Search for all posts by this user: don't work

• Thread starter pelastration
  • Start date
In summary: The problem with that is it doesn't give you the exact post of the User. It only gives you the threads they posted in.
pelastration
Have you the same problem?
When I go to a member's page and open the 'Search for all posts by this user." link I receive the first page with his last posts. That's Ok. But when I try to open his older posts (page 2, 3 ... last) I just get that first page back.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes the same prob. is cropping from here too

This is a well known problem and we don't have plans to correct it until we upgrade.

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
This is a well known problem and we don't have plans to correct it until we upgrade.

sounds like Microsoft

I was about to report this problem myself and decided I'd do a search to see if someone else already has. So here I am.

So no plans to fix eh? :frown: That's too bad. I've had to get creative to try to get to the post I'm looking for. Sometimes it just doesn't work.

Offtopic: On another forum I used to visit, after redoing the whole site layout and upgraded the forums they also got rid of all the previous posts so people had to start over again. And it was owned by the Government, figured they should know better. But apparently not.

FWIW, I have had luck using Google to find posts.

How to search-return ALL of a user's posts

I'm pretty sure you can access all pages of a user-posts search if you use the general search function (top-tight corner of this page).
https://www.physicsforums.com/search.php?s=

Just <Search By User Name> without putting anything in the <Search By Keyword> box. Select <Sort Results By...> <last posting date> <in ascending order>, and that user's posts will be returned in the order of oldest to newest.

Just a note: it didn't work the very first time I tried it, but I think I had something in the <Search By Keyword> box. It has worked every time I have tried it, since then.

*edit: fixed typo*

-Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the search button at the top of the page. Type in user name (be exact) and click search. I always get a list with pages I can access.

Originally posted by hitssquad
I'm pretty sure you can access all pages of a user-posts search if you use the general search function (top-tight corner of this page).
https://www.physicsforums.com/search.php?s=

-Chris

The problem with that is it doesn't give you the exact post of the User. It only gives you the threads they posted in.

Last edited by a moderator:
It does. You simply need to tell it to display the results as posts, and not as thread titles.

You're right, it sure does! but the posts from page one is still the same as page three!

'Show results as posts' causes problem to reemerge

Hmmm, you're right, The Professional. Searching with the upper-right-corner search button fixes the problem, but selecting the Show results as posts radio button breaks it again.

A labor-intensive way around this is to select the and older radio button and select from the accompanying drop-down box the latest date of the first page of previous hits.

-Chris

1. Why does the "Search for all posts by this user" feature not work sometimes?

The "Search for all posts by this user" feature may not work if the user has deleted their posts or if their posts were deleted by a moderator. It could also be a technical issue with the website or search function.

2. How accurate is the "Search for all posts by this user" feature?

The accuracy of this feature depends on the functionality and indexing of the website's search function. It may not always show all of the user's posts, especially if they have a large number of posts on the website.

3. Is there a way to filter the results of the "Search for all posts by this user" feature?

This feature may have filters or options to narrow down the search results, such as by date or post type. However, this depends on the specific website and its search functionality.

4. Can the "Search for all posts by this user" feature be used on all websites?

No, this feature is specific to each website and may not be available on every website. It also depends on the website's search function and how it indexes and displays user posts.

5. How can I troubleshoot issues with the "Search for all posts by this user" feature?

If you are experiencing issues with this feature, you can try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, or using a different browser. If the issue persists, you can contact the website's support team for further assistance.