Exploring String Theory: A Beginner's Guide

• Thread starter Feynmanfan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of the superstring theory and suggests Brian Greene's book as a valuable resource to learn more about it. The book is said to be more detailed and advanced than the TV series, and it is recommended for first year physics students. The conversation also mentions a new book by Brian Greene called "The Fabric of The Cosmos" and a lecture on string theory that will be given in England.
Feynmanfan
Hi there!

I've just finished watching the NOVA's Elegant Universe in Spanish. I've never heard of this superstring, brane, M theory but I find it fascinating.

My question is, where can I learn more about this? Is it worth buying Brian Greene's book? What do you suggest to this first year physics student?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I heard the book is much better than the TV series. The book is supposed to be more detailed and less repetitive.

From the book you can learn much more than from the movie!
The book is far more detailed and precise.
Some of the stuff in the book is very advanced:
you'll not be learning it in college;
or at least not before your third or fourth year and maybe not even then :smile:

And when you've finished it you can start Brian's new one:
The Fabric of The Cosmos.

sweet! I didn't know he had a new book.
I'll be getting that

Hello everyone by the way

Yes, both are good sources, I am giving a lecture on String theory and other possible theroies that could lead to the devlopment of TOE in England this summer. It should be interesting.

What is "Greene's Elegant Universe" about?

"Greene's Elegant Universe" is a book written by physicist Brian Greene that explores the concept of string theory and its potential to unify the laws of physics.

What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that suggests that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles, but tiny one-dimensional strings that vibrate at different frequencies.

Why is "Greene's Elegant Universe" considered a groundbreaking book?

"Greene's Elegant Universe" is considered groundbreaking because it presents the complex concept of string theory in a way that is accessible to non-scientists, making it a popular introduction to the subject for a wider audience.

How does "Greene's Elegant Universe" challenge traditional theories of physics?

"Greene's Elegant Universe" challenges traditional theories of physics by proposing that the universe is not made up of discrete particles, but rather a continuous web of vibrating strings. This challenges the long-standing idea of the smallest building blocks of the universe being point-like particles.

What are some potential implications of string theory?

Some potential implications of string theory include the possibility of a unified theory of all physical phenomena, the existence of multiple dimensions beyond the four we experience, and the potential for time travel and alternate universes.