Look forward to a darker world: 'Global dimming'

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: Since the late 1950s, scientists have observed a 2-4% reduction in the amount of solar radiation reaching the Earth's surface, as well as an increase in high cirrus clouds generated by aircraft contrails. They have hypothesized that this may be due to the fact that adding aluminum oxide to jet fuel could reduce the incident solar radiation globally. I doubt that this has had two or four times the influence by chance.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It's official: the world is getting darker. Scientists are now agreed that as cloud cover and particles in the atmosphere increase, the amount of radiation reaching us from the Sun is falling. And while some are nervous to raise the idea, they think the effect may help protect us from global warming. [continued]

http://www.nature.com/nsu/040517/040517-7.html

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Since the late 1950s, scientists have observed a 2-4% reduction in the amount of solar radiation reaching the Earth's surface,

Since the late 1950s, I have observed a 2-4% increase in the amount of high cirrus type clouds generated by aircraft contrails.

U have observed? U do this for a living? For 54 years??

Hold it, the late fifties is not 54 years ago. And yes, I certainly did some observing back then but out of curiosity like all kids.

fine 45-55 years. Still, you observed specifically that a 2-4% increas in clouds would result from airplane fumes. I wonder how you did it.

protect us from global warming? i don't think so. it may weaken the monsoon over the subcontinent and decrease our agricultural yield substantially. that is bad news for my country.

It may but then again it may increase it strenght. Nobody can foresee how these chaotic processes work. So don't trust anybody who says: there will be global warming so the monsoons get weaker and dryer. But if you support our treaty and pay, everything will be fine again.

Andre said:
Since the late 1950s, I have observed a 2-4% increase in the amount of high cirrus type clouds generated by aircraft contrails.

IIRC, there is a study or paper that shows that if we added an aluminum oxide to jet fuel, we could reduce the incident solar radiation globally by about 1%. Given that this involves a direct effort to reduce the incoming energy, I doubt that we have had two or four times the influence by chance.

I think I have the patent linked in biology...I will try to find.

1. What is global dimming?

Global dimming refers to the decrease in the amount of sunlight reaching the Earth's surface, caused by the presence of aerosol particles in the atmosphere that reflect and absorb light.

2. Why is global dimming concerning?

Global dimming can have negative impacts on human health, agriculture, and the environment. It can also affect the Earth's climate by altering the amount of solar radiation reaching the surface and potentially disrupting the water cycle.

3. How is global dimming measured?

Global dimming is measured using instruments such as pyranometers, which measure the amount of solar radiation reaching the Earth's surface, and sun photometers, which measure the amount of sunlight scattered by aerosol particles in the atmosphere.

4. What are the main sources of aerosol particles causing global dimming?

The main sources of aerosol particles causing global dimming include human activities such as burning fossil fuels, biomass burning, and industrial processes. Natural sources like volcanic eruptions and dust storms also contribute to global dimming.

5. Can global dimming be reversed?

Global dimming can be reversed by reducing the emissions of aerosol particles into the atmosphere. However, this can also lead to an increase in global warming as the aerosols also have a cooling effect on the climate. Therefore, it is important to find a balance between reducing global dimming and mitigating the effects of global warming.