Involving Yersinia pestis and B-blood type

• Thread starter aychamo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Type
In summary, Y. pestis, the bacteria that causes the plague, may have been more deadly to people with type B blood due to its similar surface antigens. This hypothesis suggests that those with type AB blood may also have been more susceptible. While there is evidence that the plague may have some impact on immunity to HIV, it has not been definitively proven. Further research is needed to understand the potential mechanisms behind this connection. Some websites and scientific publications can be found on this topic.
aychamo
Hey guys, in my microbiology class last semester my prof mentioned that the plague, caused by Yersinia pestis, which was in Europe, etc. He said that the reason that Y. pestis killed so many people was that it had the same surface antigens as type B blood, therefore people with (type B and type AB?) would recognize the organism as self. And then the organize kills the person (how?). Is this true? I'm trying to find references to it on the web. I find plenty of talk about Y. pestis causing the disease, but nothing regardingn the blood type.

Thank you kindly!
Aychamo

Biology news on Phys.org
It's an hypothesis, but people with bloodtype B are more likely to die from a Y. pestis infection, since they are unable to effectively make antibodies against the micro-organism if it mainly carries type B-like surface antigens (since you are not able to make antibodies against yourself, with auto-immune disease as the exception).

How would this affect people with AB blood type? Also, is there any websites that discuss the hypothesis?

Monique said:
It's an hypothesis, but people with bloodtype B are more likely to die from a Y. pestis infection, since they are unable to effectively make antibodies against the micro-organism if it mainly carries type B-like surface antigens (since you are not able to make antibodies against yourself, with auto-immune disease as the exception).

Interesting. I saw something, NOVA I think, that discussed the plague with respect to resistance to the AIDS virus. I missed the first half-hour, so I never knew what hypothesis they were trying to prove. Evidently those whose ancestors survived infection with the plague are less likely to support reproduction of the AIDS virus. I wish I knew the proposed mechanism.

Njorl

I don't think the plague inferred immunity against HIV has been proven yet. There was a suspicion that a mutated chemokine receptor gene (CCR5) was selected for by the plague, but a study published in Nature showed that mice with the receptor deficiency are not protected against Y. pestis.

Though, the bacteria that cause plague attack macrophages, just like the HIV virus. If both organisms interact with the same surface molecules that allow them to recognize and attach to the macrophage, some benefitial selection might still have occured.

Aychamo, http://www.drmirkin.com/morehealth/9601.html you can also search www.PubMed.com for scientific publications, you'd have to find out whether the sugar coating of the bacterial resemble those of the B blood type.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Yersinia pestis?

Yersinia pestis is a type of bacteria that causes the disease known as plague. It is primarily spread through the bites of infected fleas and can also be transmitted through contact with infected animals or humans.

2. How does Yersinia pestis interact with the B-blood type?

Recent studies have shown that individuals with B-blood type may have a higher susceptibility to Yersinia pestis infection. This is because the bacteria produces a protein that specifically binds to the B antigen found on the surface of B-blood cells, allowing it to more easily enter and infect the cells.

3. Can individuals with other blood types still get infected with Yersinia pestis?

Yes, individuals with all blood types can be infected with Yersinia pestis. However, some studies suggest that those with O-blood type may have a lower risk of infection due to the lack of the B antigen on their red blood cells.

4. What are the symptoms of a Yersinia pestis infection?

The most common symptoms of a Yersinia pestis infection are high fever, chills, and swollen lymph nodes. Other symptoms may include headache, weakness, and coughing. In severe cases, the infection can progress to pneumonia or septicemic plague, which can be life-threatening.

5. Is there a vaccine or treatment for Yersinia pestis infection?

There is currently no commercially available vaccine for Yersinia pestis infection. However, antibiotics can be effective in treating the infection if caught early. It is important to seek medical treatment immediately if you suspect you have been exposed to Yersinia pestis.