Does Environmental Conservation go against evolution?

In summary: But we can't rely on the fact that evolution will take care of it. We need to be more proactive in preserving it.
quddusaliquddus
Jus a thought.

Biology news on Phys.org
What on Earth is "Environmental Conservation"? I know conservation of energy and momentum and angular momentum (no one of which contradicts evolution), but conservation of environment? It doesn't happen. See all the current stories about loss of habitat, or think what the Chixalub comet did to the environments of the time.

Erm...I must have made that sentence up or sumfin ... embaressing ... anyway - what I meant was people trying to preserve the environment e.g. rare this or that insect or grass that'll go extinct ...

OK, then I understand. The environment of evolving creatures can always vary from all sorts of causes, ice ages, droughts, comets, etc. Humans are only another variety of change. Animals and plants will evolve according to whatever is out there, whether it is suburbs rolling over habitats or dogooders preserving some patch of forest. It takes a number of generations for evolution to show up but show up it will in the fullness of time.

If the world was to change e.g. via gloabal warming, and certain insects are not be able to live ... then should we preserve them? Wouldn't it betta to let them fight it out so that the fittest amongst them survive?

Last edited:
There is no better or worse in evolution, only outcomes. Human beings and human societies have moral preferences, but from the point of view of evolution these are no more moral than a comet strike. Que sera sera.

"Que sera sera": is that latin? What does it mean? ... I am a little rusty on my latin - never got around to learnign u c
;D

Que sera sera is french meaning What will be, will be

Oh!...that song...lol...now i remeber...i guess i Expected it to be latin

One way to look at it is that humans are just another factor in natural selection. Our challange, being an imperfect & volitional factor of natural selection, will be to keep the ecosystem working for us instead of against us...whether that is aesthetics or life and death. Obviously, our mucking about is bringing down a large number of species, but that is not the first time in the history of the world a massive die-off has happened. (Not that I don't care...I do care because I believe it to be immoral and because, in a practical/selfish sense, it weakens the ecoystem we rely on for a happy life.) Anyway, the evolutionary history that is unfolding is certainly different than it would be if we weren't here.

The thing with saving endangered species is that we know the current ecosystem is beneficial to us...so it makes sense to preserve it.

1. Does environmental conservation go against the idea of natural selection?

No, environmental conservation and natural selection are not mutually exclusive concepts. Natural selection is a fundamental principle of evolution, which states that organisms with favorable traits are more likely to survive and pass on their genes to the next generation. Environmental conservation aims to preserve and protect natural habitats and ecosystems, which in turn allows for the maintenance of biodiversity and the continuation of natural selection.

2. Can humans interfere with evolution through conservation efforts?

Yes, humans can impact evolution through conservation efforts. By protecting certain species or habitats, we can influence which organisms are able to thrive and pass on their genes. However, this does not necessarily go against the natural process of evolution; human intervention has been a factor in evolution for centuries, and conservation efforts can help to mitigate the negative effects of human activities on natural selection.

3. Is conservation only beneficial for endangered species?

No, conservation efforts can benefit all species, not just those that are endangered. By preserving and protecting habitats, we can ensure the survival of a diverse range of organisms and contribute to the overall health of ecosystems. Additionally, conservation efforts can help to prevent species from becoming endangered in the first place.

4. Does conservation favor certain species over others?

Conservation efforts do not necessarily favor one species over another. The goal of conservation is to protect and preserve biodiversity, which includes a wide range of species. However, in some cases, certain species may receive more attention and resources due to their endangered status or their importance to the overall ecosystem.

5. Can conservation efforts lead to the evolution of new species?

Yes, conservation efforts can contribute to the evolution of new species. By preserving and protecting habitats, we can create isolated environments that allow for natural selection to occur, leading to the divergence and speciation of different populations. Additionally, conservation efforts can also help to reintroduce certain species into their native habitats, which can contribute to the restoration of lost biodiversity.