Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Problem of the Week #284 - Jan 07, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
Happy New Year, everyone! Here's this week's problem!

-----
If $M$ and $N$ are topological manifolds with boundary of dimensions $m$ and $n$, respectively, show that $M \times N$ is an $(m+n)$-manifold with boundary $\partial M \times N \cup M \times \partial N$.

-----

Remember to read the POTW submission guidelines to find out how to submit your answers!

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
No one answered this week's problem. You can read my solution below.

Note $(x,y) \in \partial(M \times N)$ if and only if the relative homology $H_{m+n}(M\times N, M\times N \setminus \{(x,y)\}) = 0$. Since $M\times N \setminus \{(x,y)\} = (M\setminus \{x\}) \times N \cup M \times (N \setminus \{y\})$, the relative Künneth formula gives $$H_{m+n}(M\times N, M\times N \setminus \{(x,y)\}) \approx \bigoplus_{i + j = m + n} H_i(M,M\setminus \{x\}) \otimes H_j(N,N\setminus \{y\}) \approx H_m(M,M\setminus\{x\}) \otimes H_n(N,N\setminus\{y\})$$ Both $H_m(M,M\setminus\{x\})$ and $H_n(N,N\setminus\{y\})$ are zero or infinite cyclic, so the left-hand side is trivial if and only if $H_m(M,M\setminus\{x\}) = 0$ or $H_n(N,N\setminus \{y\}) = 0$, i.e., $(x,y)\in \partial M \times N \cup M\times \partial N$. Hence $\partial(M\times N) = \partial M \times N \cup M \times \partial N$.

Status
Not open for further replies.