Why logic and reason fail when we try to trace back the origin of universe

In summary, the conversation discusses the limitations of logic and reason when trying to understand the origin of the universe. It is argued that concepts such as time and space did not exist before the big bang and that our understanding is limited by our current observations and knowledge. The possibility of multiverses and the string theory are also mentioned as possible explanations for the universe's origin, but it is acknowledged that there is currently no scientific proof for any theory. The conversation ends with a reminder to keep exploring and not simply attribute the universe's creation to a higher power.
naveen
Why logic and reason fail when we try to trace back the origin of universe!

When we try to think what might have created the universe,when was it created,how,why,where etc etc, the parameters we are looking at are TIME when we say WHEN and SPACE when we say WHERE,HOW,WHAT,WHO.
Out of the ten or so dimensions that were created simutaneously space and time constitute four.That is why we cannot imagine of anything before the big bang because there was no time before the bigbang.Time itself was created at the moment of bigbang.We fail to imagine or guess what existed before bigbang because we imagine things in terms of matter or energy.both of them did not exist before bigbang.
So,to conclude :
We do not know what existed before bigbang simply because we have not come across anything like it ,as of yet.
so,keep looking and don't simply say it was the hand of GOD!

Space news on Phys.org
Well theyve already imagined possibilities before the bigbang.. that's what string theory is for apparently.

naveen said:
That is why we cannot imagine of anything before the big bang because there was no time before the bigbang.Time itself was created at the moment of bigbang.We fail to imagine or guess what existed before bigbang because we imagine things in terms of matter or energy.both of them did not exist before bigbang.

Time is relative. Perhaps time even accelerated as the universe accelerated.

For a big bang to occur, there had to be movement, change. Movement/change require time. Even if things happen simultaneously, in a billionth of a second, the moment in which they occur is a unit of time.

Time cannot be tied solely to our universe if you believe in the existence of multiverses. Do you believe that multiverses all banged into existence simultaneously? If so, then what brought that about?
Observation should tell you that the big bang probably had to have a cause- God, nature or both.

We do not know what existed before bigbang simply because we have not come across anything like it ,as of yet.

If you postulate that absolute nothingness existed pre-bang, then you must propose a model, some kind of theory that can explain the possibility of how nothingness can evolve into a big bang.
Even Kaku gets stuck on that question ("What happened moments before the big bang?")
At least I can tell you that in all of the doctor's seminars and interviews, I've not heard him once give any description of what theoretical physicists think happened one second before the Big Bang.
I don't believe that the Big Bang created cause and effect.

Last edited:
Which Big Bang are you referring to?

I guess I can assume you are referring to the most recent BB. Some of us are convinced that the last BB was preceeded by the last Big Crunch. We are probably in the minority in this case.

naveen said:
When we try to think what might have created the universe,when was it created,how,why,where etc etc, the parameters we are looking at are TIME when we say WHEN and SPACE when we say WHERE,HOW,WHAT,WHO.
Out of the ten or so dimensions that were created simutaneously space and time constitute four.That is why we cannot imagine of anything before the big bang because there was no time before the bigbang.Time itself was created at the moment of bigbang.We fail to imagine or guess what existed before bigbang because we imagine things in terms of matter or energy.both of them did not exist before bigbang.
So,to conclude :

Maybe that means it never really happened.

One of them boobytrap theories designed to keep the sons of the Nephilem stroking their peachfuzz and buying pipe tobacco.

cozzmikjoker said:
Time is relative. Perhaps time even accelerated as the universe accelerated..

This ,I think ,is possible.

cozzmikjoker said:
For a big bang to occur, there had to be movement, change. Movement/change require time. Even if things happen simultaneously, in a billionth of a second, the moment in which they occur is a unit of time...

Whats probable,I think is that,some where back in time,there was a point where in, cause and effect were simultaneous,not separated by time.It is possible that cause as well as effect are happening simultaneously.
Now,in this case the multiverses are possible,each being the cause for the other and also an effect of the other.Its as if multiverses are in a state of equillibrium.

naveen said:
This ,I think ,is possible.

Whats probable,I think is that,some where back in time,there was a point where in, cause and effect were simultaneous,not separated by time.It is possible that cause as well as effect are happening simultaneously.
Now,in this case the multiverses are possible,each being the cause for the other and also an effect of the other.Its as if multiverses are in a state of equillibrium.

Not meant to offend, but there is a lot of thinking, but less proof. we could spout off what we think till the "cows come home" and we would end up where we started... Anyone with scientific proof?

shadowman said:
Not meant to offend, but there is a lot of thinking, but less proof. we could spout off what we think till the "cows come home" and we would end up where we started... Anyone with scientific proof?

I know ,but this is just the beginning of the thread.There is a lot more to come.
The string theory for instance.We can talk bout that.

Im sorry, but the string theory is incorrect. its unconventional and false.

naveen said:
The logic we use to reason about reality is simply the most general relations we have observed about reality. We came to know the principles of reason and logic by generalizing on our observations about the universe. Therefore, logic only applies where there is a universe to consider. The beginning of logic in the universe would have to be where the very first point of exitence came into being. Nothing logical can be considered about nothing. But with the first point (or perhaps region), we see how something that truly exists can be derived from something that that does not. The next point coming into being shows that something true gives rise to true consequences. This is why the search is on to understand the logic and causality of spacetime itself.

