Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Problem Of The Week # 343 - Mar 22, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Evaluate the sum of the series

$$\sum_{n = 0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{2n+1} \sech\left[\frac{(2n+1)\pi}{2}\right]$$

-----

Remember to read the POTW submission guidelines to find out how to submit your answers!

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
No one answered this week's problem. You can read my solution below.

If $S$ is the sum, then $$S = \sum_{n = -\infty}^0 \dfrac{(-1)^n}{-2n+1} \sech\left[\frac{(-2n+1)\pi}{2}\right] = \sum_{n = -\infty}^{-1} \frac{(-1)^n}{2n+1} \sech\left[\frac{(2n+1)\pi}{2}\right]$$ so that $$2S = \sum_{n =-\infty}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{2n+1}\sech\left[\frac{(2n+1)\pi}{2}\right] = \frac{1}{2}\sum_{n = -\infty}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{n + \frac{1}{2}}\sech\left[\left(n + \frac{1}{2}\right)\pi\right]$$ The function $f(z) = \dfrac{\sech \pi z}{z}$ has $z f(z) \to 0$ as $\lvert z\rvert \to \infty$, so $2S$ is equal to one-half the sum of the residues of $f(z)\pi\sec(\pi z)$ at the singularities of $f$. Now $f$ has simple poles at $z = 0$ and at $z = -i\dfrac{2n+1}{2}$ where $n$ ranges over the integers. The residues of $f(z)\pi \sec(\pi z)$ at $0$ and $-i \dfrac{2n+1}{2}$, respectively, are $\pi$ and $-\dfrac{(-1)^n}{n + \frac{1}{2}}\sech\left[\left(n + \frac{1}{2}\right)\pi\right]$. Therefore, $2S = \dfrac{\pi}{2} - 2S$, or $S = \dfrac{\pi}{8}$.

Status
Not open for further replies.