Problem with buyoancy and fluid stuff

• Thread starter Daniel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fluid
In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving a wood raft and a pig. The person is struggling to find the mass of the raft and is seeking help from others. They discuss the forces acting on the system and try to figure out equations for equilibrium. The conversation ends with a suggestion to solve for the unknown variables.
Daniel
I can't figure this out... I know that answer is wrong, help please? Someone? Ahh!

http://www.gatcity.com/images2/physics.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I guess it's because I haven't TA'd anything yet...

Can you put down how you went about solving the problem here so we can find where you're having trouble?

Thanks

TAed?

I figured I needed to find the mass of the wood raft, and then if I had that I could solve what the Fb was.. Originally I thought the buyoant force was 1158 since the net force equals zero and there is a force of 1158 pushing down (that should be 1158 * 9.81)

... and then after that I just got really confused and talked to a friend from my class who was equally confused...

If I can find the mass, then I know that (1158 + m)/(3.40) = density, but I just can't figure out that mass. I've tried all of the buyoant formulas I know, and they aren't helping much...

Ask yourself what are all the forces acting on the "pig plus raft" system. You know it's in equilibrium, so the net force is zero.

I see three forces acting:
Weight of the pig (acts down)
Weight of the raft (acts down) - how do you figure its weight?
Bouyant force of water on raft (acts up) - how do you figure bouyant force?

First figure out all these forces as much as you can. Then write the equation for equilibrium. Then solve for what you don't know.

1. Why do objects float or sink in fluids?

Objects float or sink in fluids due to the principle of buoyancy, which states that an object will float if its weight is less than the weight of the fluid it displaces. This is because the fluid exerts an upward force, called buoyant force, on the object which counteracts its weight.

2. How does the density of an object affect its buoyancy?

The density of an object plays a crucial role in determining its buoyancy. Objects with higher density than the fluid they are placed in will sink, while objects with lower density will float. This is because the buoyant force is greater on objects with higher volume, which corresponds to lower density.

3. What is the Archimedes' principle?

The Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. This principle is the basis for understanding why objects float or sink in fluids.

4. Can an object sink in a fluid with a lower density?

Yes, an object can sink in a fluid with a lower density if its own density is significantly higher. This can occur when the object's volume is compressed, causing its density to increase and become greater than the fluid's density.

5. How does the shape of an object affect its buoyancy?

The shape of an object can greatly affect its buoyancy. Objects with a larger surface area will experience a greater buoyant force due to the increased surface area interacting with the fluid. Objects with a concave shape, such as a boat, can also increase their buoyancy by trapping air underneath, reducing the overall density of the object.