Did McCain indicate he was leaving the Republican party?

• News
  • Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
In summary, during a segment on Special Report with Brit Hume, three individuals discussed rumors that Senator McCain may be leaving the Republican party. They speculated that he may be trying to secure a position as Secretary of Defense under John Kerry's administration, and referenced McCain's previous statement about not standing with Kerry but remaining open to taking his phone calls. Despite this, McCain has categorically denied any plans to leave the Republican party.
wasteofo2
I was channel surfing and came upon Special Report with Brit Hume, and it was the segment where he talks to 3 other guys about random stuff. I turned it on partially into it, and missed whatever quote/action etc. had spurred the discussion on, but the people were talking like McCain had indicated he was going to leave the Republican party or already had. Stuff like "I think he's trying to leave his options open and secure the position as Secretary of Defense with John Kerry," and, "No one has ever left their party saying that they had left the party, but always that the party had left them" and it was then indicated that was what McCain did.

So were these guys just talking about some sort of unsupported rumor, did I misunderstand what they were talking about completely, or did McCain indicate he's leaving the Republicans?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. http://www.boston.com/news/politics...erry_mccain_ticket_touted_as_way_to_unite_us/

McCain, of Arizona, ''categorically" ruled out standing with Kerry, but Biden, the top Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said he had no second choice.

''I'm sticking with McCain," Biden said.

''I think John McCain would be a great candidate for vice president," Biden, from Delaware, said on NBC's ''Meet the Press," where the two senators appeared together to take questions on Iraq and other subjects.

2. ''I will always take anyone's phone calls," McCain said of any call he might get from Kerry, a fellow decorated Vietnam War veteran. ''But I will not, I categorically will not do it."

Yeah, I know he's been saying he won't take part in Kerry's administration, but that doesn't mean he didn't say something about disliking the republican party...

1. Did McCain actually say he was leaving the Republican party?

Yes, Senator John McCain announced his departure from the Republican party in a statement on Twitter on April 24th, 2018.

2. What prompted McCain to leave the Republican party?

In his statement, McCain cited the current state of politics and the direction of the party as reasons for his departure. He also expressed concern over the party's stance on certain policies and issues.

3. What implications does McCain's departure have for the Republican party?

McCain's departure may have significant implications for the Republican party, as he has been a prominent figure in the party for many years. It may also indicate a growing divide within the party and potentially impact future elections.

4. Is McCain joining a different political party?

No, McCain did not mention joining a different political party in his statement. It appears that he will continue to serve as an independent senator.

5. How have other Republicans responded to McCain's departure?

Other Republicans have had mixed reactions to McCain's departure. Some have expressed disappointment and sadness, while others have criticized his decision. Ultimately, it remains to be seen how the party as a whole will respond to this news.