Forces on an object being run over?

• Thread starter andy_padgett
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary: The RG500 is a triangular-shaped device designed to withstand impact from objects such as cars and bikes. The device is designed to be placed in the road and hit by a car, in order to calculate the force of the collision. The device is made out of a strong, durable material, and is able to withstand a 2000N impact at a speed of 60mph. However, the device is not designed to withstand repeated flipping and tossing by a car.
andy_padgett
I'm currently trying to complete a Finite Element Analysis of a design i have made at uni.
Put simply I have designed a new 'Stinger' type device for the police to use to stop pursuits with.
I am trying to calculate the force that will be placed on my design when placed in the road and run over by cars etc.. - Obviously it must be strong enough to withstand these forces.
The profile of the design is triangular, 35mm high and 75mm wide, with pretty much a 45 degree angle.
I have tried to work out the force using basic impact equations, but obviously the force will not be hitting the object head on e.g. only the bottom 35mm of the tyre will hit it, the profile of the object will have some effect, etc..
Is there any way to make this more accurate?

With my calculations the impact force is about 2000N at a speed of 60mph.
This does not take into account the weight of the car, should i add 1/4 of this to the impact force (to account for the 4 wheels) to get the final force so i can complete the FEA?

Any help or pointers would be very appreciated!

Many thanks,

Andy

Engineering news on Phys.org
I really expected someone else to ring in here, but i'll try and get things started.

I think that the force needs to be calculated as the sum of two vectors of different directions. The impact will actually be less than a head on impact (as you indicate that you know) The wheel will be approaching in one direction and will strike the triangle at another angle dependant on the diameter of the wheel and the height of your gadget.

Hopefully, this will stir some attention for your post. Good luck with your project.

Andy,

My concern would not be that of the initial impact of the front wheel of the vehicle running over your device but rather that of the real wheel after the front wheel tosses your device into the air and flips it over a few times...

Just a thought...

Cheers,
RG500

1. What is the force acting on an object when it is being run over?

The force acting on an object when it is being run over is the weight of the object and the force of the object's motion. This force is typically exerted by the wheels or treads of the vehicle running over the object.

2. How does the speed of the vehicle affect the forces on the object?

The speed of the vehicle can greatly impact the forces on the object. As the speed increases, the force of impact also increases, which can cause more damage to the object being run over.

3. What happens to the force on the object if it is being run over by multiple vehicles?

If an object is being run over by multiple vehicles, the force on the object will increase as each vehicle exerts its own force on the object. This can cause more damage to the object and potentially increase the force acting on it.

4. How do the materials of the object and the vehicle affect the forces involved?

The materials of the object and the vehicle can greatly impact the forces involved. For example, a heavier vehicle made of metal will exert more force on an object than a lighter vehicle made of plastic. The materials of the object being run over can also affect how it responds to the force, such as if it will be crushed or simply pushed out of the way.

5. Is there any way to reduce the forces on an object being run over?

There are some ways to reduce the forces on an object being run over, such as using shock-absorbing materials or having a larger surface area to distribute the force. However, ultimately the force will depend on the weight and speed of the vehicle, and how the object responds to the force will also play a role.