The Credibility of Scientific Evidence: Replication and Reliability

• Thread starter FZ+
  • Start date
In summary: This is a long-standing problem in philosophy, and nobody has ever come up with a definition of "matter" that doesn't have serious problems. So while I feel that "materialism" is a useful concept, I don't think it's really possible to say exactly what it is. Other than, perhaps, "I know it when I see it". Any attempt to define it is going to run into problems. For example, you could say that "matter is that which has mass and occupies space" (
FZ+
To spare Flipton, LWSleeth, Royce et al from my rather continuous ranting on the other thread, I've set this one up so my ranting may be safely ignored. :wink:

What I think materialism is:

My form of materialism is the fundamental denial of a material immaterial distinction. All concepts thought of as immaterial are thus either material in disguise, or non-existent entities. All things that are real are material, and this reality is because it acts in a material way - by having some sort of influence on other things which make it possible to be measured or perceived. (Of course, I think Flipton believes this not to be materialism at all, so I'll be happy for anyone else to come up with a name for it.)

In short:
Material = exerting some sort of influence that renders it detectable
Reality = that which is material
Immaterial reality = contradiction in terms, as to be real, it must become material.

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Materialism is a form of ignorance used by marxists to make people believe they are not sentient.

Reality = that which is material

That's an... interesting definition for Material. I've always used that same definition for existence (provided we have the means to detect anything without error, of course)... But that in no way rules out things that are considered "immaterial", the question is DO they effect anything? If you have something that effects nothing else in any way, it is not effected in any way either. You have something that takes up no space, contains no energy, and exerts no gravitational field (or any other thing that effects other things), and those types of things we label "non-existant". The debate about things considered immaterial is over whether they do effect anything, since that is the definition of existence.

All that is essentially what you said in your post, I think. I wouldn't call that "materialism" though- materialism is when only "material" (physical, made of elementary particles in certain patterns moving in certain ways) things are considered to exist (effect things).

Last edited:
as I said in the other thread, this comment...
Originally posted by FZ+

My form of materialism is the fundamental denial of a material immaterial distinction.

... is not consistent with this comment...

In short:

The first claims there is no distinction between material and immaterial and the second one is specific enough for me to make a distinction by simply reversing the definition.

Immaterial = exerting some sort of influence that does not render it detectable.

Wether something exerting an influence and remaining undetectable is possible in reality or not is not the issue. The issue being addressed in the first comment above is whether words can be assigned to make a conceptual distinction.

Pick which of the two you want to go with before we discuss the definition. Or show how they are saying the same thing because I can't see it.

Last edited:
Materialism: the fullfillment of all hedonistic desires.

"Non-Materialism": denying all hedonistic desires on Earth, in favor of hedonism in the "after-life?" A contradicting view of the "non-materialists."

Carlos Hernandez

Just to repeat what I said in the other thread.

I'm not a materialist, but it seems to be that materialism simply means that there is an ontologically self-subsistent reality which is susceptible to a mathematical description by the hard sciences, that this reality is the totality of all that exists, and that this reality, if organised in a particular way, logically entails conscious awareness.

It would be smart to search for a professional definition of materialism and not just decide your opinions to be the truth. I have no direct definition of materialism, but I will check it in a book later an post it.

Originally posted by the_truth
Materialism is a form of ignorance used by marxists to make people believe they are not sentient.
Huh? Who made this up, and what does it have to do with this thread?

Originally posted by Interesting Ian
Just to repeat what I said in the other thread.

I'm not a materialist, but it seems to be that materialism simply means that there is an ontologically self-subsistent reality which is susceptible to a mathematical description by the hard sciences, that this reality is the totality of all that exists, and that this reality, if organised in a particular way, logically entails conscious awareness.
That sounds like a decent definition. What I would add is that the 'immaterial world', since it by definition doesn't have a measurable effect on the accepted material realm, can(for all practical purposes) be treated as nonexistant.

