Seagate vs Maxtor: A Comparison of Speed and Noise in 7200 RPM Hard Drives

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary: There are many different levels of RAID and it's important to choose the right level for your needs.In summary, the benchmark shows that seagate is faster than maxtor, and i can hear that maxtor is noisier than seagate, seagate is quiet.Therefore, buy seagate!
Saint
I have a Seagate Barracuda 60GB and a Maxtor Diamond 40 GB, both are 7200 rpm,

the benchmark shows that seagate is faster than maxtor,
and i can hear that maxtor is noisier than seagate, seagate is quiet.

therefore, buy seagate!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Yeah, of the major brands, Maxtor generally makes the lowest-quality -- and cheapest! -- drives.

One thing to remember: since both disks are rotating at the same rate and the seagate has 50% higher data density data moves past the read/write heads 50% faster so its going to transfer data as much as 50% faster (sustained).

I've owned a couple of Maxtors and they really aren't bad. Right now I am using Western Digital because of their 8mb cache drives.

And didn't WD or someone buy Maxtor recently?

I've owned a couple of Maxtors and they really aren't bad. Right now I am using Western Digital because of their 8mb cache drives.
Me too, I have the 80Gig model. I purchased a 160Gig Maxtor with 8MB cache a couple of weeks ago but it hasn't had time to arrive by mail yet.
I've not really had too many problems with hard drives. Sadly one exception is my WD 20Gig that started out whisper quiet and now has become obnoxiously loud in the 'whining' department. I saw once an enclosure you could put around a hard drive to quite it down but I don't know how the heat gets dissipated in such a unit.

In Malaysia, for the same capacity, WD costs about 20 ringgit more than Seagate or Maxtor.

However, Maxtor is the most popular HDD here,
and they are made in China.

Originally posted by Saint
In Malaysia, for the same capacity, WD costs about 20 ringgit more than Seagate or Maxtor.

However, Maxtor is the most popular HDD here,
and they are made in China.
How many sea shells could I purchase with 20 ringgit?

Originally posted by damgo
Yeah, of the major brands, Maxtor generally makes the lowest-quality -- and cheapest! -- drives.

::looks at stack of broken maxtor drives unlovingly::

I'm relly gun-shy regarding WD drives, but we bought a couple of 80gb/8MB cache drives solely for the 3-year warranty.

I'm also trying a software raid5 array on four samsung 80gb drives. They were low-priced but also have a three year warranty.

As for Maxtor - I'm still using three 60gb drives in a raid5 array that's been up and running continously since January of last year. Three months past the warrnaty and they still work!

What is RAID ?

Originally posted by Saint
What is RAID ?

There's software RAID - explained here. This is written for use with Linux, however it does a great job explaining RAID.

For hardware RAID you should probably look at a manufacturer's site such as 3ware.com or adaptec.com.

1. How do Seagate and Maxtor 7200 RPM hard drives compare in terms of speed?

Both Seagate and Maxtor 7200 RPM hard drives are considered high-speed drives, but Seagate tends to have a slight edge in terms of overall performance. This is because Seagate typically uses larger cache sizes and more advanced technology in their drives, allowing for faster data transfer speeds.

2. Which brand is quieter, Seagate or Maxtor?

In general, Seagate hard drives tend to be quieter than Maxtor drives. This is due to Seagate's use of fluid dynamic bearings, which reduce noise and vibration compared to the ball bearings used in Maxtor drives.

3. Are Seagate or Maxtor hard drives more reliable?

Both Seagate and Maxtor have a good reputation for reliability, but Seagate is known for having a slightly lower failure rate. This is due to Seagate's rigorous testing and quality control processes, as well as their use of innovative technology in their drives.

4. Are there any notable differences in the warranty offered by Seagate and Maxtor?

Both Seagate and Maxtor offer similar warranties for their 7200 RPM hard drives, typically ranging from 2-5 years depending on the specific model. However, Seagate does offer some specialized models with longer warranties, such as their IronWolf Pro drives with a 5-year warranty.

5. Is there a significant price difference between Seagate and Maxtor 7200 RPM hard drives?

Pricing for Seagate and Maxtor 7200 RPM hard drives is usually comparable, with Seagate drives sometimes being slightly more expensive. However, this can vary depending on the specific model and any current sales or promotions. Ultimately, the price difference between the two brands is not significant enough to be a deciding factor for most consumers.