Differentiating ln x from first principles

So when you wrote (x+h)/x you meant x/x+ h/x. But x/x= 1 so (x+h)/x= 1+ h/x. OKAY!In summary, the conversation involves a request for help with a calculus problem involving natural logarithms and the first principles definition of the Euler number. Two valid methods are provided, but the instructor may want another method that incorporates the definition of the Euler number. The conversation also includes a clarification about the use of logarithm laws and a discussion about the derivative of e^x.
Imperial
Hi all.

For any of you who have done differential calculus, I need a little help with a problem involving natural logarithms.

The question asks to differentiate y = ln x from first principles . It says "use the definition of the Euler number, namely e = lim(n->inf.) (1+1/n)^n.".
First principles means f'(x) = lim(h->0) [f(x+h) - f(x)] / h (this is the first thing we learned in calculus).

I so far managed two different methods:
Method 1. y = ln x
therefore e^y = x
dx/dy = e^y.
Since dx/dy * dy/dx = 1
1/(dx/dy) = dy/dx.
= 1/e^y
= 1/x.

Method 2. y = ln x
f(x) = ln x
f(x+h) = ln (x+h)
f'(x) = lim(h->0) [ln (x+h) - ln x] / h
= lim(h->0) ln (x+h/x) / h
= lim(h->0) 1/h * ln(1+h/x)
Since lim(h->0) ln(1+h/x) -> h/x where h != 0,
f'(x) = 1/h * h/x
= 1/x

Both of these methods work and are valid, although I didn't bring the definition of the Euler number into it. I personally have no idea how to do this. Could anyone here who has done a bit of math before please help me with this?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Would you mind telling me how you arrive at
= lim(h->0) ln (x+h/x) / h
= lim(h->0) 1/h * ln(1+h/x)
?
What happened to the first x?

Not to mention:
Since lim(h->0) ln(1+h/x) -> h/x where h != 0
Surely you know that lim(h->0) does NOT depend on h!

Probably what your instructor intends is to use your first calculation: if y= ln(x) then x= e^y . HOWEVER, you cannot assume that the derivative of e^x is e^x: that's where "first principles" comes in.

If y(x)= e^x, then y(x+ h)= e^(x+h) so (y(x+h)- y(x))/h=
(e^(x+h)-e^x)/h= (e^x e^h- e^x)/h= (e^x)((e^h-1)/h).

The derivative of e^x is (lim(h->0)(e^h-1)/h) e^x.

You need to show "from first principles" that

lim(h->0) (e^h-1)/h = 1.

The first "x" wasn't lost- remember the logarithm laws:
ln a - ln b = ln(a/b) so my expression ln(x+h) - ln(x) became ln(x+h/x).

As for differentiating e^x, that is easy.
f(x) = e^x
f(x+h) = e^(x+h)
f'(x) = lim(h->0) e^(x+h) - e^(x) / h
= lim(h->0) e^x(e^h - 1) / h
= e^x lim(h->0) e^h - 1 /h
The definition of the Euler number is lim(n->inf.) (1+1/n)^n which can become lim(h->0) (1+h)^1/h.
therefore
f'(x) = e^x lim(h->0) (1+h)^1/h^h - 1 / h
= e^x lim(h->0) 1 + h - 1 /h
= e^x lim(h->0)h/h
= e^x

Although that doesn't really come into it. A previous question in the excercise asked that, and I think that there is probably some other method which needs to be used. Is anyone here familiar with any other methods?

Oh, I see now: when you wrote ln(x+h/x) you MEANT ln((x+h)/x)
(although when you wrote ln(1+ h/x) you DIDN'T mean ln((1+h)/x).)

What is Differentiating \( \ln(x) \) from First Principles?

Differentiating \( \ln(x) \) from first principles is a mathematical method used to find the derivative of the natural logarithm function \( \ln(x) \) by directly applying the definition of a derivative. It involves computing the limit of the difference quotient as it approaches zero.

What is the Definition of a Derivative?

The derivative of a function \( f(x) \) at a specific point \( x = a \) is defined as:

\[ f'(a) = \lim_{{h \to 0}} \frac{f(a + h) - f(a)}{h} \]

This definition represents the rate of change of the function \( f(x) \) at the point \( x = a \) and is the basis for calculating derivatives.

How Do You Differentiate \( \ln(x) \) from First Principles?

To differentiate \( \ln(x) \) from first principles, you start with the definition of the derivative:

\[ \ln'(x) = \lim_{{h \to 0}} \frac{\ln(x + h) - \ln(x)}{h} \]

Then, you simplify and manipulate the expression using properties of logarithms and the limit definition to calculate the derivative.

What is the Result of Differentiating \( \ln(x) \) from First Principles?

When you differentiate \( \ln(x) \) from first principles, you obtain the derivative, which is:

\[ \ln'(x) = \frac{1}{x} \]

This means that the derivative of \( \ln(x) \) with respect to \( x \) is \( \frac{1}{x} \).

Why is Differentiating \( \ln(x) \) Important?

Differentiating \( \ln(x) \) is important in calculus and various mathematical and scientific fields. It provides a fundamental understanding of logarithmic functions and their rate of change. This knowledge is valuable for solving problems in calculus, physics, engineering, and more.

Are There Applications of Differentiating \( \ln(x) \)?

Yes, differentiating \( \ln(x) \) has applications in fields such as calculus, economics, physics, and engineering. It is used to analyze exponential growth and decay, solve differential equations, model natural processes, and optimize functions in various real-world scenarios.

Where Can I Find More Resources on Differentiating \( \ln(x) \) from First Principles?

You can find more resources, including textbooks, online tutorials, and educational websites, that explain the process of differentiating \( \ln(x) \) from first principles. These resources provide step-by-step examples and practice problems to help you master this calculus technique.