Marxism is the idea that sentience, values and culture tie the economy and should be ignored in order to improve civilisation. Though we are all sentient and there is no point to life if we ignore our purposes and so marxists had to somehow disprove that sentience exists in order to gain support. This is where materialism comes in. Marxists noticed that scientific could not prove that sentience existed, though this is incorrect as sentience is the ability to perceive and clearly all can perceive, ignoring this they managed to make people believe that they are not sentient making them blindly follow whatever orders are given to them.

Materialism is yet another political corruption of philosophy. Frankly I disagree with any idealism concerning philosophy, following one ideal is the equivalent of claiming that only positrons exist.

It can be said that materialism occurs and that materialists tend to do better as they do not believe in things which do not occur. Unfortunately I cannot accept the idea of materialism as the idea of materialis has been corrupted by marxists to serve as an indoctrination tool. I prefer logic, or perhaps logicism, to materialism.

Originally posted by the_truth
Materialism is yet another political corruption of philosophy. Frankly I disagree with any idealism concerning philosophy, following one ideal is the equivalent of claiming that only positrons exist.

Exactly.

If you are a materialist, you value things. Gadgets. And you believe that these are more important than anything else for instance social interaction or your family.

Originally posted by Thallium
Exactly.

If you are a materialist, you value things. Gadgets. And you believe that these are more important than anything else for instance social interaction or your family.
Exactly wrong...did you bother to read the first post of this thread? We're not talking about political stuff, we're talking about electrons and stuff.

Ha! Thallium is not a troll, not just because he agrees with me, but because if he were a troll he would have made a silly statement concerning something irrelevant. I must go back and reconsider a statement of my own.

Sorry about my comment on materialism.

And to "the_truth" - stop being so proud of yourself. It's just disgusting.

And one more thing - I am a she, not a he.

When I proved you wrong I proved you wrong to prove you wrong not to make myself seem more intelligent than you. If being right makes me pompous, then pompous I will be. :smile:

the truth. may I ask what gender are you? No offense meant.

I'm baack... What did I miss?

In case we are wondering, this was the result of a double post that I couldn't correct.

But I'll address Flipton...

The first claims there is no distinction between material and immaterial and the second one is specific enough for me to make a distinction by simply reversing the definition.
What I mean is that the set of entities that exist, or can exist is the same as the set of entities that are material, and they are both defined in terms of having some sort of influence that is detectable. An attempt to insert a set of entities that are immaterial will either neccessarily lie outside of the set of possible-existent entities - and so be useless, or intersect with the set of material objects and be defined arbitarily.

Make any sense?

Originally posted by FZ+

What I mean is that the set of entities that exist, or can exist is the same as the set of entities that are material, and they are both defined in terms of having some sort of influence that is detectable. An attempt to insert a set of entities that are immaterial will either neccessarily lie outside of the set of possible-existent entities - and so be useless, or intersect with the set of material objects and be defined arbitarily.

Make any sense?

I suppose. Two things. 1) I don't believe this is the definition of materialism as it is discussed in philosophy. This definition is useless to categorize a view because there is no opposing view.

2) If we just accept this non-definition then materialism no longer matters to me because the only thing I was trying to understand was the distinction between the views that get presented here in this forum. If we just accept your definition of materialism then it means that materialism is not where the distinction is and everyone is just using the wrong word. I am only trying to understand what the fundamental difference is between the views in this forum. Defining materialism and non-materialism was my first step because that's the word everyone was using. Since this cannot be where the disinction is then it's time to move on and figure out exactly where it is. We know there is a distinction because the philosphy forum is full of debates on it. Now if we can just throw away this word "materialism" and move on.

Fliption, as I said in the other thread, the Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy defines the three ideas on metaphysics thus:

Materialism: The belief that only physical reality exists.
Idealism: The belief that only mental, non-physical, reality exists.
Dualism: The belief that both physical and mental realities exist.

Clearly, the distinction that philosophers seem to be going with is that Idealists believe that there is no physical realm, but (since they are still conscious beings) there must be a non-physical mental world.

Originally posted by Mentat
Fliption, as I said in the other thread, the Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy defines the three ideas on metaphysics thus:

Clearly, the distinction that philosophers seem to be going with is that Idealists believe that there is no physical realm, but (since they are still conscious beings) there must be a non-physical mental world.