Mike2 said:
The logic we use to reason about reality is simply the most general relations we have observed about reality. We came to know the principles of reason and logic by generalizing on our observations about the universe. Therefore, logic only applies where there is a universe to consider. The beginning of logic in the universe would have to be where the very first point of exitence came into being. Nothing logical can be considered about nothing. But with the first point (or perhaps region), we see how something that truly exists can be derived from something that that does not. The next point coming into being shows that something true gives rise to true consequences. This is why the search is on to understand the logic and causality of spacetime itself.

I agree with you mike2.

But something happens if you consider the probabilistics determination of reality. Then indeed, it is a wide open field.

So how in this logic, could you explain something before it ever existed, but by assuming that there was something existing before all this( reality) came into expression. Through that point.

Venn logic sometimes ties our hands, in the way we can look at the world because it is logical, but when it comes to seeing how energy could contain any particle, you have to wonder then about the nature of the universe and the reaity of energy, at it's very basis. How would you label this?

As Harmonic oscillations :smile:

Last edited:
sol2 said:
I agree with you mike2.

But something happens if you consider the probabilistics determination of reality. Then indeed, it is a wide open field.
If it is impossible to determine something, then you have to consider every possible alternative. It seems quantum mechanics is a formulation where you must consider every possible alternative (path) to determine how things will proceed. You must consider every possible alternative at once, and so the possibilities interfere with one another. That also seems like a logical method of reasoning.

sol2 said:
So how in this logic, could you explain something before it ever existed, but by assuming that there was something existing before all this( reality) came into expression. Through that point.
Logic does allow a true conclusion from a false premise; it may be true for other reasons besides the false premise. However, I consider the possibility that spacetime goes back to an infinite time in the past. If the root of causality is that space produces space, then the universe expands at a rate proportional to its size; it would expand at an exponential rate. And this means that you would have to have minus infinity to get zero space.

sol2 said:
Venn logic sometimes ties our hands, in the way we can look at the world because it is logical, but when it comes to seeing how energy could contain any particle, you have to wonder then about the nature of the universe and the reaity of energy, at it's very basis. How would you label this?
It is hoped that if the nature of the causality of space-time itself can be derived from logical considerations, then this would lead to a more fundamental definition of physical quantities such as matter and energy. Then we will have derived physics from logic, and we will know the righteousness of all things.

shadowman said:

No offense taken. However if we had conclusive proof of the exact nature of the universe, we'd have no need for discussion, now would we? :biggrin:
Many of us here have to base most or all of our theoretical physics knowledge upon what doctors like Michio Kaku or Brian Greene teach. We have to rely upon their ability to correctly note all recent/past scientific findings and trust that this information is being conveyed to us accurately.

What I really meant to say to Naveen was that I understood part of her statement (about not being able to imagine what was before the Big Bang). By claiming that time/space/matter/energy did not exist (in any form) before the bang occured, she was essentially implying that "nothingness" existed pre-bang.
So perhaps in the statements that followed that, she meant that we cannot imagine "nothingness" because we've never seen true nothingness; therefore, we tend to reject the idea that "nothing" could have existed pre-bang.

I try not to reject any hypothesis out of hand but there are practically an infinite number of possible scenarios that we can imagine pre-bang (as your post alluded to, Shadowman).
Because of that, the point I was trying to make is that she needs to follow through with her proposal (that nothingness might have existed before the Big Bang) by giving us something to grasp.
There's got to be some kind of an example given. Anything. Even a non-sensical, illogical description or rough analogy would do.
I personally believe "nothingness" is an impossibility- that it exists only as a concept and not as an actual entity but if someone is going to propose "nothingness" to me as one possible pre-bang scenario, I need some kind of foundation to start from if I'm going to contemplate how a void (a nothingness) might connect to or lead to the invisible, mysterious factors which culminated into the big bang.

Hope that was clearer than my previous post.

cozzmikjoker said:
What I really meant to say to Naveen was that I understood part of her statement (about not being able to imagine what was before the Big Bang). By claiming that time/space/matter/energy did not exist (in any form) before the bang occured, she was essentially implying that "nothingness" existed pre-bang..
Dont mind,if I clarify that I am a HE and not a SHE.
Yes ,you can call it 'nothingness' but this nothingness is not the same as vacuum because vacuum has the dimension of space included.
So,if you can get some idea about what I am saying then I ll be glad.
cozzmikjoker said:
So perhaps in the statements that followed that, she meant that we cannot imagine "nothingness" because we've never seen true nothingness; therefore, we tend to reject the idea that "nothing" could have existed pre-bang...
I beleive,that it is this "nothingness" ,from which the universe is created and it is this entity that is responsible for the creation of the universe.
I have some vague ideas also.If the symmetry is to be taken into consideration,I think,"nothingness" split itself into "universe" and
"anti-universe",their coming together cane give back "nothingness".
Its just a vague hypothesis,alright!
Comments invited.
cozzmikjoker said:
Hope that was clearer than my previous post.
That was much clearer,indeed!Thankyou.

