Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Problem Of The Week # 312 - Jun 20, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
I'm stepping in for Ackbach temporarily until he returns. Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Suppose $D$ is a compact domain of $\Bbb R^3,$ $F : D \to \Bbb R^3$ is continuous, and $\phi_1, \phi_2 : D \to \Bbb R$ are $C^2$-solutions of the PDE $\nabla^2 \phi = F$. If $\dfrac{\partial \phi_1}{\partial n} = \dfrac{\partial \phi_2}{\partial n}$ on the boundary $\partial D$ and $\phi_1(x_0) = \phi_2(x_0)$ for some $x_0\in \partial D,$ show that $\phi_1 = \phi_2$.

-----

Remember to read the POTW submission guidelines to find out how to submit your answers!

Last edited:

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
Hi MHB community,

There was a misprint in the original statement. The hypothesis added is $\phi_1(x_0)= \phi_2(x_0)$ for some $x_0\in \partial D$. I'm giving an extra week for users to submit solutions.

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
No one answered this week’s problem. You can read my solution below.

Let $\phi := \phi_1 - \phi_2$. Then $\phi$ is a harmonic function on $D$, and the divergence theorem gives

$$\iint_{\partial D} \phi \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial n}\, dS = \iiint_D \operatorname{div}(\phi\nabla \phi)\, dV = \iiint_D (\lvert \nabla \phi\rvert^2 + \phi \Delta \phi)\, dV = \iiint_D \lvert \nabla \phi\rvert^2\, dV$$

As $\phi = 0$ on $\partial D$, the surface integral above is zero. Hence $\iiint_D \lvert \nabla \phi\rvert^2\, dV = 0$. Since $\lvert \nabla \phi\rvert^2$ is nonnegative and continuous on $D$ it follows that $\nabla \phi = 0$. Connectedness of $D$ implies $\phi$ is constant. By hypothesis $\phi_1(x_0)=\phi_2(x_0)$, whence $\phi \equiv 0$. Thus $\phi_1 \equiv \phi_2$.

Status
Not open for further replies.