I have already tried(in various threads) to suggest that the distinction of materialism and non-materialism involved mental-stuff and I was fought tooth and nail on it. So I think it may be more productive to just try to understand what the fundamental distinction is between the views of people posting in this forum. These people are calling themselves materialists and non-materialists but if we cannot come up with a definition that is distinctive then these labels cannot be used to understand the distinction so I'm suggesting we drop them. Unless of course, you want to concede that the philosophical definition of non-materialists views is based on the the fundamental existence of mind stuff as opposed to material stuff. Even though this would only be conceding a semantic issue and not one of actual truth and would be very useful for helping us with the distinction of views here, I have not been able to get a few of the more vocal materialists to accept it. Even though it seems to be the established definition.

So if you still want to cling to your original definition of materialism then let's drop it and start over. We can start by you telling me what the fundamental difference is between your view and the views of Hypnagogue and Royce. I'm not interested in the differences in you're beliefs. I'm interested in the reason why you're beliefs are different. There must be some fundamental reason. These fundamental reasons are usually found in labels but since you have rendered the materialists label useless we can't use it. This request obviously applies to FZ as well.

I thought I was a materialist but the definitions so far given seem to narrow to fit my beliefs. So I'll call myself a physicalist or a scientific monist from now on.

Fliption and Mantat, I think that the definitions that were given in Mentat's post are good working definitions. Not everyone will agree to agree but they are a place to start. We can then all show how and why our beliefs differ from such strict and limited definitions.
A materialist is one who believes that only the physical exists. A non-materialist is one who believes that there are things that exist that is not physical. In this strict definition I would be a dualist to start and then I would have to explain how and why my beliefs are not so limited or strict.
However, the next step is to come up with a definbition of "physical" that we can all agree on. "Everything that exists." won't work for obvious reasons.

Then I stick to dualism. But of course. all three terms are worth examining for a greater understanding.

Originally posted by Royce
Fliption and Mantat, I think that the definitions that were given in Mentat's post are good working definitions. Not everyone will agree to agree but they are a place to start. We can then all show how and why our beliefs differ from such strict and limited definitions.

Yes, I think those definitions are close to accurate as well. But when I proposed these same definitions in other threads, they were not acceptable. I was told that defining a concept makes the concept an actuality in reality. Yes, that's right, according to these people, pink unicorns actually exist because we have made up a word to describe them.

You can see the futility of arguing with such people. So I've proposed a different approach.

But I agree with you that if we stick with the term materialism then the next step is to define physical. But I'm no longer optimistic about this approach.

Physical (a physical object): Comprised of fermions, bosons, or space- or a combination thereof.

Aphysical (an aphysical object): Comprised of materials that react to each other in a way similar to the way physical materials interact, but which interact with physical things in such a weak manner as to be undetectible by current instruments.

Nonphysical (a nonphysical object): Not physical.

Uphysical (a uphysical object): Either physical or aphysical.

Statal (a state): A description of part of a uphysical object's past and present from which a part of that uphysical object's future may be inferred.

why don't people get holistic? at least this is the 21st century.

Originally posted by Fliption
I have already tried(in various threads) to suggest that the distinction of materialism and non-materialism involved mental-stuff and I was fought tooth and nail on it. So I think it may be more productive to just try to understand what the fundamental distinction is between the views of people posting in this forum. These people are calling themselves materialists and non-materialists but if we cannot come up with a definition that is distinctive then these labels cannot be used to understand the distinction so I'm suggesting we drop them. Unless of course, you want to concede that the philosophical definition of non-materialists views is based on the the fundamental existence of mind stuff as opposed to material stuff.

What you must realize is that a Materialist not only assumes that all thing are composed of "material stuff", but also that there is such a thing as "material stuff" ITFP. The same is true of Idealists with regard to "mind stuff". So, the opposite PoV does not just say that the true reality is not composed of whatever their opposition says, but also that that which their opposition refers to as the composition of true reality doesn't even exist.

