Why do cats have a secondary membrane in their eyes?

In summary, some animals, including cats, have a third eyelid called a nictating membrane. This membrane is thought to protect the eye while swimming and may still be present in humans as a vestigial structure. More information can be found on Wikipedia.
The Grimmus
I have noticed while looking at my cat that there is a secondary membrane (first beign the mucus membrane covering his eye it is a little har do expsplain so if you have a cat pick it up and look at it's eye you will notice a white area beteen his outside eye and the side of it's nose. It it will become more apprant when the cat is at rest where it will unfold from the corner and cover most of the cat's eye. My question is why dose a cat have it i can see when my cat is sleeping his eyes are closed so what makes a membrane of this nature exist.

Biology news on Phys.org
I'm no expert, but I believe it is called a nictating membrane. Many animals have them. Even humans have the vestige of one.

I don't know what the third eyelid is for. I've seen some suggestions in relation to amphibians that it protects the eye whilst swimming whilst still being semi transparent.

Slightly more information is available here;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nictating_membrane

The secondary membrane, also known as the nictitating membrane, is a thin, translucent layer of tissue that covers the inner corner of a cat's eye. It is a natural part of a cat's anatomy and is present in many other animals, such as birds and reptiles.

The purpose of this membrane is to protect the eye from potential harm, such as dust or debris, while still allowing the cat to see. It also helps to keep the eye moist and clean by spreading tears over the surface of the eye.

In cats, the secondary membrane is controlled by a small muscle that allows it to move quickly over the eye when needed. This is why you may see it unfold from the inner corner of the eye when your cat is at rest or sleeping. It is a reflexive action that helps to protect the eye while the cat is in a vulnerable state.

Overall, the secondary membrane is a natural and important part of a cat's eye anatomy. It serves as a protective barrier and helps to maintain the health and function of the eye. So, the next time you see your cat's secondary membrane in action, know that it is just another amazing adaptation that helps keep your feline friend safe and healthy.

1. What is the purpose of a cat's eye secondary membrane?

The secondary membrane, also known as the tapetum lucidum, is responsible for reflecting light back through the retina to improve the cat's night vision.

2. Can all cats see in the dark due to their secondary membrane?

No, not all cats have a secondary membrane. It is most commonly found in nocturnal and crepuscular animals such as cats, dogs, and other mammals.

3. Is the color of a cat's eye secondary membrane important?

Yes, the color of the secondary membrane can vary between different species and can also affect the cat's vision. For example, cats with green eyes have a higher concentration of the pigment zinc than cats with blue eyes, which can improve their vision in low light conditions.

4. Can the secondary membrane be damaged or affected by disease?

Yes, the secondary membrane can be affected by certain diseases such as retinal degeneration or glaucoma, which can lead to a decrease in night vision and other visual impairments for the cat.

5. How does the secondary membrane benefit cats in their natural environment?

The secondary membrane allows cats to see better in low light conditions, making them more efficient hunters at night. It also gives them a wider field of vision, allowing them to detect motion and potential prey more easily.