1D wave equation with gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving a nonhomogeneous PDE with homogeneous boundary conditions using Laplace transforms. The speaker suggests expanding the constant term using eigenfunctions, but there is some hesitation due to the presence of a discontinuity. The expert advises treating the constant as an odd function and using a sine series or Fourier Transform to find the coefficients.
urista
I have a wave equation Ytt=c^2 Yxx - g where g is a constant. The boundary conditions are Y(0,t)=Y(L,t)=0 with initial conditions Y(x,0)=0 and Yt(x,0)=0 I tried to solve it by Laplace transfoming the PDE in time and everything worked fine until I got to the point where I had to inverse the transform but things got ugly. Obviously, I have a nonhomogenous PDE with homogeneous boundary conditions. I was going to expand everything in terms of the related eigenfunctions sin(n Pi x/L)but it's not right to expand the constant g in terms of eigenfunctions. I can't do separation of variables because the PDE is inhomogeneous. What's the trick here to get me started without using integral transforms?

Physics news on Phys.org
"I was going to expand everything in terms of the related eigenfunctions sin(n Pi x/L)but it's not right to expand the constant g in terms of eigenfunctions."

Why not? If you are restricted to a finite interval, say 0 to a, then it is fairly simple to expand a constant in a sine series by treating it as an odd function with period 2a. If you have an infinite interval, you will need to use a Fourier Transform anyway.

Thanks HallsofIvy, so I should expand g=Sum form n=0 to infinity(gn sin(n Pi x/L)), and of course the gn coefficients can be found using inner product and the orthogonality of the eigenfunctions, correct?

Yes, just find the coefficients the way you would for any function. Because there is a discontinuity at 0 and L, there will be an inaccuracy for any finite truncation of the series but that shouldn't bother you .

1. What is the 1D wave equation with gravity?

The 1D wave equation with gravity is a mathematical model that describes the behavior of a wave in a one-dimensional system under the influence of gravity. It takes into account the effects of both the wave's propagation and the force of gravity on its motion.

2. How is the 1D wave equation with gravity derived?

The 1D wave equation with gravity is derived from the general wave equation in one dimension, which is a partial differential equation that describes the propagation of any type of wave. The addition of the gravitational force term in the equation takes into account the effects of gravity on the wave's motion.

3. What are the parameters in the 1D wave equation with gravity?

The parameters in the 1D wave equation with gravity are the wave speed, the wave amplitude, the gravitational acceleration, and the position and time variables. These parameters determine the behavior of the wave and how it is affected by gravity.

4. What are the applications of the 1D wave equation with gravity?

The 1D wave equation with gravity has many applications in various fields such as oceanography, seismology, and acoustics. It can also be used to model the behavior of waves in fluids and gases, as well as in engineering and physics research.

5. How does the 1D wave equation with gravity differ from the 1D wave equation without gravity?

The main difference between the two equations is the addition of the gravitational force term in the 1D wave equation with gravity. This term accounts for the effects of gravity on the wave's motion, which can significantly change its behavior and characteristics compared to a wave without gravity.