So if you still want to cling to your original definition of materialism then let's drop it and start over. We can start by you telling me what the fundamental difference is between your view and the views of Hypnagogue and Royce. I'm not interested in the differences in you're beliefs. I'm interested in the reason why you're beliefs are different. There must be some fundamental reason. These fundamental reasons are usually found in labels but since you have rendered the materialists label useless we can't use it. This request obviously applies to FZ as well.

What are the views of hypnagogue and Royce (paraphrase, if you will)?

Originally posted by Sikz
Aphysical (an aphysical object): Comprised of materials that react to each other in a way similar to the way physical materials interact, but which interact with physical things in such a weak manner as to be undetectible by current instruments.

If they interact with physical things, then they are physical, since (axiomatically, it would seem) all interactions occurring among physical things are physical interactions.

Uphysical (a uphysical object): Either physical or aphysical.

So all objects are "uphysical", even if there really is no physical, or if there really is no non-physical, or if both exist?

If so, what is the purpose of the word?

Statal (a state): A description of part of a uphysical object's past and present from which a part of that uphysical object's future may be inferred.

Expound please.

What you must realize is that a Materialist not only assumes that all thing are composed of "material stuff", but also that there is such a thing as "material stuff" ITFP. The same is true of Idealists with regard to "mind stuff". So, the opposite PoV does not just say that the true reality is not composed of whatever their opposition says, but also that that which their opposition refers to as the composition of true reality doesn't even exist.

That is one belief. There is also the many beliefs classified as dualists. The whole point is that in order for someone to say I am a dualist or I am not a dualists, they must first understand what the distinctions between the "two things" are. I sense that you are still confusing semantics with reality.

I do not believe that purple elephants actually exist. If I ran into a person who did believe that purple elephants exist then it would be clear what distinguishes our views because we have two very descriptive words describing that distinction, purple and elephant. But if I re-define "gray" elephants to mean every color, such that if a purple elephant is actually discovered I will simple re-define "purple" to mean "gray" and no longer mean "purple", then how do I ever understand the opposing view? The only basis for debate becomes about semantics and not substance. If I use words this way then I have no way of understanding how a person can believe in purple elephants(Dualists) because, by my definition, it is impossible to believe in purple elephants! The very fact that dualists exist tells me that they don't use the same definition as you.

Again, I'm not trying to say whether purple animals exists or not. I'm trying to understand what we're debating here before we debate it.

What are the views of hypnagogue and Royce (paraphrase, if you will)?

Exactly.:smile:

After countless posts debating and we have to ask this. This is my whole point.

Last edited:
I have said it so many times in so many places, using so many different definitions or view of materialism that I don't even know what I really think or why any more.
One more time!
[p]In my humble opinion.[/p]

There is only one reality.

There are three, at least, aspects to that reality - spiritual, mental and material.

All aspects of really are able to interact as they are simply different aspects of the same thing, as different sides of a triangle to use the most obvious and simplest metaphor.

The spiritual is just as real as the material and the material is just as real as the spiritual and the mental is just as real as both of the others.

I believe this because I know that the mental exist for the same reasons that I know that the physical exists and for the same reasons that I know that the spiritual exist. I have had personal experiences that are equally real and meaningful in all three of these aspects of the one reality.

I also know, and science clearly shows, that the material is an effect and not a cause. Purely physical material things or stuff is vertually inert and incapable of doing anything on its own without some immaterial, nonphysical force or energy being applied.

This is why I think that materialist, who think that the material physical object phase of reality is all that there is, are looking in the wrong direction. They see only the effect and assume that, since that is all that there is, it must also be the cause. Yet science and physics constantly show that this is not the case.

This appears to me to be a case of; "Don't confuse me with facts. My mind is made up." Materialist of course understandably think the same thing of dualist, idealist, me and others like me.

Again I think that this is a result of reductionism losing sight of the big picture by consentrating on their mircoscopic few of the world and thinking it all of reality.

I may be wrong, I probably am wrong and I am certainly wrong when it comes to individual cases as all general statements are by necessity wrong. I do not intend to insult or offend. If the shoe does not fit then don't wear it, to parphrase an old adage.

