, often something like 192.168.0.1 .

ICS is internet connection sharing, made big with XP, available for windows 98.

A normal windows network, computer-to-computer, would use a variation of the 192.168.0.1 IP, although, he is using a router and they can be a lil different, chances are he is still running a class c IP though.

1. What is a DHCP server for ICS network?

A DHCP server for ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) network is a server that automatically assigns IP addresses to devices on a network. It works by leasing out IP addresses to devices on the network for a specific period of time, ensuring that there are no conflicts between devices trying to use the same IP address.

2. How does a DHCP server handle IP address changes on a broadband connection?

A DHCP server keeps track of the devices that are connected to the network and the IP addresses that have been assigned to them. When a broadband connection is established, the DHCP server assigns an IP address to the device, and if the connection is lost or disconnected, the IP address is released and can be assigned to another device.

3. Can a DHCP server be manually configured?

Yes, a DHCP server can be manually configured with a specific range of IP addresses to assign, as well as options such as lease time and DNS servers. However, this is not recommended as it can lead to conflicts and network connectivity issues.

4. Is a DHCP server necessary for an ICS network?

Yes, a DHCP server is necessary for an ICS network as it allows for easier management of IP addresses and reduces the risk of conflicts between devices. Without a DHCP server, each device would need to be manually assigned a unique IP address, which can be time-consuming and prone to errors.

5. Can a DHCP server be used for both wired and wireless devices?

Yes, a DHCP server can assign IP addresses to both wired and wireless devices on a network. It does not differentiate between the two types of connections and will assign an IP address to any device that connects to the network.