Projectile motion using energy method

In summary, a rocket is launched at an angle of 70.9 degrees from the horizontal with an initial speed of 6.3m/s and an altitude of 5.4m. Using energy methods, its speed is found to be 9.6234 m/s when its altitude is 2.7m. To find the y component of its velocity at 2.7m altitude, the initial vertical velocity of 6.3 \sin 70.9^o\ m/s is used, and the final vertical velocity is calculated to be 9.4 m/s using the equation \frac{1}{2} m v_f^2 = \frac{1}{2} m v_i^2
pringless
i)A rocket is launched at an angle of 70.9 degrees from the horizontal from an altitude of 5.4m with a speed of 6.3m/s. Use energy methods to find its speed when its altitude is 2.7 m.

I got a correct answer of 9.6234 m/s. I need help for the next part.

ii)Find the y component of the velocity when the rocket's altitude is 2.7m.

i don't quite what velocity i should use? i tried using the velocity i got for the first part but the answer is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
The vertical component of the initial velocity is [itex]6.3 \sin 70.9^o\ m/s[/itex]. (The horizontal component is [itex]6.3 \cos 70.9^o\ m/s[/itex].)

Think about it this way: the vertical motion and the horizontal motion are independent. If you drop a rock off the edge of a cliff (so it has zero horizontal velocity), you know how to calculate how long it'll take to hit the ground below. If you throw the rock off the cliff (so it has some horizontal velocity), you know that it does not affect how long it takes to hit the ground below.

So, you know the initial vertical velocity, and you know how far the rocket fell. You can use that calculate its final vertical velocity. Its horizontal velocity is constant (and irrelevant).

Using energy arguments:

[tex]\frac{1}{2} m v_f^2 = \frac{1}{2} m v_i^2 + m g h[/tex]

[tex]v_f = \sqrt{v_i^2 + 2 g h}[/tex]

Plug in the initial vertical velocity, [itex]6.3 \sin 70.9^o\ m/s[/itex] -- you should find the final vertical velocity is 9.4 m/s.

Does this answer agree with your previous answer? After it has fallen to 2.7 m altitude, the rocket has a vertical velocity of 9.4 m/s, and the same horizontal velocity it started with: [itex]6.3 \cos 70.9^o\ m/s[/itex]. You can add those components together to find the total velocity:

[tex]\begin{align*}
v &= \sqrt{v_x^2 + v_y^2}
&= \sqrt{(6.3 \cos 70.9^o)^2 + 9.4^2}
&= 9.624\ m/s
\end{align*}
[/tex]

The answer checks. Does this make sense?

- Warren

Hey, Thanks a lot Warren. I understand now.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How is energy used to analyze projectile motion?

The energy method involves using the principles of conservation of energy to analyze the motion of a projectile. This means that the total energy of the projectile, which is the sum of its kinetic and potential energy, remains constant throughout the motion.

3. What is the equation for calculating the maximum height of a projectile using energy?

The equation for calculating the maximum height of a projectile using energy is h = (v02 sin2θ) / 2g, where h is the maximum height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How is the range of a projectile calculated using energy?

To calculate the range of a projectile using energy, we can use the formula R = (v02 sin2θ) / g, where R is the range, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion using the energy method?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by reducing the projectile's velocity, thus reducing its kinetic energy. This means that the total energy of the projectile is not constant throughout the motion, and the equations for maximum height and range will not be accurate. In order to accurately analyze projectile motion with air resistance, we would need to use more complex equations and consider the effects of air resistance on both the kinetic and potential energy of the projectile.