Understanding the Difference Between Square Inches and Inches Squared

• Thread starter Agahnim
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between '15 square inches' and '15 inches squared' and whether they are the same. It is determined that they are in fact the same. The conversation then moves on to the concept of cubic feet and whether they are the same as feet cubed. It is concluded that 1 cubic foot is the same as 1 foot cubed and this holds for other numbers as well. The conversation also mentions a calculation involving a small box and its volume in gallons. It is confirmed through calculations and a Google search that a cube with sides of 2.15 feet would have a volume of 72.5 gallons.
Agahnim
What's the difference between '15 square inches' and '15 inches squared'. I always thought there was a difference but now am being told that both are the same. If that's the case...

Then how does 1 sq. inch = 1 in squared?

Also...

Is 1 cubic foot the same as 1 foot cubed? Yes, that would seem to be the case.

However...does this hold for other numbers as well? Do 2 cubic feet = 2 ft. cubed? Or is it that 2 cubic feet would be a cube that is 1.27 ft on each side, while 2 ft. cubed would be a cube that measures 2 ft. on each side?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
15 inches squared is 225 square inches.

"15 inches squared is 225 square inches."

Hi,
I think if the AREA is 15 in. squared, that is the same as 15 square inches. This is the only way any of this makes sense to me.

Therefore...if area is given as 15 in ^ 2, that is the same as 15 square inches.

Perhaps I ought to have said 15 inches square and not squared

Hi,
Its ok, I am pretty confused about this thing as it is and no doubt confusing others in the process too!

Basically...I was doing a chem. problem and my calculations showed that a 2.15 X 2.15 X 2.15 foot box (just very little bigger than 2 feet on each side) would take 75 gallons to fill! I couldn't believe it and that's how this whole thing started. (One only needs to take a ruler and measure it against the walls to see how small this box would be, like I just did...He'll be surprised I am sure!)

But my calculations are right...it would take 75 milk jugs from one's fridge right now to fill a small box like that!

Sheesh...crazy!

Last edited:
One gallon is 0.137 cubic feet- not very large. A cube 2.15 feet on a side ("2.15 feet square") has volume 2.15x2.15x2.15= 9.94 cubic feet or 9.94/0.137= 72.5 gallons.

1. What is the meaning of "HELP Basic Math problem?"

"HELP Basic Math problem" is a phrase often used by students or individuals who are struggling with a basic math problem and are seeking assistance or guidance.

2. What are some common basic math problems?

Some common basic math problems include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, decimals, and basic geometry concepts such as area and perimeter.

3. How can I improve my basic math skills?

The best way to improve basic math skills is through practice and repetition. Set aside time each day to practice solving basic math problems and use online resources or textbooks for additional practice and explanations.

4. What should I do if I am still struggling with basic math after practicing?

If you are still struggling with basic math after practicing, it may be helpful to seek additional help from a tutor, teacher, or online resources. It is also important to identify specific areas of difficulty and focus on improving those skills.

5. Are there any tips for solving basic math problems more efficiently?

Yes, some helpful tips for solving basic math problems more efficiently include using mental math strategies, breaking down larger problems into smaller steps, and checking your work for errors. Additionally, practicing regularly can also improve efficiency in solving basic math problems.