Sizing a mototr to the right torque

In summary: Also, an AC motor would have better efficiency and less maintenance. In summary, Rick is seeking advice on what size motor to use for a project involving showcasing a custom motor cycle at a carshow. The motor needs to rotate the bike at approximately 1 revolution per minute and should have a torque of 18 ft/lbs. Based on calculations, an AC synchronous motor would be the best choice for efficiency and maintenance purposes.
RHorseUSMC
Hello- new to the board and had a question for anyone that can help. I am trying to figure what size motor I will need for a project. My brother has built a custom motor cycle and to showcase it at the carshow we were going to mount the motor cycle on a platform and rotate it at approx. 1 revolution per minute. the bike weighs approx. 650 pounds. I am not sure if we should use a AC or DC motor. I know the length of the shaft and will need to be figured as well. I am open to any suggestions. We thought a DC moto rated @ 1.5 RPM and 18 ft/lbs of torque might work but I thought I would check with someone that knows a bit more on the subject. Thank you. Please feel free to email me any suggestions-Rick

Physics news on Phys.org
The torque sounds about right. I calculate that your display with motorcycle on it will spin up to the desired 1rpm in about 1 second. That's provided your friction is small compared with the motor torque.

I would guess you should use an AC synchronous motor. A DC motor wouldn't operate at the correct rpm without some kind of speed sensor and feedback.

1. How do I determine the required torque for my motor?

The required torque for a motor can be calculated by multiplying the load force by the distance from the center of rotation to the point of force application. This will give you the torque required to move the load.

2. What factors should be considered when sizing a motor to the right torque?

Some important factors to consider when sizing a motor to the right torque include the type and weight of the load, the desired speed and acceleration of the motor, and any external forces acting on the load.

3. Can a motor be oversized for a given load?

Yes, a motor can be oversized for a given load. However, this can lead to increased costs and energy consumption. It is important to carefully consider the specific requirements of the load to avoid oversizing the motor.

4. What are the consequences of undersizing a motor?

Undersizing a motor can result in the motor failing to meet the required torque, leading to slow or incomplete movement of the load. This can also cause excessive wear and tear on the motor, shortening its lifespan.

5. How can I ensure I have chosen the right motor and torque for my application?

To ensure you have chosen the right motor and torque for your application, it is important to carefully analyze the specific requirements of the load and consider all relevant factors. Consulting with a motor expert or using online sizing calculators can also help in making an informed decision.