Can the Polynomial g(x) Have a Solution Modulo Any Integer n?

In summary, to show that the polynomial g(x)=(x^2 -5) (x^2-41)(x^2-205) has a solution modulo any integer n∈ℕ, we need to consider quadratic residues and determine if any of the numbers 5, 41, or 41*205 are quadratic residues mod n. This can be done using Legendre's Symbol and other resources such as Wolfram. Additionally, it is important to note that at least one of these numbers must be a quadratic residue mod n for each n. Starting with small cases and considering what must be true for a number to be a root of g, mod n can also be helpful.
qaz
show that the polynomial [itex]g(x)=(x^2 -5) (x^2-41)(x^2-205)[/itex] has a solution modulo any integer [itex]n[/itex]∈ℕ.

Physics news on Phys.org
you mean root; if there is a solution it should come from considering quadratic residues, i imagine.

ok, but i am stil stuck i don't know where to go from here...we don't have a good book for this class and it wasnt explained well at all.

Have you done anything? (whether successful or not)

Sometimes starting small helps. What has to be true for some number m to be a root of g, mod n? What has to be true if no such m exists?

Have you also noticed something important about 205?

What do you konw about Legendre's Symbol? I'm sure there are lots of useful resources out there, try Wolfram.

ok, i know that 205 can be written as the following: (205/n)=(5/n)(41/n), which reduces to =(-1)(-1)=1. so there are either 2 cases for this problem, (5/n)=1 or (41/n)=1.

that is possibly correct in spirit, but needs better explanation: at least one of 5,41 or 41*205 must be a quadratic residue mod n for each n because...

1. What is a challenge problem from class?

A challenge problem from class is a question or task that is designed to test your understanding and application of concepts that you have learned in class. It is meant to be difficult and may require problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and creativity to solve.

2. How do I approach a challenge problem from class?

The first step is to carefully read and understand the problem. Make sure to identify the key concepts and any given information. Then, break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. Use any relevant formulas or equations and try to think of different approaches to solve the problem.

3. What should I do if I get stuck on a challenge problem from class?

If you get stuck on a challenge problem from class, don't panic. Take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller parts or asking a classmate or teacher for help. Remember to use all the resources available to you, such as textbooks, notes, and online resources.

4. Is there a specific method or strategy to solve a challenge problem from class?

There is no one specific method or strategy to solve a challenge problem from class. Different problems may require different approaches. However, some general strategies include breaking the problem down, identifying key concepts, and using relevant formulas or equations. It's also important to practice and develop your problem-solving skills.

5. Why are challenge problems important in science classes?

Challenge problems are important in science classes because they allow you to apply the concepts and theories you have learned in a real-world context. They also help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for success in science and other fields. Additionally, challenge problems can be fun and rewarding when you are able to solve them.