Abstract explosion modelling - how to?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of modeling an explosion in a simplified program. The explosion is modeled as an infinite number of forces originating from a point in space and affecting the movement and rotation of a single object. The technique of KrashExplosion modeling is mentioned, which involves simulating the propagation of an explosion in a fluid using shock fronts and pressure-density curves. The conversation also touches on the accuracy of the calculations and the search for equations to find the necessary values in either cartesian or polar coordinates.
Krash
I want to model an extremely simplified explosion in a little program I have. All I want to do is accurately model the movement of a single object affected by this explosion in a void.

Here's how I'm thinking about things so far. I'd appreciate it if people could tell me whether I'm on the right track or not.

- Model the "explosion" as an infinite number of forces of equal magnitude, originating from a point in space.
- The movement of the object is along the 3d line between the object's center of mass and the origin of the explosion, and is inversely proportional to it's distance from that origin.

The rotation of the object has me a little stumped, but I think this would be accurate:
- Take the surface of the object nearest the explosion, and find the infinite 3d plane of which it is a part.
- Find the perpendicular distance between that plane and the origin. This becomes the magnitude of the tortional force.
- Find the point on the plane which this perpendicular strikes, and find it's distance from the object's center of mass. This, combined with the above magnitude, allows the calculation of the speed at which the object will now spin.
- The axis of rotation is the line perpendicular to both the extended plane and it's initial perpendicular, passing through the object's center of mass.

Is all that accurate, assuming the object is a regular polyhedron? The calculations would obviously be more complex if I wanted to include such things as gravity, air, temperature, etc, but I don't. I just want a few polygons to fly away from a point in a realistic fashion.

Assuming that it is accurate, can someone point me in the direction of the equations for finding the values I'd need? I'd prefer them in cartesian coordinates, but polar would do...

- Krash

Physics news on Phys.org
Explosion modeling is a technique used in computational fluid dynamics (CFD) to simulate the propagation of an explosion in a fluid. The explosion is usually modeled as a shock front traveling at a constant speed. The shock wave is modeled as a discontinuity in the pressure and density fields.

A shock front can be defined as a point on a pressure-density curve where the pressure and density change discontinuously. The propagation of the shock front is a one-dimensional adiabatic process.

The shock front expansion is a result of a pressure drop across the shock front. The pressure drop across a shock front is a function of the density of the fluid. As the fluid tries to reach equilibrium, the density decreases, which causes the shock front to propagate.

1. What is an abstract explosion model?

An abstract explosion model is a simplified representation of an explosion phenomenon that is used to better understand and predict the behavior of explosions. It is a mathematical or computational model that takes into account various factors such as energy release, shock wave propagation, and material properties to simulate the explosion.

2. What are the benefits of using abstract explosion modelling?

Abstract explosion modelling allows scientists to study and analyze the effects of explosions in a controlled and safe environment. It also helps in predicting the potential damage and impact of explosions, which can be useful in disaster management and prevention strategies.

3. How is an abstract explosion model created?

An abstract explosion model is created using a combination of experimental data, theoretical equations, and computer simulations. Scientists collect data from previous explosions and use mathematical equations to represent the behavior of different elements involved in an explosion. This data is then plugged into computational software to create a virtual simulation of the explosion.

4. What are the limitations of abstract explosion modelling?

Abstract explosion modelling is limited by the accuracy and availability of data. As it is a simplified representation of a complex phenomenon, it may not always capture the full complexity of a real explosion. Additionally, the accuracy of the model also depends on the quality of the data used and the assumptions made during its creation.

5. How is abstract explosion modelling used in real-world applications?

Abstract explosion modelling is used in various real-world applications such as designing and testing explosives, developing safety protocols for industrial explosions, and analyzing the impact of explosions on structures and materials. It is also used in disaster management and prevention strategies to better understand and mitigate the effects of explosions.