Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Problem Of The Week # 328 - Oct 16, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Let $X$ be a compact Hausdorff space. If $X$ contains a dense, locally compact subspace $S$, show that $S$ is open in $X$.
-----

Remember to read the POTW submission guidelines to find out how to submit your answers!

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
This week's problem was solved correctly by Janssens . You can read his solution below.

Let $p \in S$ be arbitrary. By local compactness there exists an open subset $U$ of $S$ such that $p \in U$ and the closure $\overline{U}^S$ of $U$ in $S$ is compact in $S$, hence in $X$ as well. Since $X$ is Hausdorff, it follows that $\overline{U}^S$ is closed in $X$, so
$$
\overline{U} \subseteq \overline{U}^S,
$$
where the left-hand side (without the superscript) denotes the closure in $X$.

Secondly, since $U$ is open in the subspace topology of $S$, there exists an open set $O \subseteq X$ such that $U = O \cap S$. We show that $O \subseteq S$. We note that
$$
O \subseteq \overline{O \cap S}.
$$
(Indeed, let $x \in O$ be arbitrary and let $B \subseteq X$ be any open set with $x \in B$. Since $O$ is open and $S$ is dense in $X$, the open set $B \cap O$ intersects $S$. Hence $B \cap (O \cap S) \neq \emptyset$ so $x \in \overline{O \cap S}$.) Next, using the two previously displayed equations in order, we obtain the inclusions
$$
O \subseteq \overline{O \cap S} = \overline{U} \subseteq \overline{U}^S \subseteq S.
$$
This shows that $p$ is an interior point of $S$ with respect to $X$, so $S$ is open in $X$.

Remarks: Compactness of $X$ is not needed. Also, I recall this problem from a lecture I enjoyed in the past, so I do not want to pretend the above solution is entirely my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.