Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Problem Of The Week # 352 - Jul 23, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Suppose $X$ is compact Hausdorff. If $S$ is a subset of $X$ and $O$ is an open set in $X$ with $\overline{S} \subset O$, prove that there is another open set $V$ in $X$ with $\overline{S} \subset V \subset \overline{V} \subset O$.

-----

Remember to read the POTW submission guidelines to find out how to submit your answers!

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
This week's problem was solved by Opalg and Olinguito . You can read Olinguito 's solution below.

We need two results about compact Hausdorff spaces. First, every closed subset of a compact space is compact.

Let $C$ be a closed subset of the compact space $X$ and let ${\frak U}=\{U_\lambda:\lambda\in\Lambda\}$ be an open cover of $C$. Then ${\frak U}\cup\{C^c\}$ (where $C^c=X\setminus C$) is an open cover of $X$. As $X$ is compact, there is a finite subcover $\{U_1,\ldots,U_n,C^c\}$. Then $\{U_1,\ldots,U_n\}$ is an open cover of $C$ and a finite subcover of $\frak U$, and so $C$ is compact.

The second result we need is that any two disjoint compact subsets of a Hausdorff space can be separated by disjoint open sets each containing one of the compact subsets.

Let $A,B$ be disjoint compact subsets of the Hausdorff space $X$. We want to show that there are open sets $U,W$ such that $U\cap W=\emptyset$ and $A\subseteq U$ and $B\subseteq W$. If $A$ and $B$ are both empty, we can take $U=W=\emptyset$; if $A$ is empty and $B$ non-empty, take $U=\emptyset$ and $W=X$; and if $A$ is non-empty and $B$ is empty, take $U=X$ and $W=\emptyset$. So assume that $A$ and $B$ are both non-empty.

Fix $a\in A$. Then, by Hausdorff, for each $b\in B$, there exist disjoint open sets $U_{a,b},W_{a,b}$ such that $a\in U_{a,b},b\in W_{a,b}$. The collection $\{W_{a,b}:b\in B\}$ is an open cover of $B$; by compactness of $B$, there is a finite subcover $\{W_{a,b_1},\ldots,W_{a,b_n}\}$. Set $\displaystyle W_a=\bigcup_{i=1}^nW_{a,b_i}$ and $\displaystyle U_a=\bigcap_{i=1}^nU_{a,b_i}$; thus $a\in U_a$, $B\subseteq W_a$, and $U_a,W_a$ are open and disjoint. Now, as we let $a$ range over $A$, the collection $\{U_a:a\in A\}$ is an open cover of $A$; by compactness of $A$, there is a finite subcover $\{U_{a_1},\ldots,U_{a_m}\}$. Set $\displaystyle U=\bigcup_{j=1}^mU_{a_j}$ and $\displaystyle W=\bigcap_{j=1}^mW_{a_j}$. Then $A\subseteq U,B\subseteq W$, both $U$ and $W$ are open and $U\cap W=\emptyset$ as required.

Now, to the problem itself. The subsets $\overline S$ and $O^c=X\setminus O$ are disjoint and closed, hence compact; thus there are disjoint open sets $V,Y$ such that $\overline S\subseteq V$ and $O^c\subseteq Y$, i.e. $Y^c=X\setminus Y\subseteq O$. As $V$ and $Y$ are disjoint, $V\subseteq Y^c$; also $Y^c$ is closed and so $\overline V\subseteq Y^c$ since $\overline V$ is the smallest closed subset of $X$ containing $V$. Thus we have
$$\overline S\ \subseteq\ V\subseteq\ \overline V\ \subseteq O$$
as required.

Status
Not open for further replies.