What is the Coefficient of Restitution in a Block Collision with a Wall?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coefficient of restitution in a specific example involving a block being pushed towards a wall. The steps for calculating the coefficient of restitution are mentioned, as well as a reminder to check for a response in the Classical Physics section.
SuperGeek
Hi all,
I am trying to find the coefficient of restitution in this example:
Block m1=2 kg is pushed with initial velocity v=7 m/s for distance
d = 4 meters towards a wall. Kinetic friction b/w floor and block is mK = 0.4. The block rebounds off the wall and travels distance
d2 = 1 m before stopping.

I think I should get the speeds of the block right before and after hitting the wall first but I am really lost on this one. Any help or teaching would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of calculate the relative velocity of approach and separation

e= coefficient of restitutio is given by relative velocity of separation along the normal divided by relative velocity of approach

Note to SuperGeek: You posted this in the Classical Physics section, check there for my response.

PS: Bad Dog for posting twice!

What is the Coefficient of Restitution?

The Coefficient of Restitution, also known as COR, is a measure of the elasticity of a collision between two objects. It is represented by the symbol e.

How is the Coefficient of Restitution calculated?

The Coefficient of Restitution is calculated by taking the ratio of the relative velocity of separation after the collision to the relative velocity of approach before the collision.

What does a high Coefficient of Restitution indicate?

A high Coefficient of Restitution (e > 1) indicates a very elastic collision, meaning that the objects bounce off each other with a high amount of energy conserved.

What does a low Coefficient of Restitution indicate?

A low Coefficient of Restitution (e < 1) indicates an inelastic collision, meaning that some of the kinetic energy is lost during the collision and the objects do not bounce off each other as strongly.

How is the Coefficient of Restitution used in practical applications?

The Coefficient of Restitution is used in fields such as sports, engineering, and physics to analyze and determine the efficiency and effectiveness of collisions. It is also used in the design of materials and structures to ensure proper energy absorption and transfer during impacts.