How Do I Solve These Torque Diagram Problems?

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems involving balancing forces and calculating supporting forces. The first problem involves a meterstick with a 90.0 g mass placed at the 82.0 cm mark and the second problem involves a 10,000 kg bridge with a 2000 kg car parked 3.0 m from the left support. The conversation provides a basic approach for solving both problems by applying the conditions for equilibrium and drawing diagrams to identify all the forces involved.
orgo
I'm stuck on these problems!

1. Suppose a 90.0-g mass is placed at the 82.0 cm mark of a 120.0 g uniform meterstick. At what mark will the meterstick balance?

For this problem, I did TCCW=TCW. I think the TCW is (90 g)*(9.8 m/s^2)*(32 cm). For TCCW, I am not sure because I do not know where the pivot point is.

2. A 10,000 kg bridge of length 10 m is supported at both ends. If a 2000-kg car is parked on the bridge 3.0 m from the left support, what are the supporting forces at the left and right ends?

I drew a diagram for this problem, but I do not know how to calculate the supporting forces.

Physics news on Phys.org
set up the momentum balance about the zero mark of the meterstick:
90*9.8*82+120*9.8*50-210*9.8*x=0
210 (=90+120)*9.8 being the reaction force at the pivotpoint
x = the distance of the pivot point from the zero mark
work out x and you have the answer for question 1.

bridge problem

orgo said:
2. A 10,000 kg bridge of length 10 m is supported at both ends. If a 2000-kg car is parked on the bridge 3.0 m from the left support, what are the supporting forces at the left and right ends?

I drew a diagram for this problem, but I do not know how to calculate the supporting forces.
Identify all the forces acting on the bridge: its weight, the weight of the car, the left supporting force, and the right supporting force. Draw these on your diagram.

Now apply the conditions for equilibrium:
(1) The forces must balance
(2) The torques about any point must balance

Give it a shot.

1. What is a torque diagram?

A torque diagram is a graphical representation of the forces acting on an object, typically a lever or a rotating body, that cause it to rotate about a fixed point or axis. It shows the magnitude and direction of the forces, as well as their relative positions on the object.

2. How do you calculate torque?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied. The formula for torque is: torque = force x distance.

3. What is the difference between clockwise and counterclockwise torque?

Clockwise torque refers to a force that causes an object to rotate in a clockwise direction, or in the same direction as the hands of a clock. Counterclockwise torque refers to a force that causes an object to rotate in the opposite direction, or counterclockwise.

4. How do you draw a torque diagram?

To draw a torque diagram, you first need to identify all the forces acting on the object and their directions. Then, draw a line representing the object and mark the pivot point. Next, draw arrows for each force, starting from the pivot point and pointing in the direction of the force. Finally, label each arrow with the magnitude of the force.

5. What are torque diagram problems used for?

Torque diagram problems are commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze and understand the forces acting on an object and predict how it will rotate. They are also useful in designing and optimizing mechanical systems, such as levers and gears.