Effective Searching Techniques for Sorting and Beyond

• Thread starter Pattielli
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses different searching techniques and the importance of being able to write code in various fields. The most common searching technique mentioned is binary search, which is fast but requires a sorted list. Other techniques mentioned include A* and heuristic search, which depends on the type of data being dealt with. The conversation also includes recommendations for further learning, such as taking a class in graph theory and reading the book "Introduction to Algorithms." The conversation ends with a question about the heuristic function and its purpose.
Pattielli
I used to make a questions about Sorting techniques, and I was welcome by lots of you...
Now, it is the same but this time is for Searching...So, would you please tell me some of the searching techniques which you know and have implemented ?

Anything is okay, please tell me...

Thank you very much,

Computer science news on Phys.org
I think the most common is binary search, it's also quite fast at O(log2(N)) where N is the length of the list you search through. The only downside of binary search is that it requires the list to be sorted to begin with. Some pseudocode is here:
http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/BinarySearch.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, but you know any others in AI ?

Searching completely depends on the type of data your dealing with. Tell us what your dealing with and I can tell you which method to use. For instance if your dealing with trees, you might want to look into A*

If you are interested in the topic of search algorithms you might want to take a class in graph theory and learn a little about hueristics

dduardo said:
Searching completely depends on the type of data your dealing with. Tell us what your dealing with and I can tell you which method to use. For instance if your dealing with trees, you might want to look into A*

If you are interested in the topic of search algorithms you might want to take a class in graph theory and learn a little about hueristics
No, actually I amnot dealing with any problems in AI, I think that searching technique is used mostly in this field and I just try to "randomly" pick one and learn about it, then if time is given, I will come to the next, on and on...i don't have anything to do now, and that accounts for the main reason of the thread...
Are there any sites that have any tutorials about heuristic search ? May I ask for them ?

Thank you very much,

Here are some websites with general overviews:
http://www.cee.hw.ac.uk/~alison/ai3notes/subsection2_6_2_3.html#SECTION0062300000000000000 [Broken]
http://cogsci.ucsd.edu/~batali/108b/lectures/heuristic.html [Broken]

The best place to find information on this stuff is the library. I recommend this book if you can find it:

Introduction to Algorithms, Second Edition, by Cormen, Leiserson, Rivest, and Stein

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank Dduardo a lot for those links and for your recommendation..
May I ask you a question of whether or not you are into this field or if it is possible for me to make a question about your major ?

Thank you very much,

I'm an electrical major. My speciality is going to be in digital design. Therefore I am almost required to be a software designer that writes code in VHDL and verilog.

For me, i find the ablity to write code a very important attribute in any field. Modern problems tend to require heavy duty computation, and to be able to whip up a program to quickly test a hypothesis gives you a big advantage over people that don't know how to program.

Thanks, I also have some times playing around with VHDL learning some of its basic syntax, havenot even once applied it to any real CPU related programings...That is a pity I think since I amnot majoring in CS...

Again thanks a lot for your help.

I have another question about Heuristic search,
Could anyone tell me what is the heuristic function ? is it to be computed as h(x,y,z)=dimx+dimy+dimz-x-y-z or something else ?
Thanks a lot,

??

What is the importance of effective searching techniques?

Effective searching techniques are crucial for sorting and beyond because they help individuals find the most relevant and accurate information in a timely manner. This can save time, increase productivity, and lead to better decision making.

What are some common searching techniques?

Some common searching techniques include using keywords, using filters and advanced search options, and using Boolean operators (AND, OR, NOT).

How can I improve my searching skills?

To improve your searching skills, you can practice using different search engines and techniques, carefully read search results and evaluate their credibility, and learn how to use advanced search options.

What is the difference between sorting and searching?

Sorting refers to arranging data in a specific order, while searching is the process of looking for specific information within a dataset. Effective searching techniques can aid in sorting by helping individuals find the most relevant data to sort.

How can I go beyond basic searching techniques?

To go beyond basic searching techniques, you can learn how to use more advanced search options, such as proximity searching, wildcards, and truncation. Additionally, you can explore different databases and search engines to find the best fit for your specific needs.