Fair enough.

The beginning is that I like science. Hell, I love science. Science is cool, science is great, etc etc. You get the idea.

Now, we come to something like the mind. According to Hypnagogue et al, science cannot explain the mind.

I refuse to accept that. On the first level, Hypnagogue insists that the mind exists in a subjective fashion, that is (a) immune from general inquiry, and (b) somehow distinct. To me, however, this is a profoundly useless idea.

First of all, we have never found any such boundary. As far as science, and any other sort of rational inquiry is concerned, there is no tower of babel. We can continue to study, and continue to understand, and the placing of a line past which it is not possible to understand any further is simply a signal of defeat. Secondly, the insistence of a sort of distinctness "above the material plane" and thus somehow inaccessible is to me a contradiction, as somehow you must have gained an understanding of whatever entity you are talking about, and we can put that into science. Finally, there is a sense of an implicit judgement on the scientific procedure, in that it must give a certain "materialist" result, that appears to be a corruption of what science represents as an ideal.

I see no reason to pigeonhole people as being materialist, and so having to think a certain way. It is exasperating, whenever someone says: since you are a materialist, you must believe that the mind is just random electrons, or that life is just a chemical reaction. Why? What is so bad to call something "merely" what it is? And why assume that it must be reduced further? Materialists accept gravity, do they not? If anything, the expert overbelieve in chemogenesis because they are traditionalists. But the general notion of materialism is too often synonymous with a caricature, an insult to the universe is thought of as.

The universe is wierd, the universe is uncertain, the universe is largely unknown. I fail to see how accepting as an axiom that there is only one reality, and that nothing's "sacred" would limit the way you see it, only make you see from a different direction.

When someone talks of God, I make the automatic translation to enigmatic alien being. When someone talks of Ultimate Reality, I think of an undiscovered universal law. When someone talks of meditation, I think of either undiscovered sensory network, or unusual brain patterns. When someone talks of a soul, I think of a hypothetical "awareness particle." When someone talks of fate, I think of the landscape of spacetime. When someone talks of free will, I think of the uncertainty principle. In which way has anything changed? When someone poses the so called Hard Question of consciousness - why should this give rise to experience - why can't I say: because that merely physical explanation is what experience is.

Excuse the ranting. Minor (non-existent) awards available for whoever makes sense of that.

Last edited:
I think this is an excellent post FZ, ranting or not. I think this type of discussion will get us much further than if we hide behind labels like "materialism" because it's obvious everyone defines that differently.

If I can paraphrase what you've said... Is it fair to say that you don't believe that anything that actually exists is beyond the realms of science? Maybe this is the direction we should go to find a distinction in views.

Hopefully people who disagree with you can specifically say why they disagree with some of your specific points and for once we can talk about this without the use of vague labels.

Now I'll comment on some of your points just to get this going.

Originally posted by FZ+
Now, we come to something like the mind. According to Hypnagogue et al, science cannot explain the mind. I refuse to accept that. On the first level, Hypnagogue insists that the mind exists in a subjective fashion, that is (a) immune from general inquiry, and (b) somehow distinct. To me, however, this is a profoundly useless idea.

Hopefully Hypnagogue will have an opportunity to comment but I'm not sure this is what Hypnagogue thinks. I think he thinks that consciousness is not reducible and ought to be accepted into science as a fundamental thing. Much like energy, spacetime etc. This view doesn't seem to be asking for any "line" to be drawn. It's merely dealing with what the fundamental, non-reducible parts to existence are. Everything reduces to a point where it can no longer be reduced. Right? Do we know what these non-reducible points are? Exactly what principal does science have for deciding when something is no longer reducible? How do we ever really know? Why should we be so convinced that something like consciousness is reducible? Actually I believe Hypnagogue has philosophical issues with consciousness being reducible;not scientific ones. All the more reason to take it seriously. And this view is an old one that has been troubling philosphers for years. It would help to understand it and understand why this is so.

