What is the period of a standing transverse wave on a flexible string?

In summary, the conversation discusses a diagram representing a standing transverse wave on a flexible string and the task of finding the period of oscillation. The diagram shows one and a half wavelengths, with a loop up, a loop down, and another loop up. The length of the string is 1.34 m and the tension is 6 N, with a total mass of 12.22 g. The conversation also mentions finding the speed of the wave and using it to determine the wavelength. Eventually, the period of oscillation is found and the conversation concludes with gratitude.
PhysicsPhun
The diagram represents a snapshot of a standing transverse wave on a flexible string taken when the displacement is at a maximum. The string is 1.34 m long with tension 6 N. The total mass of the string is 12.22 g. Find the period of the oscillation.

The diagram is unlabeled. it just shows one and a half wavelengths.

a loop up, a loop down, another loop up. is what it looks like.

i don't know if that makes sense.. it's pretty simple i just don't know how else to show you the diagram.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I understand what the diagram looks like. What I don't see is any question!

HallsofIvy said:
I think I understand what the diagram looks like. What I don't see is any question!

Find the period of oscillation.

Start by finding the speed of the wave. Hint: That speed depends on the tension, mass, and length of the string.

I found that, but what can i do next?

I have the length of the string, but i can't seem to find a way to find the wavelength, or the length of 1 1/2 wave lengths.

PhysicsPhun said:
I have the length of the string, but i can't seem to find a way to find the wavelength, or the length of 1 1/2 wave lengths.
According to your description, doesn't the length of the string equal 1 1/2 wavelengths?

Doc Al said:
According to your description, doesn't the length of the string equal 1 1/2 wavelengths?

Maybe i should try that again, i just got confused on what length meant.

Got it! thanks! hadn't tried that with my new velocity.

Much appreciated.

1. What is a standing transverse wave?

A standing transverse wave is a type of wave that oscillates perpendicular to the direction of its propagation. It is characterized by nodes and antinodes, where the amplitude of the wave is at a maximum and minimum respectively.

2. How is a standing transverse wave formed?

A standing transverse wave is formed when two waves with the same amplitude and frequency, traveling in opposite directions, interfere with each other. This causes the wave to appear stationary, as the crests and troughs of the waves cancel each other out at certain points.

3. What are the properties of a standing transverse wave?

The properties of a standing transverse wave include amplitude, wavelength, frequency, and velocity. It also has distinct nodes and antinodes, and does not transfer energy in the direction of propagation.

4. What are some real-life examples of standing transverse waves?

Some real-life examples of standing transverse waves include vibrating strings on a musical instrument, electromagnetic waves in an antenna, and seismic waves during an earthquake.

5. What is the difference between a standing transverse wave and a traveling transverse wave?

The main difference between a standing transverse wave and a traveling transverse wave is that a standing wave does not propagate through a medium, while a traveling wave does. This means that a standing wave does not transfer energy in the direction of propagation, while a traveling wave does.