Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Problem of the Week #363 - April 6, 2021

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Let $\Bbb F$ be a field. Prove that there is a unique linear functional $T : M_n(\Bbb F) \to \Bbb F$ such that

1. $T(I_n) = n$
2. $T(XY) = T(YX)$ for all $X, Y\in M_n(\Bbb F)$

What is the name for $T$?
-----

Remember to read the POTW submission guidelines to find out how to submit your answers!

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
No one answered this week's problem. You can read my solution below.

Let $T$ be a linear functional on $M_n(\Bbb F)$ satisfying properties $1$ and $2$. For each $I,j\in \{1,2,\ldots, n\}$, let $E_{ij}$ be the $n\times n$ matrix whose $(I,j)$-entry is $1$ and every other entry is zero. Since $E_{ab}E_{cd} = \delta_{bc}E_{ad}$, property 2 and linearity give $\delta_{bc}T(E_{ad}) = \delta_{da} T(E_{cb})$. It follows that $T(E_{ad}) = 0$ whenever $a \neq d$, and $T(E_{aa}) = T(E_{bb})$. Since $T(I_n) = n$, then $n T(E_{11}) = T(E_{11}) + T(E_{22}) + \cdots + T(E_{nn}) = T(I_n) = n$, so that $T(E_{11}) = 1$.

An arbitrary $X\in M_n(\Bbb F)$ admits an expression $X = \sum_{i,j} x_{ij} E_{ij}$ where $x_{ij}\in \Bbb R$. Linearity of $T$ and the latter observations yield $$T(X) = \sum_{i,j} x_{ij}T(E_{ij}) = \sum_i x_{ii} T(E_{ii}) = T(E_{11})\sum_i x_{ii} = T(E_{11}) \operatorname{trace}(X) = \operatorname{trace}(X)$$

Thus $T$ is the trace map, which is uniquely determined.