Obviously, the point of this thread is for hypnagogue to discuss this with you in clear language. Not me since I'm stuck in the indecisive mode. I'm just asking the questions that come to my mind.

When someone poses the so called Hard Question of consciousness - why should this give rise to experience - why can't I say: because that merely physical explanation is what experience is.

How much scientific data would you have to give to a blind man for him to understand the color "red"? IMO, no matter how many times you give measurements of wavelength, or brain process steps etc etc, this man will never know the color red. How can this experience of red be reduced so that he understands? This I think is related to the philosophical arguments I mentioned above.

I, for one, know that there is knowledge in experience. You can read all the books you want and learn everything there is to learn about how to play tennis, but you'll never really know how to play it or what's it's like to play it until you experience playing it. It's funny how that works but it's true.

Also, Royce stated above what he thinks. Maybe he can point out whether he thinks his three aspects of reality can be under the study of science and why or why not.

Last edited:
Glad to, Fliption.
So long as science confines itself the material, objective reality and accepts nothing but emperical date then I don't believe that science can by definition study or learn anything about the subjective or spiritual realms of reality. It has been all but impossible to address these things with the strict materialist here in this forum. This is why I say this.
However I think that science will sooner or later begin to stray from the strict material and emperical limits that it has placed on itself.
The first steps have already been made when we look at the findings of QM and QED and Relativity. There also is as of yet no emperical evidence supporting string theory. While most would agree that psychology cannot yet be termed as a science there is no reason to believe that it will never be a science.
I think that as we delve deeper and deeper into human behaviour, psychology and consciousness as well as the hard sciences we approach the imagined boundry between the material and emperical and the nonmaterial and nonemperical. This is the main reason that I keep insisting that there is only one reality. The sudy of any facet of reality is thus the study of all of reality and any line of study will eventually lead to the revelation of all of reality. As yet science has refused to take that next step beyound materialism and empericalism. It just stops thinking that it has come to a dead end or that is cannot and must not go beyound. This I think is why so many have so much trouble with QM and consciousness colapsing the wave function. It just ain't science!

Originally posted by Royce
Glad to, Fliption.
So long as science confines itself the material, objective reality and accepts nothing but emperical date then I don't believe that science can by definition study or learn anything about the subjective or spiritual realms of reality.

However I think that science will sooner or later begin to stray from the strict material and emperical limits that it has placed on itself.

This response uses the word Materialism as the distinction a bit too much for me to truly understand why you say these things. As I've said, materialism doesn't mean much to me.

Science is only doing what it is supposed to be doing. So what is that?
Science studies patterns of behavior through emperical observations, the results of which can be verified by multiple examiners obtaining the same results.

Given this understanding, is it possible for science to study all 3 aspects of reality that you mentioned?

Material as in matter or objective physical stuff, not philosophical materialism, whatever that may be.

As I said, so long as "Science is doing what it is suppose to do" and limits itself to physical phenomena and emperical evidence then, as I said in the previous posts, science cannot study mental or spiritual phenomena.

By the same token, Science cannot and should not attempt to disprove or disclaim any such phenomena as it is outside of its realm of study and any and all evidence is outside its strict emperical rules of evidence.

I do not say or claim that that is bad. Only that it is. We cannot have it both ways. We cannot use Science to study the physical realm only and then claim that science "disproves" or "does not show" or "does not support" or that "there is no evidence" the other realms of reality that I and others maintain exists, the mental and spiritual.

You asked; "Can Science study these other realms?" No, not as it is structured and self limited by its rules of evidence as it now is.
Science does not accept anecdotal evidence. It can't. So far the only evidence of any phenomena other than physical is all anecdotal.
Even if 4 billion people testified and swore to some phenomena happening and evey testemony was exactly the same it would not be scientific evidence and as such would be outside the realm of science. This does not mean that science could or would call 4 billion people liars, frauds, deluded or fools. There are those who would, even in this forum, but they are not speaking any more scientifically than those who testify to such an event.

Change the rules of evidence and change the methods of study and science could study these phenomena but would it then still be Science? There are those, possibly myself, who would say; no, it is no longer science.