Does the Integral Converge for p<0 in int[exp(px)]dx?

• Thread starter dan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, the integral converges for p<0 and its value is -1/p in those cases. For p>0, the integrand increases without bound and for p=0, the integral does not exist.
dan
Please, can anyone help me here with this problem??

Q) Determine for what values of

element p is a member of set R, int[exp(px)]dx ; where
upper lim=infinity , lower lim=0

converges and find its value in those cases?

so far:

I got the anti-derivative of the integrand is exp(px)/p.

For the integral to exist, you must have p<0, in which case the
value is -1/p.

The integrand increases without bound for p>0, and for p=0, it is constant, again leading to an unbounded result for the value.

This is where I'm lost, how do you find the value for p<0?

Can anyone verify what I have done and help me solve this problem.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is where I'm lost, how do you find the value for p<0?[/QUOTE}

Uhhh, didn't you just say:
For the integral to exist, you must have p<0, in which case the
value is -1/p.
?

In any case, the problem does not ask you to find the value of the integral- it only asks you to determine for what VALUES OF p the integral exists- you've already done that! (0f course, to show that your answer is correct, it is good to actually display the value: again, you've already done that!)

If I were really hard-nosed (and I AM!) I might point out that there is one error here: the anti-derivative of exp(px)= exp(px)/p only for p NOT equal to 0.

If p= 0, what is exp(px)? What is it's anti-derivative? Can that be evaluated between 0 and infinity?

To find the value for p<0, we can use the limit definition of the integral. As p approaches 0 from the negative side, the integral will approach infinity. This is because the integrand, exp(px), will approach 1 as p approaches 0, but the interval of integration is from 0 to infinity, so the area under the curve will continue to increase without bound.

Therefore, we can conclude that for p<0, the integral does not converge and does not have a finite value. This is because the function is increasing without bound and the interval of integration is infinite.

In summary, for the integral int[exp(px)]dx to converge, the value of p must be strictly less than 0. In those cases, the value of the integral is -1/p. For p≥0, the integral does not converge.

1. What does p<0 mean?

The symbol "p" refers to the probability value in statistical analysis, and a value of <0 indicates that the probability is less than 0. This means that there is a very low chance of the observed results being due to chance alone.

2. How is p<0 determined?

The value of p<0 is determined through statistical tests, such as t-tests or ANOVA, which calculate the probability of obtaining the observed results if the null hypothesis is true. A p-value less than 0.05 is typically considered statistically significant.

3. What does it mean if p<0 is significant?

A significant p<0 value indicates that the observed results are unlikely to be due to chance, and therefore, the null hypothesis can be rejected. This means that there is a strong evidence for a relationship or difference between the variables being studied.

4. Is p<0 the same as p=0?

No, p<0 and p=0 are not the same. A value of p=0 means that there is no probability of obtaining the observed results if the null hypothesis is true, and therefore, the null hypothesis can be rejected with 100% confidence. On the other hand, p<0 indicates a very low probability, but not necessarily 0.

5. Can you have a negative p-value?

No, a p-value cannot be negative. It is a probability value and therefore, it must fall between 0 and 1. A value of p<0 indicates a very small probability, but it is still greater than 0.