Which Famous Physicist Personality Are You?

• Thread starter eNtRopY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is discussing a poll that asks people to choose which famous physicist personality they most closely resemble. The conversation also brings up the topic of eccentricity and the question of why certain physicists have been classified as "assholes." One person shares a story about a professor who designed an apparatus used for a Nobel Prize-winning discovery. Another person mentions a similar story of a Nobel Prize winner stealing the work of their assistant. The conversation ends with someone admitting to choosing "asshole" as their personality in the poll.

Which one are you?

• Schroedinger (lover)

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Feynmann (comedian)

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Bohr (serious)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Einstein (eccentric)

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Michelson (@sshole)

• Heisenberg (nerd)

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Newton (repressed closet homosexual)

• Total voters
eNtRopY
This personality is more fun than Grimmus'! Choose the famous physicist personality that most closely resembles your own.

P.S. Perhaps one of the worst features of the poll option is that no one discusses their choice. Please, feel free to elaborate on why you see yourself as a Jock, Princess, Brain, Basket Case or Criminal... errr... wait wrong brat pack movie... I mean lover, comedian, serious dude, eccentric, @sshole, nerd or repressed homosexual.

eNtRopY

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Weren't most of the people in the poll at least slightly eccentric?

thanks for refining my poll and making it make soem sense

Oh man, now I feel bad... Sorry I said my poll was better... I was just joking around.

Hey look, 10% of the people who answered this poll most closely identify with Newton. It's good to know our statistics match those of the rest of society.

eNtRopY

this one is tricky for me... I am actually all of them rolled into one.

but it actualy is better i wrote mine at like 1 am and i had no idea what i was doing

and i am basicaly everything too except lover and more bunghole, and essantric bt really really crazy

I have no idea about Michelson biography, so I have avoided it even if the *edited for potty-mouth* concept sounds interesting :)

Thinking outside the box? I never even knew there was a box

It would be rather interesting to know why Michelson has been classified as an .sshole. A real .sshole was Heike Kamerlingh Onnes, who took the work of his assistant to present it as own work on a conference and later on received the Nobel prize for an idea he had stolen.

Originally posted by rutwig
It would be rather interesting to know why Michelson has been classified as an .sshole. A real .sshole was Heike Kamerlingh Onnes, who took the work of his assistant to present it as own work on a conference and later on received the Nobel prize for an idea he had stolen.

I will post my reasons for classifying Michelson as an @sshole later... when I get some time to find some references.

Funny you should mention a stealing-the-Nobel-story. As an undergraduate, I worked for a professor who had designed the apparatus used to detect the binary pulsar which allowed Russell A. Hulse and Joseph H. Taylor, Jr to win the Nobel Prize.

Now each recipient is only allowed to invite something like seven guests to come with to the awards ceremony. If I remember the story correctly, one of these recipients envited Jocelyn Bell Burnell as a protest to her previous injustice.

eNtRopY

Originally posted by eNtRopY
Funny you should mention a stealing-the-Nobel-story. As an undergraduate, I worked for a professor who had designed the apparatus used to detect the binary pulsar which allowed Russell A. Hulse and Joseph H. Taylor, Jr to win the Nobel Prize.
eNtRopY

There is a slight difference. They used the apparatus, but they did not steal the results and signed them as proper.

P.S: I'm still curious about Michelson..

i polled as an @sshole because i am!

1. What is the concept of "Personalities of Physics"?

The concept of "Personalities of Physics" refers to the influential figures and scientists who have contributed significantly to the field of physics through their theories, experiments, and discoveries. These personalities have shaped the way we understand the world and have left a lasting impact on the development of physics as a science.

2. Who are some well-known personalities in the field of physics?

Some well-known personalities in the field of physics include Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton, Marie Curie, Galileo Galilei, and Stephen Hawking. These individuals have made groundbreaking contributions to the field and have become synonymous with their respective theories and discoveries.

3. How have these personalities influenced the development of physics?

The contributions of these personalities have greatly influenced the development of physics by introducing new theories and concepts, challenging existing beliefs, and paving the way for further research and discoveries. Their work has also inspired future generations of scientists to continue pushing the boundaries of physics.

4. What qualities make for a successful physicist?

A successful physicist possesses a combination of intellectual curiosity, creativity, critical thinking skills, and perseverance. They must also have a strong background in mathematics and be able to think abstractly. Additionally, effective communication and collaboration skills are essential for a physicist to share their ideas and work effectively with others.

5. How can we learn from the personalities of physics?

We can learn from the personalities of physics by studying their theories and discoveries, understanding their thought processes and approaches to problem-solving, and applying their techniques to our own research. Additionally, we can also learn valuable lessons from their perseverance and dedication to their work, which can inspire us to never stop exploring and questioning the world around us.

Back