Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Problem of the Week #283 - Dec 11, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Evaluate the integral
$$\int_{-1}^1 \left(\frac{1-x}{1+x}\right)^{\!\!a} \frac{dx}{(x - b)^2}$$
where $0 < a < 1$ and $b > 1$.

-----

Remember to read the POTW submission guidelines to find out how to submit your answers!

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
Hi all,

Due to the Christmas holiday, solutions to the graduate and university POTW will be posted next week. As for this graduate problem, you might want to consider a contour integral involving a dogbone-like contour.

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
No one answered this week's problem. You can read my solution below.

Consider the contour integral $\int_C (z - 1)^a (z + 1)^{-a} (z - b)^{-2}\, dz$ where $C$ is a dogbone contour around $-1$ and $1$. Since $(z - b)^{-2}$ as a pole of order $2$ at $z = b$ (which is outside the contour) and is $O(\lvert z\rvert^{-2})$ as $\lvert z\rvert \to \infty$, then since the integrand is analytic at infinity, it follows from the residue theorem that

$$(e^{-i\pi a} - e^{i\pi a}) \int_{-1}^1 (1 - x)^a(1 + x)^{-a} (x - b)^{-2}\, dx = -2\pi i\operatorname{Res}\limits_{z = b} (z - 1)^a(z + 1)^{-a}(z - b)^{-2}$$

The residue at $z = b$ is $2a\,(b - 1)^{a - 1}(b + 1)^{-a-1}$ and $e^{-i\pi a} - e^{i\pi a} = -2i\sin(\pi \mu)$. Therefore $$-2i\sin \pi a \int_{-1}^1 (1 - x)^a(1+x)^{-a}(x - b)^{-2}\, dx = -4\pi i a\, (b-1)^{a-1}(b+1)^{-a-1}$$ or $$\int_{-1}^1 \left(\frac{1-x}{1+x}\right)^a\frac{dx}{(x-b)^2} = 2\pi a\csc(\pi a)\, (b-1)^{a-1}(b+1)^{-a-1}$$

Status
Not open for further replies.