Unexpected Muscle Cramp in Right Buttock: Causes and Solutions

• Thread starter Entropia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Muscle
In summary: I think one's muscles can also 'remember' a lack of nutrients (think about how you feel after not eating for a day or two, vs. how you feel after eating a big meal) and may 'cry out' for help when they don't get it.In summary, my right buttocks cramped up today. That has *never* happened before. It was quite unexpected... I was sitting down, and when I stood up, the cramp really hit me. I was also feeling very sleepy, and that may have been a contributing factor. I think lack of magnesium may have been a factor. I'll try eating extra banana's they are a good source of Mg. I also think a 'cool down' (
Entropia
My right buttocks cramped up today. That has *never* happened before. It was quite unexpected... I was sitting down, and when I stood up, the cramp really hit me.

Im confused.

Why on Earth would that happen?

Biology news on Phys.org
Done an strenuous physical activity lately?

Lack of Mg? Try eating extra banana's they are a good source of Mg.

Lack of Mg? How about lake of K?

Nautica

well, before that happened i walked around for about two miles with a heavy backpack in warm weather... which is not really strenuous for me.- not enough for muscle cramps at least!

i have been very sleep deprived all week... maybe that's it?

dunno.

anyway. thanks for replying!

was just reminded that i should take a vitamin. :)

Don't just take vitamins, take minerals too. As nautica said, it is both K+ and Mg2+ that you'd probably need to eat up on. Where do you get K from? Green veggies?? Noo, that's vit K.. maybe K too..

Did you do a 'cool down' (for the muscles) after the walk? (removes the lactic acids, fuel of the muscles, before they congeal/harden, which causes {one source} cramping)

Bacteria production with in the body (I believe, but don't quote me, I will have to look).

But an external source would be bannanas, as you have already mentioned.

are you positive it was a muscle cramp?

i had a herniated and ruptured disk on my sciatic vertabrae... and it felt like a constant cramp in my buttocks... do u have a history of back problems?

just sumthin to consider and take care of ASAP if that's the case...i'll tell u from experience...sciatica is no picnic.

other than that i think the lactic acids that parson said sounds about right to me

I don't mean to be rude, in being forward, but viewed from another (postive?) perspective, it's a "nice" way of your body reminding you that you need regular excersize, regularly, as in it could have been worse, what a lack of good regular excersize does for any, and all, of us...

Originally posted by rody084
(SNoP) other than that i think the lactic acids that parson said sounds about right to me (SNIP)
Funny, learned that watching Jane Fonda, on Television, when she was promoting fitness...

Has anyone around you been particularly annoying lately? Could be psycosomatic.

Originally posted by zoobyshoe Has anyone around you been particularly annoying lately?
Heh heh, i'll remember to take supplements when i expect to have annoying company. Or perhaps I could give the annoyers suppositories and balance the equation that way?

Psychosomatic aside... Did you drink more coffee that day... caffeine kicks a bunch of stuff out of your body, including B vits. But sleep deprivation per se is a form of stress, which increases the body req. of B6, needed for adequate Mg metabolism. Also overall dietary Ca:Mg must be adequate (I believe 2:1) - they compete for absorption and excess of one will deplete the other. (so, say, if you ate bunches of tums for a couple of days, you could lower your Mg levels.)

Anectodally, when I started exercising I initially observed a distinct inverse correlation between premature cramps and having taken my Mg&K supplements for a few days prior.

add my vote for the bananas too. and easy on the caffeine.

firefly

Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
I don't mean to be rude, in being forward, but viewed from another (postive?) perspective, it's a "nice" way of your body reminding you that you need regular excersize, regularly, as in it could have been worse, what a lack of good regular excersize does for any, and all, of us...

That is not neccessarily the case, many many atheletes have problems with cramping.

Nautica

Originally posted by nautica
That is not neccessarily the case, many many atheletes have problems with cramping.

Nautica
Good point, example of one end of a scale, and the example of the other end...all as one, not bad!

1. What causes muscle cramps?

Muscle cramps can be caused by a variety of factors, including dehydration, electrolyte imbalances, overuse of muscles, and certain medical conditions such as nerve or thyroid disorders. They can also be a side effect of certain medications.

2. How can I prevent muscle cramps?

To prevent muscle cramps, it is important to stay hydrated and maintain proper electrolyte balance by consuming enough water and electrolyte-rich foods or drinks. Stretching before and after physical activity can also help prevent cramps by warming up and loosening the muscles.

3. Are muscle cramps a sign of a serious health issue?

In most cases, muscle cramps are harmless and resolve on their own. However, if you experience frequent or severe cramps, it is important to consult with a doctor to rule out any underlying medical conditions.

4. How should I treat a muscle cramp?

The best way to treat a muscle cramp is to gently stretch and massage the affected muscle. Applying heat or ice can also help relax the muscle and reduce pain. In some cases, over-the-counter pain relievers may be helpful.

5. Can muscle cramps be a sign of dehydration?

Yes, muscle cramps can be a sign of dehydration. When the body is dehydrated, it can lead to electrolyte imbalances which can cause muscle cramps. It is important to drink enough water throughout the day to prevent dehydration and muscle cramps.