How Does the Body Detect and Recognize Unsafe Food?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body Food
In summary, the body has a complex system of chemoreceptors and neurotransmitters that detect and respond to foreign or toxic substances in the stomach. The enteric nervous system, as well as the brain, play a role in triggering the "yuck" mechanism that causes us to be disgusted and throw up. The specific chemicals that trigger nausea are not fully understood, but it is believed that serotonin and the area prostrema in the brain may be involved. Eating too much potassium, as in the case of bananas and vitamins, can also cause the stomach to rebel and result in vomiting.
For lack of a better term, how does your body know why to throw up. How does it detect and recognize something that shouldn't be in the stomach? For instance, how does it's know if food has gone bad?

Biology news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
For lack of a better term, how does your body know why to throw up. How does it detect and recognize something that shouldn't be in the stomach? For instance, how does it's know if food has gone bad?

Well, I should assume that the presence of micro-organisms would trigger a response from the immune system. But I too am in the dark, with regard to the "yuck" mechanism (so to speak); or whatever it is that causes us to be disgusted by certain things.

Is the lining of the stomach not a sensory organ? The stomach probably responds to chemicals which are toxins or which signal the presence of pathogens.

Hmmm... I believe the original sensing is done by receptors for specific chemicals (chemoreceptors) in the upper GI tract, like the stomach. There is an entire 'enteric nervous system' in charge of handling digestion and processing these sort of things (serotonin is the primary neurotransmitter it uses.) The signals are then sent to the brain, largely via the vagus nerve. There are also believed to be important chemoreceptors in the brain - the area prostrema is believed to play a role in this. Check out http://www.nauseaandvomiting.co.uk/NAVRES001-2-NandV-general.htm [Broken] .

None of my books mention which chemicals in the GI tract trigger nausea, though... hmm.

PS - The dignified-sounding medical word for throwing up is "emesis." God bless Latin.

Last edited by a moderator:
I notice that I throw up if I eat a banana and a vitamin. (too much potassium makes my stomach rebel?)

I used to eat that for breakfast for a few days... and then I figured out the correlation and stopped.

Originally posted by Entropia
I notice that I throw up if I eat a banana and a vitamin. (too much potassium makes my stomach rebel?)

I used to eat that for breakfast for a few days... and then I figured out the correlation and stopped.

Try kiwi. It has more potassium than bananas, and will ascertain whether that is your problem or not.

or try a half litre of vodka... :wink:

1. How does the body detect unsafe food?

The body detects unsafe food through a combination of sensory mechanisms, such as taste, smell, and sight. The taste buds on our tongues are able to detect bitter, sour, and salty flavors, which can alert us to potentially dangerous substances in our food. Our sense of smell can also detect spoiled or contaminated food. In addition, our eyes can recognize visible signs of spoilage, such as mold or discoloration.

2. How does the body recognize unsafe food?

The body recognizes unsafe food by comparing it to previous experiences and learned information. For example, if we have previously eaten a food that made us sick, our body may associate that food with feeling ill and alert us to avoid it in the future. This is known as conditioned taste aversion. Our body also has a natural defense mechanism called the gag reflex, which can be triggered by the taste or smell of something that is potentially harmful.

3. What happens in the body when we eat unsafe food?

When we eat unsafe food, our body's immune system responds by releasing antibodies to fight off any harmful bacteria or toxins that may have entered our system. This can cause symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. In some cases, the body may also trigger an inflammatory response, which can lead to more severe symptoms and even food poisoning.

4. How does the body protect itself from unsafe food?

The body has a number of built-in defense mechanisms to protect itself from unsafe food. The first line of defense is our digestive system, which includes stomach acid and enzymes that can break down and destroy harmful bacteria. Our immune system also plays a crucial role in protecting us from foodborne illnesses by producing antibodies and white blood cells to fight off any invaders. Additionally, our body has a natural aversion to certain smells and tastes that may signal potential danger.

5. Can the body adapt to detect and recognize unsafe food more effectively?

Yes, the body can adapt to detect and recognize unsafe food more effectively through repeated exposure and learning. This is why some people may have a higher tolerance for spicy or bitter foods, as their body has adapted to recognize these flavors as safe. Additionally, practicing good food safety habits, such as properly cooking and storing food, can also help the body to better detect and avoid unsafe food.