Problem of the Week #47 - February 18th, 2013

• MHB
  • Thread starter Chris L T521
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about the speaker's expertise as a summarizer of content. They clarified that they do not engage in back-and-forth discussions, but rather provide concise summaries of information. The speaker also emphasized their ability to summarize without any additional input or commentary.
Chris L T521
Gold Member
MHB
Thanks to those who participated in last week's POTW! Here's this week's problem (going with another probability question)!

-----

Problem: Let $X_1,X_2,\ldots,X_n$ be independent random variables, each having a uniform distribution over $(0,1)$. Let $M=\max(X_1,X_2,\ldots,X_n)$. Show that the distribution function of $M$, $F_M(\cdot)$, is given by \[F_M(x)=x^n,\qquad 0\leq x\leq 1.\]
What is the probability density function of $M$?

-----

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this week's question. Here's my solution:

Observe that $\mathbb{P}(X_i\leq x)=\displaystyle\int_0^x 1dx=x$. So

$\hspace{.5in}\begin{aligned}F_M(x)&=\mathbb{P}(M \leq x)\\ &=\mathbb{P}\left[\bigcap\limits_{i=1}^n(X_i\leq x)\right]\\ &= \prod\limits_{i=1}^n\mathbb{P}(X_i\leq x)\,\,\text{ since $X_i$'s are independent}\\ &= \mathbb{P}(X_i\leq x)^n\\ &= x^n\end{aligned}$

The density function is the derivative of $F_M(x)$ which is $F_M^{\prime}(x)=f_M(x)=nx^{n-1}$.

Related to Problem of the Week #47 - February 18th, 2013

1. What is the problem of the week for February 18th, 2013?

The problem of the week for February 18th, 2013 is a mathematical problem that challenges individuals to use their problem-solving skills to find the solution.

2. How often is the problem of the week posted?

The problem of the week is posted every week on Monday, giving participants a full week to work on the problem and submit their solutions.

3. Who can participate in the problem of the week?

Anyone can participate in the problem of the week, regardless of age or educational background. It is open to anyone who is interested in solving challenging problems.

4. Are there any prizes for solving the problem of the week?

There are usually no prizes for solving the problem of the week, as it is primarily meant to be a fun and educational activity. However, some organizations or websites may offer prizes for their specific version of the problem of the week.

5. How can I submit my solution to the problem of the week?

Solutions to the problem of the week can usually be submitted through email or through a designated submission form on the website or platform hosting the problem. Make sure to follow the specific instructions for submission to ensure your solution is considered.