Do You Believe in Fate? | Learn What Randomness Means

• Thread starter The Grimmus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of fate and whether or not it exists. Some believe in fate due to divine intervention, while others believe it is a result of random chance or predetermined events. The conversation also touches on the idea of hidden variables and the role of free will in shaping potential futures. Ultimately, there is no clear consensus on the existence of fate, with some believing in its inevitability while others see it as a subjective interpretation of events.

Fate?

• Yea... because of divine intervention

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • NO

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Yea... because of mathmatics

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
The Grimmus
Do you believe in fate?

I do but not becuase of some divine being, becuase randome can't really exist we have just not gatherd all the information to find out what will happen tommrow

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Once, I thought option 3, but I don't know anymore...

The truth is, a lot of physical processes do turn out to be apparently completely random. For example, nuclear decay - we can work out a formula for how likely it is to decay, and an overall statistical method for it's overall variation, but we can't say WHY a particular atom decays at a particular time. It seems to throw causality out the window.

There are as always, two solutions... (as far as I can tell)

1. There are hidden variables which determine the apparent random behaviour, and the randomness is due to the failure of our instruments to find the real causes. When we have the ToE, we can put them all in a deterministic framework.
2. The thing we observe as cause and effect are just an overview of the acausal quantum reality. The randomness cancels out at larger scales to form apparent order out of chaos. The universe is fundamentally not determinist - it just seems to be as a matter of generalisation. Our brains, acting in between the two worlds hence have an element of freedom.

Any predetermined thing should be able to be described by (a complicated) mathematical 'thing'

I voted no, but it depends a little on how you define fate. If fate is just random chance, then fate exists. However, I would define fate as a predetermined future - which excludes random chance (unless of course the random chance happens BEFORE the event it affects. Tough issue in any case.

in every moment lies great opportunity...

i'm sort of bringing stuff over from the creation and evolution thread, but it seems that if one believes god created man in his image, with the intent for us to turn out just as we have, then fate is innevitable.

Originally posted by FZ+
Once, I thought option 3, but I don't know anymore...

The truth is, a lot of physical processes do turn out to be apparently completely random. For example, nuclear decay - we can work out a formula for how likely it is to decay, and an overall statistical method for it's overall variation, but we can't say WHY a particular atom decays at a particular time. It seems to throw causality out the window.

There are as always, two solutions... (as far as I can tell)

1. There are hidden variables which determine the apparent random behaviour, and the randomness is due to the failure of our instruments to find the real causes. When we have the ToE, we can put them all in a deterministic framework.
2. The thing we observe as cause and effect are just an overview of the acausal quantum reality. The randomness cancels out at larger scales to form apparent order out of chaos. The universe is fundamentally not determinist - it just seems to be as a matter of generalisation. Our brains, acting in between the two worlds hence have an element of freedom.

yea we would need all of the knowledg in the univers(es) - the futre and well frankly better thought procceses than we have now to predetermine eveyrthing. If we can figure out that due to the corse of some atomispheric gases would change the air pressure then we could figure out who would be affected and inturn figure out how tha would affect the thought proccese. then ofocurse consider absolutly every thing in the univers(es) to figurese out what will happen

Do I believe in fate? Well, in order to answer this question we must meet a mutual agreement as to what fate is. A dictionary definition says that it is a force or power that predetermines events or the inevitable events predestined by this force. Also it is a final result or consequence; an outcome or unfavorable destiny; doom.
Personally I always thought dictionary definitions were always a complicated way of saying what something is, especially when looking at things which are much harder for us to understand.
I believe in a lot of things and I don't always understand what I believe but I do know that there is a reason to everything. There is so much knowledge out there for us to learn but I can't accept that we find this knowledge only to die. I don't understand what mathematics has to do with fate, and I guess I'm with the majority in saying that I believe in fate due to a divine intervention. This is because it makes life worthwhile and makes the whole world seem so much easier. Mathmatics can't tell you what you're having for tea.

i'm not permitted to vote so i will say, NO. we can make calculations as to the most probable of all probable futures i will experience, BUT it will never be 100%.

freewill will allow us to change the direction of any/all probablity threads of experience.

loveNpeace,
olde drunk

FoxNax: You believe something because it makes the world seem nice? Don't we usually form beliefs because of evidence pointing toward the truth of some proposition? I mean, it would be nice if every woman I came across wanted badly to get into my pants, but I don't believe that's the case.

No, I believe that most people look at the bad side to things and it makes the world seem like a horrible place when it's not all that bad. There are plenty of beautiful things that make the world seem nice and is it so bad to believe that they are due to some divine power?

Not bad, just unsubstantiated. Besides, I fail to see how that is a more positive outlook than one which sees beauty, but only as the result of nature.

"nature is not programmed but is triggered by what you have done in the past. that is why for every action there is a reaction"

-----------I found this somewhere and thought what ur comments are---------------

I've just thought but technically, there is no right or wrong answer to this question. There are only different views. Different people see things differently and therefore interpret them differently so all our thoughts could be correct. It's like the three blind men trying to see what an elephant is like. None can see the bigger picture and all three find different parts of the elephant to touch so, what all three feel and describe is correct, even though none of their descriptions are the same.

1. What is fate and how is it related to randomness?

Fate is the belief that events are predetermined and inevitable, while randomness is the concept of unpredictable and uncontrolled events. Some people believe that fate controls all random occurrences, while others believe that randomness is just a natural part of the universe.

2. Is there scientific evidence for the existence of fate?

There is no scientific evidence that supports the existence of fate. The concept of fate is based on beliefs and personal interpretations, rather than empirical evidence.

3. Can randomness be explained by science?

Yes, randomness can be explained by science through the study of probability and statistics. While some events may seem unpredictable, they can often be explained by mathematical laws and patterns.

4. How does belief in fate affect decision-making?

Believing in fate can lead people to feel like they have no control over their lives and that their actions do not matter. This can result in a lack of motivation and effort in decision-making. However, some people may find comfort in the idea of fate and use it to guide their decisions.

5. Can fate and free will coexist?

The concept of fate and free will is a complex philosophical debate. Some argue that if fate exists, then free will cannot, as our actions are predetermined. However, others believe that while fate may influence our lives, we still have the ability to make choices and impact our own destiny.