Is objective view of things possible?

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of achieving true objectivity and whether it is attainable through effort, training, or the suppression of emotion. The concept of objectivity is also examined, with the idea that it is a human construct and therefore may be limited in its understanding of reality. The participants also explore the idea of intersubjectivity and how it relates to objectivity, ultimately concluding that true objectivity may be impossible for a subjective being to achieve.
quddusaliquddus
Is it possible to suspend our imposing our experiences on our view of the world?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, but it is possible to make the effort, and consider our own limitations in our ability to do so. Also, when those abilities are strained to the limit, and objectivity is desired, one should declare one's biases. I think that is the most you can ask.

What I wonder is, can you improve your objectivity? Can you do it through practice, or training?

Njorl

Njorl said:
No, but it is possible to make the effort, and consider our own limitations in our ability to do so. Also, when those abilities are strained to the limit, and objectivity is desired, one should declare one's biases. I think that is the most you can ask.

What I wonder is, can you improve your objectivity? Can you do it through practice, or training?

Njorl

What about the many a mystics that have claimed to have taken off their lense of subjectivity? What do you make of those?

quddusaliquddus said:
What about the many a mystics that have claimed to have taken off their lense of subjectivity? What do you make of those?

It is easier to convince yourself that you have attained objectivity than it is to be objective. While I can not get inside their heads, I would bet they have attained true self-deception rather than true enlightenment.

Njorl

Njorl said:
It is easier to convince yourself that you have attained objectivity than it is to be objective.
Njorl
That is certainly the truth.

Certainly true [like pulling urself up by the bootstraps]. You're dismissing the possibility?

quddusaliquddus said:
Certainly true [like pulling urself up by the bootstraps]. You're dismissing the possibility?

Well now, dismissing it would not be objective. I'm just highly skeptical. If nothing else, they would retain the built in subjective limitations of human flesh. They only sense that which their sensory organs allow them to sense. They only imagine what their brain can conceive. At best, they can claim to be as objective as humanly possible. Is that true objectivity?

Topical objectivity is a more believeable attainment, though I think it is certainly rare. To claim to be truly objective on whether it is right to eat meat, or to perform abortions, or to practice charity is difficult enough. To claim total objectivity is quite a claim indeed.

Njorl

Would the control/suppression/distruction of emotion (dnt ask how...hypothetically) lead to an objective person?

Sensory input can become skewed without the influence of emotion. Ridding oneself of emotion would certainly help with rational objectivity though. If all rational conclusions drawn were drawn based entirely on reason, and not on personal conviction or gut response, it would seem you have attained a rather impressive level of objectivity.

Then y did evolution not evolve those lines..well ... it did...but not completely

I'm not sure why you think objectivity would give a primative man-ape any reproductive edge over his fellows.

loseyourname said:
Sensory input can become skewed without the influence of emotion. Ridding oneself of emotion would certainly help with rational objectivity though. If all rational conclusions drawn were drawn based entirely on reason, and not on personal conviction or gut response, it would seem you have attained a rather impressive level of objectivity.

It also would seem you have attained the same impressive level of objectivity as that of a computer program. Except, perhaps, you would be more error-prone.

And sensor errors are annoying.

Last edited:
actually, i think the answer to this question has to be yes because what is "objective" is still a human concept. our concepts of subjective and objective still come from our own perspective of what they are. what IS and what we think IS can be completely different.

Eternal life is a human concept, but that doesn't mean that it's possible for a human to live forever. It's impossible for any being to be really objective in the pure way we sometimes imagine it. Intersubjectivity is a good approximation to objectivity, perhaps, but I think the definition of the term ensures that subjective beings will only ever get an approximation of it.

while i can understand your viewpoint hyp, the human concept of objectivity is meant to describe a reality outside of ourselves. we are assuming that reality/objectivity is separate from us wholly. but perhaps we are a part of reality more then we believe :) while our emotions can be tainted with bias (defined as subjective), we can still be unemotional about situations, thus objective (my opinion)

Last edited:
Kerrie said:
while i can understand your viewpoint hyp, the human concept of objectivity is meant to describe a reality outside of ourselves. we are assuming that reality/objectivity is separate from us wholly. but perhaps we are a part of reality more then we believe :) while our emotions can be tainted with bias (defined as subjective), we can still be unemotional about situations, thus objective (my opinion)

A common usage of the word objective roughly means 'unbiased,' as in an objective judge. I think we're talking here about a more existential kind of objectivity, or at least I've taken it that way. To be truly objective in this way would mean to have some kind of contact with / knowledge of reality that is not idiosynchratic to the subject in question. (Note that emotion is not the only subjective idiosynchracy involved in perceiving reality.) So while I might be able to (say) judge the merit of a painting in an unemotional / unbiased / whatever manner, the metaphysical nature of my viewpoint would still be subjective: I would still be viewing it through the rubric of my particular consciousness, seeing it in my particular subjectively experienced colors and shapes and so on.

(It's easy to assume that the way I see the painting is just the way it is, but this isn't so-- if I had synaesthesia I would experience the painting radically differently, not to mention more mundane (and subtle!) differences in ways I could experience the painting owing to too much coffee, or not enough sleep, etc.)

quddusaliquddus said:
Is it possible to suspend our imposing our experiences on our view of the world?

well, that is a mult-faceted question, and some would say or suggest that there is a state of clarity of mind where this is found. you can find it when you can distinguish between your subjective experience with the objective environment outside of you.

for example, take colors, you may see a different blue than me, and maybe I like blue and blue bores you, but inside of these subjective points of view there exists naturally the objective we can both see and that is we both agree we are referring to the color blue.

objectivity/subjectivty are distinquishable but inseperable. when you can distinquish them, you can only do so where they both meet and blend, which is mystery, or, yourself...

hypnagogue said:
(It's easy to assume that the way I see the painting is just the way it is, but this isn't so-- if I had synaesthesia I would experience the painting radically differently, not to mention more mundane (and subtle!) differences in ways I could experience the painting owing to too much coffee, or not enough sleep, etc.)

yes, but no matter what, we all agree that you are referring to a 'painting'. that is the objective co-ordinate

objectivity is one for all, and can be found in all discussion and exchange of idea...

1. Is it possible for a person to have an entirely objective view of things?

It is a widely debated topic in the scientific community whether a completely objective view of things is possible for a person. Some argue that our personal experiences and biases make it impossible for us to view things without any subjectivity. However, others believe that with proper training and critical thinking skills, one can strive towards objectivity.

2. How does objectivity differ from subjectivity?

Objectivity refers to viewing things without any personal biases or emotions, while subjectivity involves personal opinions and feelings. Objectivity is based on facts and evidence, while subjectivity is based on personal interpretations and perspectives.

3. Can scientific research be completely objective?

While scientists strive towards objectivity in their research, it is not always possible to eliminate all biases and personal opinions. However, the scientific method is designed to minimize subjectivity and produce reliable and repeatable results.

4. Is there such a thing as a completely unbiased experiment?

It is difficult to say if a completely unbiased experiment is possible. In most cases, scientists try to control for any external factors that may influence the results, but there is always a possibility of unknown or uncontrolled variables affecting the outcome. However, through peer review and replication of experiments, the scientific community works towards reducing any biases or errors in research.

5. How can one strive towards objectivity in their thinking?

To strive towards objectivity, one can actively seek out and consider different perspectives and evidence, critically analyze information, and acknowledge and challenge their own biases. It is also important to approach topics with an open mind and be willing to change one's viewpoint based on new evidence.