Is Intel Releasing a 64-Bit Processor with the Prescot Next Year?

• Thread starter Krazie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bit
In summary, Intel has already released a 64-bit processor called the Itanium, but is currently phasing out the P4, including the Prescott. However, they are replacing it with a dual-core chip. The release of this chip may be delayed due to issues with heat and power consumption. There are currently advancements in cooling technology, such as liquid cooling, to address these problems. Some users may not notice a significant difference in performance between different clock speeds, and the need for faster processors may not be as pressing for everyday tasks.
Krazie
When will intel come out with a 64 bit processor? I am excited about the prescot, but will it be 32 or 64 bit? And does anybody know if the prescot will be out this time next year? And does anyone know what the clockspeed of processor will most likely be this time next year?

Computer science news on Phys.org
The good news: Intel already has a 64-bit processor. It is called the Itanium
The bad news: Intel is scraping the P4 (I think this includes the prescott)
The good news: Intel is replacing the P4 with a dual core chip.
The ugly news: Don't expect this chip for a while.

I'm upset that processor speeds have not greatly increased over the past year. A year and a half ago, Pentium 4 3.0 ghz chips came out. Now it's 3.4 ghz. This is the slowest level of increase since as long as I can remember computers have existed. Although other than processor speeds, other things have progressed. Like the Front Side Bus increasing to 800 mhz and dual channel RAM coming out. The processor speeds I believe is suppose to start increasing again though. With 10 ghz processors expected within a couple years.

I don't know if there is going to be any huge speed increases coming anytime soon. Heat and power consumption are really causing lots of problems. The smaller the die size, the more they have to ramp up the current due to leakage. This is why intel has decided to go with their Pentium M technology which focuses on less power consumption.

this is for all the MHz maniacs out there:
let me tell you a simple fact about CMOS technology. Current consumption (that means power too) is proportional with the frequency squared. So before asking for XXX GHz processor you'd better think about how are you going to cool them? :biggrin:

yes, if intel put out a 10GHZ chip with their current manufacturing tech, it would a fan/heatsink the size of your case to cool it, plus you would have to shout over the noise... But hey you'd have the latest right? :uhh: :tongue2:

Voltage, current and clock speed

Guybrush Threepwood said:
Current consumption (that means power too)
No, it doesn't. Power is voltage * current (or, more generally, force * rate of application of that force).

is proportional with the frequency squared.
No. "Power functions are proportional with the frequency and with the square of the voltage [3], [4]." The reason power increases as the square of voltage increases (within a given system) is that current in a circuit goes up as the voltage goes up. E.g., doubling the voltage also doubles the current, and both of these effects together add up to a quadrupling of power consumption. However, simply doubling a chip's clock speed will merely double the electrical current feeding it, and hence merely double the power consumption. Battling this, CPU's have gradually evolved to operate on ever-lower voltages. The power-draw is still rising, but not as much as it would without concommitant decreases in voltage.

So before asking for XXX GHz processor you'd better think about how are you going to cool them?
It seems that computers will soon begin shipping with built-in water-cooling systems. Compressor-based cooling solutions may lie in the future for commodity computer systems, as well.

The Cooligy solution to CPU heat

theamazingTWOeyedman said:
yes, if intel put out a 10GHZ chip with their current manufacturing tech, it would a fan/heatsink the size of your case to cool it, plus you would have to shout over the noise...
My small air conditioner removes 1500 watts of heat continuously, without making so much noise that you can't easily talk over it. As far as PC cooling today (or in the near future), Cooligy claims to have in development a rather quiet and extraordinarily effective liquid cooling solution for CPU's.

dduardo said:
I don't know if there is going to be any huge speed increases coming anytime soon. Heat and power consumption are really causing lots of problems. The smaller the die size, the more they have to ramp up the current due to leakage.
This is the end of Moore's law.
My small air conditioner removes 1500 watts of heat continuously, without making so much noise that you can't easily talk over it. As far as PC cooling today (or in the near future), Cooligy claims to have in development a rather quiet and extraordinarily effective liquid cooling solution for CPU's.
When you have one computer in a room, noise might not be a big issue, but when you have 50, its a deal-breaker. Also, a/c units and even just water cooling add significant cost and complexity to a computer. And then of course, there is heat rejection: what do you do with all of that heat when it leaves the case (after being multiplied by 3 by a portable A/C unit)? Pretty soon, they'll have to circulate chilled water to every cubicle in an office for cooling the computers.

So what is everyone doing that requires so much speed? Most of the slowdowns I experience are with the internet and sometimes even a local area network. The only local slowdowns I have are with extensive 2d designs, and that is because of the video card. I don't think I've ever noticed my 2GHz processor being faster than my 1.2Ghz one.

When you sit in a traffic jam every day, you're more excited about a new highway than a new sports car.

Njorl

g factor of computational power

Njorl said:
I don't think I've ever noticed my 2GHz processor being faster than my 1.2Ghz one.
Clock speed is not the same thing as a general factor of computational power. Which two CPU's are you using?

Njorl said:
So what is everyone doing that requires so much speed?
I'm currently converting my parents' old vhs tapes to dvd...

Russ,
What codecs do you transcode with ?

hitssquad said:
Battling this, CPU's have gradually evolved to operate on ever-lower voltages. The power-draw is still rising, but not as much as it would without concommitant decreases in voltage.

The lowest suplly voltage for current digital circuits is around 1.8V (my motherboard monitor shows 1.5V). Do you think it can go lower? Keep in mind that you still need to differentiate between 0 and 1 logic levels. Also lower voltage for the logic levels means more sensitivity to noise...

What is a 64-bit processor?

A 64-bit processor is a type of computer processor that can handle data in 64-bit chunks, allowing it to process larger amounts of information and perform more complex calculations than a 32-bit processor.

Is Intel planning to release a 64-bit processor with the Prescot next year?

Yes, according to recent announcements, Intel is planning to release a 64-bit processor with the Prescot architecture in the next year.

What are the benefits of a 64-bit processor?

A 64-bit processor can handle larger amounts of memory, allowing for faster processing and improved performance in tasks such as gaming and video editing. It also has better security features and is more efficient in handling large databases.

Will the new 64-bit processor be compatible with current software and operating systems?

Yes, most modern software and operating systems are already compatible with 64-bit processors, and Intel has confirmed that their new processor will be backward compatible with 32-bit software and operating systems as well.

What other features can we expect from the new 64-bit processor?

In addition to improved performance and compatibility, the new 64-bit processor is also expected to have enhanced power efficiency, better graphics capabilities, and support for advanced technologies such as virtual reality and artificial intelligence.