I can't get away from the fundamental law that states that "energy can not be created or destroyed". And primarily because of this fact, there must have been some process of transformation.

Force5, you are correct to appeal to conservation of energy, but why do you think a "process of transformation" would help violate it? The energy going into such a process would have to equal the energy coming out.

The Ultimate Free Lunch hypothesis holds that the negative potential energy of the universe equals the positive kinetic energy, so there is zero energy to create. Then a quantum fluctuation in the virtual vacuum could start the ball rolling, and eventually the potential and kinetic energy would start to separate out, staying in balance.

selfAdjoint said:
Force5, you are correct to appeal to conservation of energy, but why do you think a "process of transformation" would help violate it? The energy going into such a process would have to equal the energy coming out.

The Ultimate Free Lunch hypothesis holds that the negative potential energy of the universe equals the positive kinetic energy, so there is zero energy to create. Then a quantum fluctuation in the virtual vacuum could start the ball rolling, and eventually the potential and kinetic energy would start to separate out, staying in balance.

This post raises the question not only for me, but in context of others as well.

This post was written in regards to what you are saying. Mike2 recently read Three Roads. If I'm not mistaken, you have just recently read this as well?

So having recounted the history here of previous discussions ( in supertstringtheory) how now do you see this response in terms of reason and logic?

Having understood the implications how shall we deal with this? Strings or LQG? Can we make this distinction?

Self, sorry, once again i did not express myself clearly.

I should have written my comments so as to state that;

In order to conserve energy, the energy had to transform its previous state to a state necessary to cause the beginning of the BB.

Again, thanks for making me think more about how I express myself.

naveen said:
I have some vague ideas also.If the symmetry is to be taken into consideration,I think,"nothingness" split itself into "universe" and
"anti-universe",their coming together cane give back "nothingness".
Its just a vague hypothesis,alright!
Comments invited.

So your saying that our universe is finite, because there is an "anti-universe" which cancels out our universe "giving back nothingness"? If nothingness existed pre-bang, then what would have caused it to split forming our universe and the "anti-universe"?

Calculli

I think Naveen means that 'nothingness' is simply a nodal point, as in two sinusoidal waves that are 180 degrees out of phase. One wave extends above the plane of symetry, the other extends below, when they meet again they form a node (null amplitude). Our universe extends upwards, the anti-universe downwards, if and when the two meet up again after the big crunch, they will form a singularity (nodal point).

Of course, as you intelligently suggested, this still does not describe what force(s) catalysted the deviation of both Universes from the nodal point in the first place. I am open to suggestions.

P.S. What does your name mean?

Tau_Muon_PlanetEater said:
I think Naveen means that 'nothingness' is simply a nodal point, as in two sinusoidal waves that are 180 degrees out of phase. One wave extends above the plane of symetry, the other extends below, when they meet again they form a node (null amplitude). Our universe extends upwards, the anti-universe downwards, if and when the two meet up again after the big crunch, they will form a singularity (nodal point).

Yes,this is exactly what I meant.
Come on guys,its been a year that somebody has posted in this string.
The discussion is of great importance and has to be rejuvenated.This gap of one year might have seen some kind of progress at the fron of the origin of the universe.

If anyone is aware of any updates then please post them.

Of course, as you intelligently suggested, this still does not describe what force(s) catalysted the deviation of both Universes from the nodal point in the first place. I am open to suggestions.

I am open to suggestions too.

P.S. What does your name mean?
Naveen ,in Sanskrit, means 'New' as well as 'wonderful'.

1. Why is it difficult to use logic and reason to trace back the origin of the universe?

The origin of the universe is a complex and abstract concept that is still not fully understood by scientists. It involves theories and hypotheses that are constantly evolving and being challenged, making it a difficult topic to approach with just logic and reason.

2. Can't we use logic and reason to understand the universe since it follows certain laws and principles?

While the universe may follow certain laws and principles, they are not always easy to comprehend or apply to the origin of the universe. Additionally, our understanding of these laws and principles is based on observations and experiments, which may not be applicable to the early stages of the universe.

3. Why can't we just use scientific methods to trace back the origin of the universe?

Scientific methods involve making observations and conducting experiments, but when it comes to the origin of the universe, these methods may not be feasible. The beginning of the universe is shrouded in mystery, and scientists may not have the necessary tools or technology to directly observe or experiment with it.

4. Is it possible that logic and reason are simply not enough to explain the origin of the universe?

It is possible that the origin of the universe is beyond our current understanding and capabilities. While logic and reason have helped us make significant progress in understanding the universe, there may be some questions that are simply beyond our grasp.

5. How can we make sense of the universe if we cannot use logic and reason to trace back its origins?

While logic and reason may not be enough to fully explain the origin of the universe, they are still valuable tools in helping us understand and make sense of the universe. By using a combination of scientific methods, philosophical thinking, and open-mindedness, we can continue to uncover the mysteries of the universe.