Where Can I Find a Vacuum Tube for Household Object Experiments?

In summary, a 1" diameter by 1" glass rod coated with liquid rubber would create a vacuum chamber strong enough to hold an object 3" in diameter.
Tweek
in which I could fit about a 3" diameter object in. I have searched and searched all over the net and I can't find any. I would like to purchase a vacuum tube so that I could do several experiments on what happens to household objects in a vaccum. I would like to see how ice changes in it among many other objects.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need a bell jar. Try that as a key word in you search.

Edit:
3'! That is a pretty good sized bell jar. Do this compute the surface area of something big enough to hold that, then multiply by 14.7 lb/in2.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I wrote this late at night. I meant 3 inches haha
That would be huge if it was 3 feet

Ok, that's better. 3" Is easy. even so I don' think they give them away!

I'm prepared to spend some money on it. My physics teacher from long ago had one. I want one just like his. It had a clear tube so you could watch the penny and feather inside of it fall at the same speed.

Youd be better off using a HDMW plastic like kevlar get a pipe ( 4*5~6" or so )and a base and cover ( normally a plexi supplier can machine these to spec. You dead end the bottom and put a lid on with .say a rubber gasket and two draw latches, slap a vacuum gauge in there and a suction port and viola' a vacuum chamber you can throw out of a speeding car that won't break and one that will cost considerably less then a Pyrex object.

edit sp

Last edited:
You could also take a 1-inch diameter by 1-foot glass rod, liberally coat it with liquid rubber all around, 1/4-inch on all sides, but even thicker at the center.
Allow to cure.
Strike the rod at the center, causing the rod to break at that point.
Now, try to pull the two halves apart.
One hell of a vacuum.
O.K. it's my design, but a neat idea if carried forward.

1. What is a vacuum tube?

A vacuum tube is an electronic device used to control electric current through a vacuum in a sealed glass tube. It consists of a filament, grid, and plate, and is used in older technology such as radios and televisions.

2. How does a vacuum tube work?

A vacuum tube works by heating the filament, which causes it to release electrons. These electrons are then attracted to the positively charged plate, creating a flow of electric current. The grid in between the filament and plate can be used to control the current by either allowing or blocking the flow of electrons.

3. What are the advantages of vacuum tubes?

Vacuum tubes have high power handling capabilities, making them useful for amplifying and manipulating large signals. They also have a longer lifespan compared to modern electronic components and can withstand high temperatures and physical shock.

4. What are the disadvantages of vacuum tubes?

One major disadvantage of vacuum tubes is their size and weight, making them impractical for use in smaller devices. They also consume a lot of power and generate a significant amount of heat. Additionally, they are more expensive to produce compared to modern electronic components.

5. Are vacuum tubes still used in modern technology?

While vacuum tubes have been largely replaced by solid-state electronic devices, they are still used in certain applications such as high-power RF amplifiers and audio equipment for their unique sound characteristics. They are also used in niche markets where their advantages outweigh the disadvantages.