The Truth About the Speed of Light: Debunking the Myth of an Absolute Limit

In summary: We wouldn't, so why should we expect reality at the speed of light to be anything like our experiences at lower speeds?Consequently, I think it would be more accurate to say that the speed of light is the absolute maximum speed that anything can travel, regardless of its actual mass.In summary, palladin's argument against the constancy of the speed of light is based on the assumption that anything is small on the ruler of infinity. However, experiments have shown that this assumption is false.
pallidin
I can find no more a ridiculous theory that the speed of light is the absolute "speed limit" of any and everything, especially given it's extremely low scale on the ruler of infinity.
Conceptually, the limit is absurd, and reminds me of horse travellers wondering about airplanes.

Science news on Phys.org
pallidin said:
I can find no more a ridiculous theory that the speed of light is the absolute "speed limit" of any and everything, especially given it's extremely low scale on the ruler of infinity.
I agree. Let's just call C=1. :biggrin:

unfortunately Palladin, it also puts a limitation on physics and I don't mean this in a negative sense. It just means that this branch of physics whilst entirely valid is only a small step to understanding the bigger picture.

Maybe in a thousand years our approach to physics will be different. This is possible. But for this way of looking at the physical reality the speed of light as being a universal constant is entirely justified and consistent.

Speed of Light Debunked, hold the front page physicsforums.com member "pallidin" finds radical new argument against the constancy of the speed of light, he claims its "ridiculous". Scientists around the world are trying to come to terms with this shocking discovery

Oracle

Sure, I have no evidence to support this contention(hence my posting in Theory) and I certainly understand all the arguments related to it, but I find it of interest that in a previous posting related to this discussion, someone suggested that measurements greater than c are inherently problematic; much like measuring 200 volts with a 100 volt max-scale voltmeter, as was alluded.
I must admit, that is a good point.

Well palladin, your whole argument about being on the ruler of infinity is also quite faulty. Anything is quite small on the ruler of infinity. Non-discrete mathematics isn't a good way to debunk somewhat discrete physics..I mean, any speed is quite small on that ruler. It doesn't mean that we can't use any other speeds in anything mathematical...it just means no particles or matter at all will every move faster than photons. You can very well write x= 3*10^26 meters per second on your paper, and there, you measured a faster speed, yet it just won't ever apply to real life.

Pallidin, you're absolutely right insofar as the concept in absurd. Nobody would just assume this all! But experiments contradict our common-sense assumptions about the world, and common sense dictates we heed those experiments. Ironic. Besides, why should we expect our experiences at 60 or 70 miles per hour to be anything like reality at light speed?

What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in physics that represents the speed at which electromagnetic radiation (such as light) travels in a vacuum. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second or 186,282 miles per second.

Can the speed of light be exceeded?

According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel. While there have been some claims of exceeding the speed of light, these have not been scientifically proven and are considered to be impossible.

Is the speed of light constant?

Yes, the speed of light is considered to be a constant in the theory of relativity. This means that it does not change regardless of the observer's frame of reference or the speed of the source emitting the light.

What is the evidence for the speed of light?

There have been numerous experiments and observations that support the constant speed of light. For example, the observation of starlight from distant galaxies, the behavior of particles in particle accelerators, and the bending of light around massive objects all provide evidence for the speed of light.

Can the speed of light be debunked?

No, the speed of light has been extensively studied and confirmed by numerous experiments and observations. While there may be new discoveries or theories that could challenge our understanding of the speed of light, it is currently considered to be a well-established fundamental constant in physics.